Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Reponse to SportsTalkMatt

Matt, since you seem active on this site I have to respond to a segment of yesterday's show. I have strep throat and couldn't call in so feel free to use as much of this material as you want on tomorrow's show. Should give you at least an hour's worth of material including fan reaction.

Your statement on the air: you were trying to speculate what Gmac meant when he said he wants to build the program "the right way." You weakly theorized that he was taking a shot at Floyd, Eustachy, and Morgan who perhaps were able to have success at Iowa State by doing things less than the right way. You questioned whether ISU could win in the Big 12 doing things the right way.

As a more than 3 decade Cyclone basketball fan I found your insinuation offensive and grossly misinformed. You've been in this market for about a year and from what I can tell know very little about the history of Iowa State basketball. So I will enlighten you on your subject. Read all the way because I'm going to give you some really good fodder for your show, especially at the end.

The success of Floyd, Eustachy, and Morgan was built on the back of Johnny Orr. Not because these guys were somehow shady or corrupt. Johnny is a class guy, was highly respected by his peers, and was a big-time coach even before he came to ISU. There's a reason why Johnny's likeness is on a banner in the rafters at Hilton. His energy and exciting teams created Hilton Magic.

When I was a student at ISU from 88-92 there was so much ticket demand that you had to get in a lottery. My freshman year we got shut out, my soph and jr years we got tickets, and my sr year i worked sports information and attended that way. Even with the lottery you only got a split-season ticket and could attend about half the games. Think about that.

Specific to your radio comments, a coach can recruit winning talent to ISU if he has 3 things: 1) connections in good recruiting areas, 2) is a good recruiter, 3) has some luck. ISU went to the NCAA tourney 9 times in 13 years between 85-97 and 12 times in 21 years between 85-05 because their 4 coaches had these attributes. So far Gmac has shown a little bit of # 2 in getting Brackins and Gilstrap, but had limited connections in the big recruiting markets and has not had much luck.

ISU recruiting history to generate the above success:

Johnny Orr - 1980-81 to 93-94 - 14 seasons. Johnny recruited 2 areas primarily at Michigan -- the state of Michigan and Chicago. His recruits at ISU:

1. Ronnie Harris - Chicago. First stud recruit that helped him build the program. Happens to be Harrison Barnes' father. Attributes: 1, 2
    2. Barry Stevens - Michigan. attributes: 1, 2
    3. Jeff Hornacek - Chicago area. not recruited and worked at Dixie Paper Cup company in Chicago the fall after high school. An aquaintance referred Johnny to Hornacek and Jeff enrolled as a walk on for the spring semester. the rest is history. attribute - heavy # 3
    4. Jeff Grayer - Michigan Mr. Basketball. 1, heavy 2
    5. Gary Thompkins - Michigan. I believe 3rd in Michigan Mr. BB. 1, 2
    6. Victor Alexander - Michigan. 1, 2
    7. Justice Thigpen - Michigan. 1, 2
    8. Fred Hoiberg, Loren Meyer, Julius Michalik - same class. 1, 2, 3 -- some luck because not often that you have 2 NBA players from Iowa in same year.

* Orr resigned after the 94 season and at his press conference specifically said he did not want to leave the cupboard bare for his successor. Class and respect for the program that he built. So he left when Hoiberg, Meyer, and Michalik had a year of eligibility left.

Tim Floyd - 94-95 to 97-98.
    - Floyd inherited the NCAA tourney team left by Johnny which gave him a chance to build for year 2. Recruits:
    1. Dedric Willoughby - played for Floyd at U of New Orleans and followed Floyd to ISU. Had to sit out the first yr with Hoiberg's crew but was Floyd's ace in the hole for year 2. 20 ppg scorer as a 2 guard and Unanimous 1st team all big 8 both yrs at ISU. Clutch player in big games. 3 - i'm calling this luck for ISU
    2. Kelvin Cato - 6'11 shot blocker and rebounder who played very little high school ball and transferred to ISU from DII Lynn College in FL. 1st round pick. 2, 3
    3. Marcus Fizer - only McDonald's all-american recruited by ISU. Fizer's mom was the nurse for Floyd's mom in a senior facility of some kind in Louisiana when Floyd was at UNO. Unbelievable luck that gave ISU the inside track.

I could keep going but the next is that Orr left the cupboard stocked so Floyd could have success, Floyd recruited well and had some luck before taking the Bulls job and he left a solid nucleus and one superstar for Larry Eustachy. Eustachy had BIG TIME success by adding a few of his guys to Floyd's guys and coaching them well. He flamed out due to his drinking problem but still left Jake Sullivan, Jared Homan and others for Wayne Morgan. Homan was the heart and soul of ISU's last tournament team in 05. And the players surrounding him (Stinson, Blalock, Rahshon Clark, Tasheed Carr) were recruited from the east coast because Morgan had a ton of experience and cred in that rich market. Going back to the 3 principles.

The previous paragraph describes a program. One good coach and recruiter leaving some talent for the next good coach and recruiter. It can definitely happen again for ISU. So what happened with McDermott? The chain was broken when the young players and incoming recruits bailed, because it's easy for them to bail with some much eligibility left. And the stud veteran guys, Stinson and Blalock, who can't afford to transfer, mistakenly left early for the NBA but didn't make it. Gmac's whole tenure is different if those guys had stayed for their Sr year, and their pro prospects certainly would have improved. What would Floyd's success have been if Meyer and Hoiberg left early? or Eustachy's if Fizer had declared after his soph year?

So given all that incoming attrition what could Gmac have done to improve his chances of getting off to a faster start at ISU? .........here's your best material.....

Told Kwadzo Ahelegbe, Adam Koch, and Jordan Egleseder to follow him to ISU. They would have followed (McDermott was the big name at that time, not Jacobson), UNI would have left them out of their letters of intent, the NCAA allows recruits out of their commitments if the coach leaves (see P'Allen Stinnett and Lawrence Westbrook who were ISU's best signees when Gmac took the job). And these guys all would be quality Big 12 players. Especially Kwadzo. There are only 2 PGs better than him in the Big 12 - Collins and Clemente. The result 4 years later is probably that ISU has a tournament team, maybe a couple, and UNI would have been buried.

But Gmac told those players to honor their commitments to UNI. That is an example of him doing things "the right way." It was a standup move at the time by Gmac but I will bet that he has thought many times how nice it would be to have those guys running along side Brackins and Gilstrap.

This is what I wanted to say had a been able to call in. But I don't think you would have given me the time anyway. (btw, this is not written in defense of Gmac. I lean toward replacing him because his best returning players are too old to transfer and not good enough to turn pro -- Garrett, Christopherson, Dendy, Hamilton, Vander Beeken, Boozer. a new coach would inherit a decent nucleus.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Matt

I was only able to listen to a few minutes of the show before...

You asked a question (can't remember the exact wording), something along the lines of "are you ok with Jamie's email?"

My answer:

Yes.

You and Ken, IMO, are taking it a little to far when you repeatedly say "Jamie doesn't consider you a fan if you don't donate." Well, no, Jamie's email never said that. He never told the Rainey kid he wasn't a "fan." And he's not saying that those who don't donate aren't "fans" either. They may have closets full of ISU gear - I'm sure Pollard would say- "Hey! That guy has a bunch of ISU gear - I bet he's a "fan"!"

So, IN A NUTSHELL, what Jamie is saying is that you are lower priority to complain than someone who donates consistently. Which makes complete sense. If Jim gives more money than Joe, Jim should have a say before Joe does. Makes sense. Every AD thinks that way. It's not just Jamie, and you know that.

Was his email a little snarky? Yeah. JP probably should have worded it better. Not the usual tone I've seen in JP emails. When he emails me back, he's usually more courteous, and I've sent emails to him that contained criticism.

But I just think you're taking things WAY, WAY too far just to dramatize a situation involving a guy you don't really like. Just admit it, you do not really care all that much for Jamie Pollard. And that's ok! You're not alone.

I'm not a blind follower of JP. He's done some great things for our athletic department but some decisions he's made I don't agree with. And he comes off as annoying at times. But overall, I support him and appreciate his hard work.

After reading the that email, I realized a couple things; I'm not a season ticket holder (I buy from my brother who has extra tickets in football and buy from a friend who has extra tickets in basketball) and I am not a member of the Cyclone Club.

You can bet your ***** on 2 things: By the end of the week, I will officially be apart of the Cyclone Club and will be an official season ticket holder of Iowa State football.

Jamie's asking me to step up with support. I will. That way when I have something to say to Jamie, I won't be at the end of the line. I can afford to.

Those that cannot? Doesn't mean you are not a "fan." Jamie didn't say you're not a fan and didn't say he doesn't want you to try like hell to make it to games and buy tickets from scalpers, etc etc. He knows you're important too. You're just not as important as I am going to be when I become a donor. He WILL listen to your voice but he's going to listen to MINE first. You can complain all you want, but he's going to listen to my complaints first. It's as simple as that. It's the COLD HARD TRUTH of collegiate athletics. He wouldn't be doing his job if he did it any other way.

Again...I just cannot see why this is such a big deal. Your "in a nutshell" view of that email is completely different than how I and everyone I talked to today read it. And I discussed this with Cyclone fans and non-Cyclone fans. We all agreed on my points above and find it odd how big of a story and elaboration this has turned into.

I am in my 20's just like the caller you had on about a half hour ago. I graduated from ISU over a year ago and am in my first real world job. You told that caller that Jamie doesn't think he's a fan because he can't afford to donate, buy tickets, etc. Ugh. Jamie didn't say that fellas...he simply did not say that. In my opinion, you are stretching and twisting what Jamie typed to make it seem as bas as it possibly can and make Jamie look as bad as he possibly can.

It'd be so much more enjoyable if you guys could focus on something more relevant...like say our big matchup tonight with Texas!?

(JMHO)

O and by the way, the email itself- if I'm AD and you send me an email b!tching about a coach I hired and student athletes...I'd probably get a little defensive too. Wouldn't anyone? Sometimes we go with our gut, it's human nature, even when it's not always a good idea.

Last edited by Cloned4Life; 03-11-2010 at 09:44 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Re: Reponse to SportsTalkMatt

Too much time on your hands?

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 17

My only question is does the email program at KXNO have a reply button? Because I never seem to get a reply from anyone there.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 643
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Re: Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    After reading the that email, I realized a couple things; I'm not a season ticket holder (I buy from my brother who has extra tickets in football and buy from a friend who has extra tickets in basketball) and I am not a member of the Cyclone Club.

You can bet your ***** on 2 things: By the end of the week, I will officially be apart of the Cyclone Club and will be an official season ticket holder of Iowa State football.

Jamie's asking me to step up with support. I will. That way when I have something to say to Jamie, I won't be at the end of the line. I can afford to.
    I just joined the National Cyclone Club. I was thinking about it more and more and I believe Jamie is right. You have the right to ***** if you're not a donor, but you really can't expect to be heard unless you're actively donating to the program. I put in for the century club membership, it's all I feel comfortable doing at this time with my wife being in medical school.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    My only question is does the email program at KXNO have a reply button? Because I never seem to get a reply from anyone there.
    We get a lot of email. We apologize for not replying to you. If you resend - I'll be sure to answer it.

mp

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Sportstalkmatt View Post
    We get a lot of email. We apologize for not replying to you. If you resend - I'll be sure to answer it.

mp

Pollard does also, yet he usually replys. It was last week about the BB situation it doesnt matter now. Its just the fact that it is hard to get our voice on you station when there is little call in time and it seems like you dont get our emails.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne