Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

Pollard

With the Pollard hoopla currently circulating I went back and looked at an article I wrote for isportsweb.com before giving that up for the weekly blog here at CF. I believe I posted it in June of 2009. I'm not sure there is anything especially profound in there but it is a decent rundown of the Pollard timeline. I just thought it might be interesting to share given the topic of the week.

The Unifying Divider | isportsweb

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 12

Re: Pollard

Unfortunately I think JP is getting what he deserves in the basketball program. He came here and undercut a successful coach during year 3. He unjustly fired him without giving him a chance to correct whatever problems he thought were there. This was a coach that took over a mess, had all winning seasons, went 5-2 in post season play, and had by far the best winning percentage against ranked teams of any ISU coach in many decades, maybe ever. He immediately kicked off the only player that got in trouble and improved the team gpa from the prior coach. Was JP out of his mind, or just so arrogant he wanted to get his own guy to try to get the credit. Well he got his own guy and gave him a ridiculous contract, and we've had bad basketball ever since. Call it bad luck, bad karma, or bad coaching, but maybe JP is getting what he deserves. Unfortunately we fans that have loved ISU basketball for decades have to pay the price.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,317
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Unfortunately I think JP is getting what he deserves in the basketball program. He came here and undercut a successful coach during year 3. He unjustly fired him without giving him a chance to correct whatever problems he thought were there. This was a coach that took over a mess, had all winning seasons, went 5-2 in post season play, and had by far the best winning percentage against ranked teams of any ISU coach in many decades, maybe ever. He immediately kicked off the only player that got in trouble and improved the team gpa from the prior coach. Was JP out of his mind, or just so arrogant he wanted to get his own guy to try to get the credit. Well he got his own guy and gave him a ridiculous contract, and we've had bad basketball ever since. Call it bad luck, bad karma, or bad coaching, but maybe JP is getting what he deserves. Unfortunately we fans that have loved ISU basketball for decades have to pay the price.
    Not saying I completely disagree with you, but you are really sugarcoating things with the bolded statement.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 132

A lot of "Pollard worship" in the column. A little over the top.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Oh boy, another crybaby Morgan post from CYKOFAN.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Glad to oblige cykadelic2- I like to get a few facts out there to mix up with the make believe world of the GMac and JP worshipers.

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,193
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 109

There is definitely some truth in your opinion. I have been a JP supporter, but it is hard to argue against your logic. I did think it was the right call at the time but WM on paper is better than WM I remember.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

You do have to consider how disappointing that 05-06 season was. For instance, this year was a disappointment based off of hope of improvement. That year was a disappointment after an NCAA tourney trip.

I wasn't clammoring for Wayne to go but could understand reasons why outside of the new AD wanting to get his guy in there. The direction of the program and APR issues on the horizon were concerning. I have no idea if the problems were to the extent to justify the firing.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Glad to oblige cykadelic2- I like to get a few facts out there to mix up with the make believe world of the GMac and JP worshipers.
    Here's a few facts: D1 Scheduling. Slush Fund. Fired for the 2nd Time. No longer in basketball.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    You do have to consider how disappointing that 05-06 season was. For instance, this year was a disappointment based off of hope of improvement. That year was a disappointment after an NCAA tourney trip.

I wasn't clammoring for Wayne to go but could understand reasons why outside of the new AD wanting to get his guy in there. The direction of the program and APR issues on the horizon were concerning. I have no idea if the problems were to the extent to justify the firing.
    Even if we were coming off of an NCAA tournament and didn't lose many players, it could have been much worse. First, we finished with a winning season and I believe at least five of the games we lost by 5 or less points, so again it was an "almost" thing.

Back to the could have been worse thing though, look at Penn State. They won the NIT last year and they finished this year tonight with a loss, ending at 11-20 while they really lost nobody. We should be careful what we expect and wish for.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,138
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post

We lost our entire front line of Anthony Davis, J. Homan and Damion Staple. Replaced it with new players.....one(Taggert) who became extremely ill the first part of the season and really never recovered...and still came withing 17 points of having a 22 win season. We are all on here amazed this season at how close we were in many of our losses. Well that year we lost 6 games by 17 points. Double standard........you decide.

As for the APR.....I think many of those problems could be laid at the feet of LE and TF. And I doubt too many people were concerned enough about it under either of them to use it as the handle on a axe.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

1) D1 scheduling-A non issue that the NCAA said wasn't worth investigating. 2)Slush fund- What? 3)Fired for the 2nd time-I don't know about the first other than he won a conference title at LBS, maybe another case of not schmoozing the donors. 4) No longer in basketball- Has nothing to do with what he did at ISU. He's almost 60 and probably tired of the travel, pressure, and getting fired by an a.d that knows nothing about basketball.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    Here's a few facts: D1 Scheduling. Slush Fund. Fired for the 2nd Time. No longer in basketball.
    Yeah, this is funny. I love when people bring this up.

1) D1 Scheduling -- The whole thing was about Anthony Davis. Most people can't even tell anyone else the story of Anthony Davis. The whole "scandal" started because they thought we got Anthony Davis basically from the scheduling company doing wrong things. Wrong. Why's it wrong? You ever wonder why nothing happened to ISU via the NCAA?

Here, I'll tell you. Anthony Davis was recruited by Wayne Morgan when he was the head coach at Long Beach State. Davis played one year for Morgan at LBSU, redshirting. When Morgan left LBSU for Iowa State, Davis was basically without his coach, so he went to LACC instead. Morgan started recruiting Davis again when he was at ISU and voila. No violations ever happened to ISU because Davis had played D1 ball for Morgan before D1 Scheduling ever existed.

If there was something, ISU would have had violations against them.

AAA Test Site - Cyclones Sign JUCO Shooter Anthony Davis

2) No longer in basketball -- There's two things going on here. I find it absolutely hilarious some of you could sit back and think Wayne Morgan can't get a head coaching job ANYWHERE in the NCAAs. Really? You are seriously willing to tell me a MAC school isn't going to take a guy who went 55-39 in the Big 12, went to the NIT Semifinals, and the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in just three seasons, and had almost 10 wins in three seasons against ranked opponents? You're joking, right?

No, there's a few reasons why he's not coaching. First and foremost, he has a special needs child in a wheelchair. He happened to build a brand new house for this kid which was completely wheelchair accessible, something they never had before.

Andy Katz Blog Archive - ESPN

Former Iowa State coach Wayne Morgan wrote to every Division I athletic director, detailing that he wasn't fired for cause last spring. Morgan said he wants to get another head coaching job. He is 55 years old and doesn't want to retire. He has a special-needs child and can't just pick up and move to a transitional stop, so he's likely to stay in Ames, Iowa, until he finds a more permanent home. Morgan said he has had some athletic directors call him and tell him they knew he didn't do anything wrong while others told him they thought he had committed a violation.
    Now, for the other part of it. Wayne Morgan could get a coaching job, but after you're in the Big 12, and you have a lot of success, do you seriously think you are going to sell yourself short by going to the MAC? No, he wants another big conference job. I can't believe anyone would actually think a lower conference would never take the guy as a coach.

Let's not forget the articles in the DS Register that came out a few years ago saying he was done with coaching and fully invested in his COMPANY and providing for his family. But we revise history all the time don't we?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 412
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Yeah, this is funny. I love when people bring this up.

1) D1 Scheduling -- The whole thing was about Anthony Davis. Most people can't even tell anyone else the story of Anthony Davis. The whole "scandal" started because they thought we got Anthony Davis basically from the scheduling company doing wrong things. Wrong. Why's it wrong? You ever wonder why nothing happened to ISU via the NCAA?

Here, I'll tell you. Anthony Davis was recruited by Wayne Morgan when he was the head coach at Long Beach State. Davis played one year for Morgan at LBSU, redshirting. When Morgan left LBSU for Iowa State, Davis was basically without his coach, so he went to LACC instead. Morgan started recruiting Davis again when he was at ISU and voila. No violations ever happened to ISU because Davis had played D1 ball for Morgan before D1 Scheduling ever existed.

If there was something, ISU would have had violations against them.

AAA Test Site - Cyclones Sign JUCO Shooter Anthony Davis

2) No longer in basketball -- There's two things going on here. I find it absolutely hilarious some of you could sit back and think Wayne Morgan can't get a head coaching job ANYWHERE in the NCAAs. Really? You are seriously willing to tell me a MAC school isn't going to take a guy who went 55-39 in the Big 12, went to the NIT Semifinals, and the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in just three seasons, and had almost 10 wins in three seasons against ranked opponents? You're joking, right?

No, there's a few reasons why he's not coaching. First and foremost, he has a special needs child in a wheelchair. He happened to build a brand new house for this kid which was completely wheelchair accessible, something they never had before.

Andy Katz Blog Archive - ESPN

Now, for the other part of it. Wayne Morgan could get a coaching job, but after you're in the Big 12, and you have a lot of success, do you seriously think you are going to sell yourself short by going to the MAC? No, he wants another big conference job. I can't believe anyone would actually think a lower conference would never take the guy as a coach.

Let's not forget the articles in the DS Register that came out a few years ago saying he was done with coaching and fully invested in his COMPANY and providing for his family. But we revise history all the time don't we?
    You forgot to highlight the part in Katz's blog that says that he wanted to coach again. I am not saying Morgan wasn't a good coach here. You can make those allegations read either way if you want. IMO he probably didn't do enough to get fired, however the things were at least questionable and on a path that we probably didn't need to follow.

Really I don't care about Morgan's firing. It has nothing to do with the present. It will not change no matter how much ******** there is. I promise that.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 412
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by CYEATHAWK View Post
    We lost our entire front line of Anthony Davis, J. Homan and Damion Staple. Replaced it with new players.....one(Taggert) who became extremely ill the first part of the season and really never recovered...and still came withing 17 points of having a 22 win season. We are all on here amazed this season at how close we were in many of our losses. Well that year we lost 6 games by 17 points. Double standard........you decide.

As for the APR.....I think many of those problems could be laid at the feet of LE and TF. And I doubt too many people were concerned enough about it under either of them to use it as the handle on a axe.
    I would consider this a true statement. I think some were due to the coaching changes along the way which I lay blame on no one for. Wayne Morgan was not a terrible coach. He certainly had more success than Mac. No one knows where we would be if he was still here. I have a little concern over discipline, but again I cannot say that couldn't have changed.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.