Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Shame on SportsTalkMatt

Matt,
    I was able to listed to part of your show on the way home last night. I was tempted to call in, but, in this case, decided to listen as I was not aware of your topic. I joined the conversation part way through and, after a few minutes, was able put together that JP stated that if you don't give money you aren't a fan. I understand the feedback that you received; there are lot's of fans that don't directly financially support the program. In my opinion, it is important to grow the fanbase. I was a little dissappointed in JP's response,

HOWEVER, this morning I actally read the the e-mail that contained the response and, surprisingly, didn't see anything about "not being a fan". I see 4 points: 1) almost all responses were in the positive 2) Wish you would join the cyclone club 3) You should worry about yourself and how you can help the program instead of what previous cyclones should think.

Now, I can see how you made the jump to your conclusion, but you TOTALLY mis-represented the flavor of the words that JP used. By the time I got home, I assumed that JP specifically told the guy that he wasn't a fan. He did no such thing! He told the guy to take action in ways that would actually make a difference, ie buy a ticket or join the Cyclone Club.

What you told most sports fans in Central Iowa is that Jamie Pollard doesn't want you as a fan if you don't give money to the program. I am not going to defend JP's decisions here, but your representation of the letter is disgusting. I assume that most of your listeners won't see the actual words used, they will just hear your intepretation of it. That interpretation was, apparently, jaded and/or an attempt to get people to call your show. It was not, in my opinion, accurate to the extent that you portrayed on your show.

I am dissappointed in your character and actions with respect to this issue.

Believing in Kermuflin since 2009!

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Shame on SportsTalkMatt

1. Yesterday I received over a hundred emails following our letter to ticket holders and donors. Interesting enough, of all the emails I received, the only negative one was from you. Glad to know that your feelings are not shared by the majority of other Cyclone fans."

There is no way that fans are 100 to 1 in favor of retaining GM.

"2. Although I appreciate your passion and desire to write me, I only wish you had the same passion in helping be part of the solution by joining the Cyclone Club or being a season ticket holder. Our records indicate you have never made a donation, purchased season tickets or even purchased a single game ticket from our department. Unfortunately, athletics is like politics - people have a lot of answers but never many solutions."

Part of the solution? How would more money have created better free throw shooting, rebounding, shot selection etc. this season? Doesn't the use of the word solution indicate there is a problem? If so, aren't the AD and the Head coach responsible for resolving that? The comparison to politics is accurate -- in both instances those in power are out of touch and deign to tell those "beneath them" what is best for them.

"3. For someone who claims to be a Cyclone fan for as long as you can remember, it it amusing to me that you never have supported the program that you so claim to love. Rather than spending time worrying about what Orr, Grayer, Hornacek, and others would think - I think you should be more worried about yourself. Your email is actually rather embarrassing given your lack of action."

Actually what is embarrassing is 18 conference wins in 4 years, 0 NCAA Tournament appearances, 0 Big Twelve tournament wins, losing to South Dakota State, player attrition, lack of fundamentals etc. etc. etc.

"Thanks again for your email. I do appreciate it. I also hope you give some thought to my question about joining the Cyclone Club or purchasing season tickets. You can't expect better results if all you are willing to do is sit on the sidelines and write an email to the Athletics Director."

No, we can't expect any better results from a coach who has already promised us that he is not going to change anything...

This fan got roasted for speaking the truth. The truth is that JP has nothing with which to defend this coaching regime or the ridiculous contract which he rewarded GM with. Now he is backed into a corner and is unable to admit that mistakes were made. This is coming from a huge JP fan, FB season ticket holder, single game BB purchaser and 27 year Cyclone fan.

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 805
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 534

Quote Originally Posted by agcy68 View Post
    Matt,
    I was able to listed to part of your show on the way home last night. I was tempted to call in, but, in this case, decided to listen as I was not aware of your topic. I joined the conversation part way through and, after a few minutes, was able put together that JP stated that if you don't give money you aren't a fan. I understand the feedback that you received; there are lot's of fans that don't directly financially support the program. In my opinion, it is important to grow the fanbase. I was a little dissappointed in JP's response,

HOWEVER, this morning I actally read the the e-mail that contained the response and, surprisingly, didn't see anything about "not being a fan". I see 4 points: 1) almost all responses were in the positive 2) Wish you would join the cyclone club 3) You should worry about yourself and how you can help the program instead of what previous cyclones should think.

Now, I can see how you made the jump to your conclusion, but you TOTALLY mis-represented the flavor of the words that JP used. By the time I got home, I assumed that JP specifically told the guy that he wasn't a fan. He did no such thing! He told the guy to take action in ways that would actually make a difference, ie buy a ticket or join the Cyclone Club.

What you told most sports fans in Central Iowa is that Jamie Pollard doesn't want you as a fan if you don't give money to the program. I am not going to defend JP's decisions here, but your representation of the letter is disgusting. I assume that most of your listeners won't see the actual words used, they will just hear your intepretation of it. That interpretation was, apparently, jaded and/or an attempt to get people to call your show. It was not, in my opinion, accurate to the extent that you portrayed on your show.

Absolutely spot on! Good post!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 74

What? He has bad character because Pollard made an *** out of himself?

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    +1. That is apparently the prevailing wisdom around here. None of us can question a decision to retain the services of a man who has won 18 conference games in 4 years. Oh... unless you are a big donor... Then we can listen respectfully to your concerns. Of course, the donors are 100 to 1 in favor of keeping GM

URBCLONE

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't post a lot on here, but I am on the site everyday. I don't think Matt was off on his interpretation of the email. I am a Cyclone Club member, a football and basketball season ticket holder. How Jamie responded wasn't apropriate. He is a public figure and should never talk to a member of the fan base like this regardless if the records show that they have bought tickets before or not. I've already decided that the only way to give my opinion on his decision to retain Mac is to not renew my season tickets next year. I've watched in person 4 bad years of basketball. Too much to handle anymore.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    1. Yesterday I received over a hundred emails following our letter to ticket holders and donors. Interesting enough, of all the emails I received, the only negative one was from you. Glad to know that your feelings are not shared by the majority of other Cyclone fans."

There is no way that fans are 100 to 1 in favor of retaining GM.

"2. Although I appreciate your passion and desire to write me, I only wish you had the same passion in helping be part of the solution by joining the Cyclone Club or being a season ticket holder. Our records indicate you have never made a donation, purchased season tickets or even purchased a single game ticket from our department. Unfortunately, athletics is like politics - people have a lot of answers but never many solutions."

Part of the solution? How would more money have created better free throw shooting, rebounding, shot selection etc. this season? Doesn't the use of the word solution indicate there is a problem? If so, aren't the AD and the Head coach responsible for resolving that? The comparison to politics is accurate -- in both instances those in power are out of touch and deign to tell those "beneath them" what is best for them.

"3. For someone who claims to be a Cyclone fan for as long as you can remember, it it amusing to me that you never have supported the program that you so claim to love. Rather than spending time worrying about what Orr, Grayer, Hornacek, and others would think - I think you should be more worried about yourself. Your email is actually rather embarrassing given your lack of action."

Actually what is embarrassing is 18 conference wins in 4 years, 0 NCAA Tournament appearances, 0 Big Twelve tournament wins, losing to South Dakota State, player attrition, lack of fundamentals etc. etc. etc.

"Thanks again for your email. I do appreciate it. I also hope you give some thought to my question about joining the Cyclone Club or purchasing season tickets. You can't expect better results if all you are willing to do is sit on the sidelines and write an email to the Athletics Director."

No, we can't expect any better results from a coach who has already promised us that he is not going to change anything...

This fan got roasted for speaking the truth. The truth is that JP has nothing with which to defend this coaching regime or the ridiculous contract which he rewarded GM with. Now he is backed into a corner and is unable to admit that mistakes were made. This is coming from a huge JP fan, FB season ticket holder, single game BB purchaser and 27 year Cyclone fan.
    Actually, if this guy and others were NCC members and gave money to the program, we could afford to pay coaches more $$$$. If we could have paid GMac more $$$ in the begining, his contract would have been shorter and it would be easier to get rid of him. If you think GMac sucks as a coach, then great pony up the coin to get rid of him and pony up the coin to get a new coach. That is what JP is saying. AS it is right now, we don't have the $$$ so we get creative with contracts adding length, increasing buyouts, adding stipulations. People like that JA want to complain about GMac's contract but the fact they don't give is exactly why he has the contract he has.
    But that guy is the reason ISU cannot keep up with other schools in the Big 12. With our great MBB history we didn't have a BB practice facility until this fall. If you don't think not having a practice facility hurt recruiting then you are crazy. Its funny how people like the guy that wrote the email wants someone else to pony up $2.5 million to fire GMac but then can't even pay $100 for a NCC membership.
    Laughable

Last edited by tazclone; 03-11-2010 at 07:13 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post

You do not like Pollard do you? (No need to reply as I am the Master of the Obvious!)

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 944
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 25

This graphic should basically be posted after everything Perrault posts on here. His personal vendetta against Pollard makes him really grasp for straws when it comes for reasons to try to make Jamie look bad.

The guy wrote a poorly worded email threatening to not buy tickets or put any money into the program unless McD was fired. Jaimie then called him out on the fact that he never has bought tickets or donated to the program. In my opinion this was not Jamie saying if you don't have season tix you are not a fan, it was him calling out and owning some nobody who was trying to threaten him.

Matt was merely putting words in Jamie's mouth. Jamie came off a little mean sounding but everything he said was basically spot on so Matt had to twist the words to try to shape our opinions of Jamie. Then, when we all basically agreed with what Jamie had said, he was shocked. Sorry, Matt, we don't have the same jilted lover syndrome with Jamie that you do so we can see things as they are.

I am sure Jamie appreciates every fan of the program. I am also sure he would encourage every single fan to give or give more. I am sorry but this is the way college athletics work. His point of donating improving the program more than just writing angry emails is valid. There is a definite hierarchy of fan voices heard: Major Donors > Donors > Season Ticket Holders > Casual Game Attendees > Fans who don't go to games. The major donors and donors have the loudest voices. If you don't think its this way at every college in the country then my friend Tommy is going to come back there and hit you in the head with a tack hammer because you are a ******. The entitlement of some people today is staggering.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    Actually, if this guy and others were NCC members and gave money to the program, we could afford to pay coaches more $$$$. If we could have paid GMac more $$$ in the begining, his contract would have been shorter and it would be easier to get rid of him. If you think GMac sucks as a coach, then great pony up the coin to get rid of him and pony up the coin to get a new coach. That is what JP is saying. AS it is right now, we don't have the $$$ so we get creative with contracts adding length, increasing buyouts, adding stipulations. People like that JA want to complain about GMac's contract but the fact they don't give is exactly why he has the contract he has.
    But that guy is the reason ISU cannot keep up with other schools in the Big 12. With our great MBB history we didn't have a BB practice facility until this fall. If you don't think not having a practice facility hurt recruiting then you are crazy. Its funny how people like the guy that wrote the email wants someone else to pony up $2.5 million to fire GMac but then can't even pay $100 for a NCC membership.
    Laughable
    Somehow JO, TF, and LE managed to win without a practice facility. But by all means blame the fans for not supporting an inferior product. Certainly we cannot lay any blame at the feet of the decision makers who actually run the program. Oh yeah, and then throw in the obligatory shot at ISU BB history. Actually since JO arrived on the scene, ISU has had a decent level of success. In fact, the current 4 year streak of losing seasons (and counting) is the anomaly of the modern era of ISU BB.

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by agcy68 View Post
    Matt,

And these guys wonder why JP won't go on their show. Maybe it is because they misrepresent crap. I can't listen but if that is what Matt said then i just lost a lot of respect for him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 805
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 534

Somehow JO, TF, and LE managed to win without a practice facility. But by all means blame the fans for not supporting an inferior product. Certainly we cannot lay any blame at the feet of the decision makers who actually run the program. Oh yeah, and then throw in the obligatory shot at ISU BB history. Actually since JO arrived on the scene, ISU has had a decent level of success. In fact, the current 4 year streak of losing seasons (and counting) is the anomaly of the modern era of ISU BB.
    ISU basketball history is 102 years old. It didn't just start with Johnny.

Walk On
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well Said!

I really feel shamed of JP how he treated fans

Quote Originally Posted by nboltz View Post
    I don't post a lot on here, but I am on the site everyday. I don't think Matt was off on his interpretation of the email. I am a Cyclone Club member, a football and basketball season ticket holder. How Jamie responded wasn't apropriate. He is a public figure and should never talk to a member of the fan base like this regardless if the records show that they have bought tickets before or not. I've already decided that the only way to give my opinion on his decision to retain Mac is to not renew my season tickets next year. I've watched in person 4 bad years of basketball. Too much to handle anymore.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Exactly. With you 100% on that. I find it disappointing that Pollard can sit there on his high horse and expect fans who are making 20-30K a year in this economy to throw donations to the athletic department with clearly no results. Practice facility built = 15-17.

As a fan, apparently there are two ways to express your concerns. Money, or expressing your concerns through email or letters. If Pollard is going to ignore the latter method because you aren't putting in enough of the former... then I hope I am not the only one seeing the logic fail on this one.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
    ISU basketball history is 102 years old. It didn't just start with Johnny.
    Sure, and somehow WINNERS like JO, TF, and LE managed to defy that past and lead ISU BB to SUCCESS. GM ---- not so much...

URBCLONE