Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 645
    Given: 581

My march madness top 4 seed predictions

I decided to predict the top 4 seeds going into the dance. I wanted to do it now because it's more of a prediction/projection before the major conference tournaments begin. One big thing that I used in my criteria was how the team is doing as of late. The selection committee has really looked at how teams finished in the past few years.

#1 Seeds: Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse, Ohio State

-Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse are no brainers in my opinion. As long as they all win at least one game in their conference tournament, no surprises here.

-I think Ohio State gets the nod because most of their losses came when probably player of the year, Evan Turner was out for 6 games with a broken bone in his back. He averages over 19 points a game, 9 rebounds a game, almost 6 assists a game, and almost 2 steals a game. He reminds me of a Carmello Anthony back in 2003 the way he can decide games.

#2 Seeds: Purdue, West Virginia, Duke, Villanova

-I think Duke gets tripped up in the ACC conference tournament showing that the ACC isn't very top heavy this year compared to years in the past.
    -Purdue has lost luster unfortunately due to Hummel's exit. Yes, they've won since he's been out, but its been against two Big 10 bottom feeders (Penn State and Indiana.)

-The West Virginia vs. Villanova game on Saturday looked like a battle between two great teams. If either team dominiates to a Big East tournament championship, they could possibly be the 4th #1 seed if Ohio State bows out early.

#3 Seeds: New Mexico, Kansas State, Michigan State, Maryland

-Besides Wisconsin, Maryland is the "fly under the radar" team of the year in my mind. People see the 7 losses and the fact that they're in a down ACC year and write them off, but they are on a 7 game winning streak including a win against Duke. Of their 7 losses, one was to William and Mary who by the way was a 22 game winner and 8 points away from making the big dance. Other losses were to Villanova and Wisconsin.

-Kansas State stubbed their toe against the Cyclones, but are a very tough team with multiple guys who can take the game over and score in bunches.

- Michigan State has verteran leaders and a coach proven to take the team far into the big dance year after year. I could easily see them creep into the final 4.

- New Mexico is having the best season in their school history and is on a 14 game winning streak with wins over 3 ranked teams during that run.

#4 Seeds: Butler, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, Tennessee

-You might think giving Butler a #4 seed seems a bit high given that most projections show them to be a #6 seed. I think they are well deserving of a #4 seed. First of all, Butler hasn't lost since before Christmas! That's 19 games in a row. Granted they play in an easier conference, but they did beat Ohio State and Xavier to pad their resume. Of their four losses, 3 were to ranked teams at the time, and the 4th was to a good bubble team in UAB. The tournament selection committee has seemed to penalize teams for bad losses, and Butler clearly has none this year.

-In my mind, Pittsburgh could be a #2 seed before its all said in done, but the reason I put them here is because of a weaker non conference schedule, a bad loss to Indiana earlier in the season, a bad loss to Notre Dame, and struggling with St. John's and Providence as of late. To play the other side of the fence, it's hard to ignore their 10 point win AT Syracuse, and wins over 'Nova and West Virginia.

-Wisconsin is extremely underrated with wins over Duke, Maryland, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue.

-Tennessee could easily be a higher seed as well with wins over Kansas and Kentucky, and nearly beating Purdue. They also have some perplexing losses such as losing to USC and Georgia. All of their other losses were to top SEC teams and potential NCAA tournament teams.

It will be exciting to see how it shakes out as this is in my opinion the best sports time of year!

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 54

Re: My march madness top 4 seed predictions

I think the Big East tourney will have a lot to do with seedings. We shall see.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Agreed. If Nova or West Virginia wins it and Duke loses, they'll probably get the 4th number 1 seed. If Pitt wins it, they could jump to a number 2 or possibly number1

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    I decided to predict the top 4 seeds going into the dance. I wanted to do it now because it's more of a prediction/projection before the major conference tournaments begin. One big thing that I used in my criteria was how the team is doing as of late. The selection committee has really looked at how teams finished in the past few years.

#1 Seeds: Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse, Ohio State

-Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse are no brainers in my opinion. As long as they all win at least one game in their conference tournament, no surprises here.

-I think Ohio State gets the nod because most of their losses came when probably player of the year, Evan Turner was out for 6 games with a broken bone in his back. He averages over 19 points a game, 9 rebounds a game, almost 6 assists a game, and almost 2 steals a game. He reminds me of a Carmello Anthony back in 2003 the way he can decide games.

#2 Seeds: Purdue, West Virginia, Duke, Villanova

-I think Duke gets tripped up in the ACC conference tournament showing that the ACC isn't very top heavy this year compared to years in the past.
    -Purdue has lost luster unfortunately due to Hummel's exit. Yes, they've won since he's been out, but its been against two Big 10 bottom feeders (Penn State and Indiana.)

-The West Virginia vs. Villanova game on Saturday looked like a battle between two great teams. If either team dominiates to a Big East tournament championship, they could possibly be the 4th #1 seed if Ohio State bows out early.

#3 Seeds: New Mexico, Kansas State, Michigan State, Maryland

-Besides Wisconsin, Maryland is the "fly under the radar" team of the year in my mind. People see the 7 losses and the fact that they're in a down ACC year and write them off, but they are on a 7 game winning streak including a win against Duke. Of their 7 losses, one was to William and Mary who by the way was a 22 game winner and 8 points away from making the big dance. Other losses were to Villanova and Wisconsin.

-Kansas State stubbed their toe against the Cyclones, but are a very tough team with multiple guys who can take the game over and score in bunches.

- Michigan State has verteran leaders and a coach proven to take the team far into the big dance year after year. I could easily see them creep into the final 4.

- New Mexico is having the best season in their school history and is on a 14 game winning streak with wins over 3 ranked teams during that run.

#4 Seeds: Butler, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, Tennessee

-You might think giving Butler a #4 seed seems a bit high given that most projections show them to be a #6 seed. I think they are well deserving of a #4 seed. First of all, Butler hasn't lost since before Christmas! That's 19 games in a row. Granted they play in an easier conference, but they did beat Ohio State and Xavier to pad their resume. Of their four losses, 3 were to ranked teams at the time, and the 4th was to a good bubble team in UAB. The tournament selection committee has seemed to penalize teams for bad losses, and Butler clearly has none this year.

-In my mind, Pittsburgh could be a #2 seed before its all said in done, but the reason I put them here is because of a weaker non conference schedule, a bad loss to Indiana earlier in the season, a bad loss to Notre Dame, and struggling with St. John's and Providence as of late. To play the other side of the fence, it's hard to ignore their 10 point win AT Syracuse, and wins over 'Nova and West Virginia.

-Wisconsin is extremely underrated with wins over Duke, Maryland, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue.

-Tennessee could easily be a higher seed as well with wins over Kansas and Kentucky, and nearly beating Purdue. They also have some perplexing losses such as losing to USC and Georgia. All of their other losses were to top SEC teams and potential NCAA tournament teams.

It will be exciting to see how it shakes out as this is in my opinion the best sports time of year!
    My picks are whatever Joe Lanardi says.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Joe Lanardi always tries to make himself look great putting predictions out right before they announce and after its all said and done. I respect the guys that come out early and predict.

@RandomGeoFacts