Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Ferentz vs. Chizik...who would you take?

Kirk Ferentz has done wonderful things at Iowa...but is he washed up. The Glen Mason of the Big 10 who is fading fast? Given a choice of Gene Chizik, an unproven head coach or Kirk Fenentz who would you take? For my money, I'd take the up and comer, Chizik. I sense an arrogance has set in with Fenentz and that may be his undoing at Iowa. Any other thoughts?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 15

Re: Ferentz vs. Chizik...who would you take?

Well I would not call Ferentz washed up by any means. He will not be a yearly Big 10 title contender like Ohio State and Michigan, but he will get his signature seasons like 2002. He's not done by a long shot.

I still take Chizik, because I'm already a hopeless Chizik homer, but there's something to be said of the tried and true choice in Ferentz.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Arrow Re: Ferentz vs. Chizik...who would you take?

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Kirk Ferentz has done wonderful things at Iowa...but is he washed up. The Glen Mason of the Big 10 who is fading fast? Given a choice of Gene Chizik, an unproven head coach or Kirk Fenentz who would you take? For my money, I'd take the up and comer, Chizik. I sense an arrogance has set in with Fenentz and that may be his undoing at Iowa. Any other thoughts?
    I know Kirk Ferentz as our twelve y/o sons play baseball and basketball on the same teams. I can both like the man and still hate the hawks, which is exactly how I play it! Anyway, you'll be hard-pressed to find a nicer guy than Kirk Ferentz, so I think you're off base with the arrogant description! Only time will tell if he's "washed up"...

It is my hope and desire that Gene Chizik will be exactly like Kirk Ferentz, leading ISU to previously unknown levels of success with class and dignity while remaining loyal to the program when suitors come calling.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 113

I hope Chizik will differ from Furents in the fact that his O and D coordinators call bland/boring schemes that are so predictable that the only way they win is that they lull you to sleep.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

I hope they're similar in the sense that they can lure solid recruits to this state and develop offensive linemen. I hope they differ in their defensive philosophy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

wow, are we fixated on EIU or what....

IMHO, Chizik hasn't coached a down at ISU as a head coach yet... so until the I really can't say. As a person KF seems like a really decent guy, as does our GC. KF did turn Iowa around in year #3, and hopefully GC can do the same at ISU if not sooner.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Well Chizik has coached and won 0 games as a head coach. Ferentz had won a nice number of games.

So today, I'd take a Kirk Ferentz. To say the man is arrogant and washed up couldn't be anything further from the truth.

Having said that, the question is quite premature for the reason above - we don't know what Chizik can do. Ask me in about 4-6 years.

Hopefully then I'll said with no hesitation, Chizik.

Addict
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,764
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 4

Are we really discussing this? I'm sorry but there is no way to make any comparison. Chizik has been here 6 months, ferentz has been at Iowa for 8 years.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

It depends. Are we talking about taking them to the Prom? If so, I'd take Chizik, all the girls would flock around us. If I was taking one to the zoo, I'd take Ferentz. That way I could leave him in the Tiger pit.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

No one can make a case for Chizik right now without some MAJOR homerism.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 31

iccyfan,

Have you ever asked Kirk how he could be making a couple million per year and let his son Brian live in HUD housing while pocketing his stipend money from the University of Iowa?

That exhibited a lack of character for Kirk as far as I am concerned. I thought that was really sleazy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    iccyfan,

Have you ever asked Kirk how he could be making a couple million per year and let his son Brian live in HUD housing while pocketing his stipend money from the University of Iowa?

That exhibited a lack of character for Kirk as far as I am concerned. I thought that was really sleazy.
    I'm pretty sure he didn't know about it. Whether he should have known or not, that is a different question . . .

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    I'm pretty sure he didn't know about it. Whether he should have known or not, that is a different question . . .

I would buy that, except that their coaches used the free housing thing as a recruiting tool.

Plus, when he saw what his son was "paying" for rent, then he had to question the morality of it.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Alright if I answer this I have a feeling that this could start a nice banter between fan bases but what the hell.

Brian earned his scholarship to the University of Iowa as a football player. If he wasn't on scholarship he wouldn't have been able to partcipate in some of the special benefits that scholarship players receive. For example training table is the biggest benefit, along with special academic support and tutors. There are also other little things but I'm not going into the details of a scholarship athlete vs. a walk-on. The monthly stipend he received could have been used for housing but how he spends it is his own business.

Sure his Dad is a football coach who makes millions of dollars but he is not dependent upon his father once he was in college. It was Kirk's way of telling him that you need to earn some things and hard work can go a long way. He could've remained in the dorms but he choose to live in the section 8 housing. Under the guidelines he qualified for the apartments and he was granted one. Now sure there may have been other people in situations a little more desperate than Brian but c'mon just because his Dad makes all that money doesn't mean he is still receiving a weekly allowance from Dad.

Now what he did I don't necessarily agree with but I get tired of hearing about how his Dad makes so much money but yet he didn't receive any money from him for school.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Hawk, I think the biggest problem is that when you file your FAFSA reports, your parents (according to the government) are expected to pay for I think at least 30% of your tuition/room and board, etc. If this wasn't taken into account when he took the HUD housing, then there's a problem. If it was, and he still qualified over the other people vying for that same thing, then there is no problem at all in my eyes. It all just depends on how it was gone about, and if he got "special treatment" because of who he is to get that housing.

"Seven minutes to glory."