Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 204
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,614, Level: 68
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,954
    Points
    49,614
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 10

    Let's end some myths

    I actually get tired of defending Morgan, but I've stated before that as long as some keep posting rumors and opinions that ignore the facts, I'll keep defending Morgan. Myth 1 is that Morgan could recruit but couldn't coach. Then how do people explain that he beat many ranked teams that had NBA talent while he had none of his own. His record against ranked teams is far better than even Orr, Floyd and LE, who had pros like Grayer, Hornacek, Hoiberg, Cato, Fizer and Tinsley to work with. Another myth is that his practices were unorganized chaos (though that's contradicted by some). So again how did he beat those ranked teams and go 5-2 in the NIT and NCAA? Don't most coaches say that a team plays like it practices? Again a myth that holds no water. Another myth is that Morgan had undisciplined players that some have called thugs. George is the only player I can think of who got in trouble and he was booted immediately. In fact I haven't heard of any of Morgan's kids in any trouble since they graduated. Fact is almost all of Morgan's recruits were good kids and still are. Fact is Morgan did a very good job at ISU, especially taking over a program in scandal and having trouble getting anybody to take the job. Defend Mac all you want, just don't do it by dissing Morgan because that's ignoring the facts.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's end some myths

    While I would prefer more spaces and paragraph seperation, I agree with your point.

    Morgan gets badmouthed because it needs to be that way or the current adminstration takes a lot of heat. He did a pretty bang-up job for being the 10th or 12th candidate on the list, and does not get enough credit for it.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 60,033, Level: 75
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyched's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    2,551
    Points
    60,033
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 75

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Is the accusation he let players drive themselves to away games a myth too? Just curious


    Quote Originally Posted by CloneinWDSM View Post
    LOL ya right. If we win 9 games, I'll wax my entire body.

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 18,636, Level: 41
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    TxCycloneFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bastrop TX
    Posts
    1,483
    Points
    18,636
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's end some myths

    You had me at 5-2 in post season.


    Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 9,879, Level: 29
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Klubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    417
    Points
    9,879
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Another Morgan Myth:

    He left the program in shambles, got us put on NCAA probation and close to the so-called "death penalty". I can't believe how many posters on here actually believe this to a degree. The fact is we never were put on any type of NCAA probation for that whole scheduling thing. It turned out to be a minor issue.


    Last edited by Klubber; 03-09-2010 at 11:32 AM.

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 469,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,705
    Points
    469,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Fine - time to break up what seems to be the #1 myth of them all-

    Just because McDermott hasn't worked out here (to this point) means that it was an absolute mistake to get rid of Morgan. Which is an absolute fallacy - just because McDermott followed Morgan has absolutely no bearing on whether it was the wrong decision to fire Morgan. But yet most Morgan defenders want to link the two together - "McDermott's been an absolute failure - we never should never have fired Morgan!" They are two independent arguments, yet people continue to argue as if they're related.

    As far as Morgan being a good gameday coach - I didn't realize good gameday coaches fell asleep on the bench in the middle of the game...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,744, Level: 95
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    94,744
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Quote Originally Posted by Klubber View Post
    Another Morgan Myth: He left the program in shambles, got us put on NCAA probation and close to the so-called "death penalty". I can't believe how many posters on here actually believe this to a degree. The fact is we never were put on any type of NCAA probation for that whole scheduling thing. It turned out to be a minor issue.
    Wrong...A lot had to due with coaching change, but still wrong.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    As far as Morgan being a good gameday coach - I didn't realize good gameday coaches fell asleep on the bench in the middle of the game...
    it would have been a better potshot if our current coach won games by staying awake.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    Wrong...A lot had to due with coaching change, but still wrong.
    Myth 217: GMac is Jesus.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 469,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,705
    Points
    469,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    it would have been a better potshot if our current coach won games by staying awake.
    Once again - quit relating the two. McDermott's failure as ISU's head coach has no bearing as to whether we should have kept Morgan or not - the essence of my entire argument which you completely and conveniently ignored..


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Once again - quit relating the two. McDermott's failure as ISU's head coach has no bearing as to whether we should have kept Morgan or not - the essence of my entire argument which you completely and conveniently ignored..
    fine,

    -> GMac should win more.
    -> Morgan is also a type of pony.



  12. #12
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwest Iowa
    Posts
    113
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's end some myths

    I loved his full court press style, we had a sick defense when we did that with clarks length



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 469,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,705
    Points
    469,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

    Re: Let's end some myths

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    fine,

    -> GMac should win more.
    -> Morgan is also a type of pony.
    No arguments whatsoever.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 154,217, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,602
    Points
    154,217
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 7

    Re: Let's end some myths

    I don't necessarily agree with the notion that Morgan was a bad bench coach. Just because he was passive on the bench, didn't make him a bad bench coach. Also, he had players he trusted to make in game changes based on what they see on the court. Was Tony Dungy a bad coach for letting Peyton Manning change plays at the line? Granted, comparing Wayne to Dungy is a bit of a weak comparssion, but you get my point...



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,614, Level: 68
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,954
    Points
    49,614
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 10

    Re: Let's end some myths

    jdoggivjc-Believe me, my outrage at Morgan getting canned goes back 4 years and has nothing to do with GMac. I don't know if posts can be checked out back that far, but I can assure you I was screaming bloody murder about the possibility of Morgan getting canned even before it happened.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM