Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Gmac vs. Dmac

Okay, keep in mind, I'm not saying I was against getting rid of Dannymac, just so you know where I stand on that. But, it's hard for me to understand, outside of financial ramifications, how Pollard can give Gmac his glowing endorsement considering that he pulled the plug on a guy who took a doormat program to some nice success. I know Dmac's last year was bad, but look at the consistantly declining performances we've had in BBall in the Big 12 under Gmac. And I really don't buy the financial reason because I know you can drum up cash from donors to make the buy out happen if you really want to. Just thinking out loud.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 97

Re: Gmac vs. Dmac

Because an AD can never really take full credit for the success of a guy he didn't hire. Therefore, it's easier to pull the plug on a guy that's not his own, even if you find the situation similar.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by clonetil01 View Post
    Okay, keep in mind, I'm not saying I was against getting rid of Dannymac, just so you know where I stand on that. But, it's hard for me to understand, outside of financial ramifications, how Pollard can give Gmac his glowing endorsement considering that he pulled the plug on a guy who took a doormat program to some nice success. I know Dmac's last year was bad, but look at the consistantly declining performances we've had in BBall in the Big 12 under Gmac. And I really don't buy the financial reason because I know you can drum up cash from donors to make the buy out happen if you really want to. Just thinking out loud.
    I'm not sure about this? Have you done fund raising before? Asking people to donate millions of dollars for buildings, facility upgrades or investment in things that will clearly result in an improvement is extremely hard to begin with, but then to try to get individuals to get out their checkbooks just to help out of a situation that will resolve itself in a couple of years anyway, would be next to impossible. That's just my thoughts, speaking from small-scale fund raising experience.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 11

Apples and oranges, my friend, apples and oranges.

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I am actually tired of the comparison to DM and GM in regards to Jamie Pollard. I think the more accurate comparison is DMac/Gene Smith (year 4, I believe) with GMac/Jamie Pollard. There was considerable debate on whether Gene Smith would or should extend DMac before he had any success at ISU. I think its similar to this situation.

You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain. -Brian Griffin

Somebody's gotta go back and get a ----load of dimes. -Taggart

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 74

And I really don't buy the financial reason because I know you can drum up cash from donors to make the buy out happen if you really want to. Just thinking out loud.
    The finanical thing is BS, the buyout can be made just on lost ticket sales. But I think JP has money and support from donors who want to have Mac as their BB coach. I really think he has donors commited to making up any loss of money from falling BB ticket sales.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Cycloin View Post
    I am actually tired of the comparison to DM and GM in regards to Jamie Pollard. I think the more accurate comparison is DMac/Gene Smith (year 4, I believe) with GMac/Jamie Pollard. There was considerable debate on whether Gene Smith would or should extend DMac before he had any success at ISU. I think its similar to this situation.
    Good post. Many didnt think Mac was right for the job going into year 4. Then he beats Iowa and gets an extension. Mac also got the right win at the right time. IMO, if TD isnt RB in Ames when Mac gets here he would have only lasted 4 years.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I know Dmac's last year was bad, but look at the consistantly declining performances we've had .
    No doubt about it Danny Mac had alot of consistent "declining performances" as well. It just wasn't the last year - it was pretty much EVERY YEAR. You have to be consistently bad to go 56-87. One good year in twelve.

3-8
    2-9
    1-10
    3-8
    4-7
    9-3
    7-5
    7-7
    2-10
    7-5
    7-5
    4-8

Last edited by GoShow97; 03-10-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16

i was debating this with myself yesterday. i dont entirely get it, but i think with dmac we def had a better team than anyone in the north, and should have beat several of the teams we didnt. im not entirely convinced in basketball that we do have a better team than most. im not so sure gil is a nba player, brackins is, but we will see. our guards are not the best yet, and we are slow... so i think dmac had a better team and made really bad coaching mistakes even though i loved him. gmac i can decide.. the product looks really bad regardless...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 8

kingcy- I think the win against K-State was a relief after all the close losses, but I think JP would have come out in support of GMac even had we lost that game, and I thought he said something to that effect. The win was great, but K-State went 3-23 for 3's and that was a great gift since many of them were wide open. If we follow up with a win tonight I'll have more belief that we actually improved at the end of the year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 39

Completely different situation. First and foremost, Dan had 12 years and he peaked in year 6. After that he failed to capitalize on that success by bringing in the talent by using that success. He then had absolutely golden opportunities win win the North and never got it done. He had a 0 conference win season and a 1 win season. The talent pool was also not getting deeper. We were not getting to the next level with him and it was evident.

Now, I know Mac has had no success. He also has had only 4 years. I believe next year is for his job. The difference I see is there has not been a decline in performance. Mac set a precedent with that one season and then he never lived up to it. I believe that precedent, in the end really may have cost him the job.

At the time I was on the fence for Dan, but in hindsight he just was not going to get us where we want to be. There is a reason he hasn't climbed the ladder again. I love the guy to death and truly believe he is still rooting for us and I also believe he knows it was the right choice for us and likely for himself.

Greg needs, at worst, the NIT next year. If not he needs to go. If he gets to the NCAA and then in the following years does not and has a couple horrible years then we can compare the two, but right now I don't feel it is fair to Jamie to compare these two. Yes, Dan took over a program in worse shape but he brought it out of that and then it fell off. Look at the talent. Look at the contributors last year. The Seniors and RS juniors were his last class. How many contributed largely? ARob was brought back by Gene so I cannot really give Dan that the credit for him. AA was here no matter who the coach was. Jesse was a walk on. We played a ton of very young guys.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

DMac had lost the fan base just like Morgan had lost the fan base. Even when we were in the running for the North, DMac was losing the fanbase. When we failed to win The North, it solidified it for many fans. Many fans thougth that DMac had done the best he could and the program was stagnating. They did not like his gameday coaching and felt he failed to build on the momentum he had. Since he failed at continued improvement it was time. Whether you agree or not, that is what most fans and in particular big donors felt. We were also ramping up a huge fundraising drive. That could not be accomplished with a fan base that was not supporting their coach or excited about the program. We would not have the upgrades we have today if DMac was kept. At the same time, Morgan was losing the MBB fan base so we were losing in both areas. Firing DMac brought optimism and hope to the fans and alllowed for a lot of fundraising.

Right now, the FB program has a lot of momentum and since it pays the bills, the financial ramifications are much less. The fanbase as a whole has not given up on GMac. Some view his failures as bad luck, some think he had a growing period to adjust, some understand our APR will be better next year if GMac stays, some want stability in a program that has not had any. Some just want GMac gone. I just don't see as big a % wanting GMac gone as wanted DMac gone. That and MBB doesn't drive the revenue that FB does. WE can withstand another year as long as FB has the momentum and drives the NCC memeberships.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 254

9-3
    7-5
    7-7
    2-10
    7-5
    7-5
    No offense but that is the best 6 year run in Iowa State History right there.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    The Seniors and RS juniors were his last class. How many contributed largely? ARob was brought back by Gene so I cannot really give Dan that the credit for him. AA was here no matter who the coach was. Jesse was a walk on. We played a ton of very young guys.
    You'd better check the starters from last year - most were Dmac recruits.
    Also, you'd better ask AA why he came here over Iowa.
    Aslo, you'd better ask Jesse Smith why he walked on here over other scholarship offers...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I also don't think JP wanted to pull the plug on DMac. I think if he went with his heart, DMac would still be the coach today. JP respected DMac and liked him but DMaac had lost the fanbase and JP had no option.