Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Summer Jobs

  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 17,383, Level: 40
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    715
    Points
    17,383
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Summer Jobs

    Any one have any great ideas for a summer job opportunity for a college student? The closer to Des Moines the better.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 224,773, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,445
    Points
    224,773
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,038
    Given: 505

    Re: Summer Jobs

    I made the best money roofing houses. I got to be outside, got a nice tan, and made a lot of money. Of course its hard and you work some long hours, but it really pays off in the long run.
    You could also get on with a landscaping crew or construction.
    You could try getting an internship, it may not pay as well (if at all) but is always nice to get some experience in your field and a nice resume builder.
    Assuming you are a student at ISU, check the student job board. There seems to be a lot of jobs for college students, although most of those are in the Ames area or closely surrounding.


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 28,992, Level: 52
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 758
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,785
    Points
    28,992
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 7

    Re: Summer Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    I made the best money roofing houses. I got to be outside, got a nice tan, and made a lot of money. Of course its hard and you work some long hours, but it really pays off in the long run.
    You could also get on with a landscaping crew or construction.
    You could try getting an internship, it may not pay as well (if at all) but is always nice to get some experience in your field and a nice resume builder.
    Assuming you are a student at ISU, check the student job board. There seems to be a lot of jobs for college students, although most of those are in the Ames area or closely surrounding.
    Last summer was beautiful for roofing, nice and cool which made the job about 50% better.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 224,773, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,445
    Points
    224,773
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,038
    Given: 505

    Re: Summer Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    Last summer was beautiful for roofing, nice and cool which made the job about 50% better.
    Very true. I can only remember maybe 2-3 days where it was really hot and humid. Other than that, it was a walk in the park.


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,311, Level: 32
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    287
    Points
    11,311
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 5

    Re: Summer Jobs

    Check usajobs.gov and search for Des Moines. They've started posting summer intern positions.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 22,816, Level: 46
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    yler4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,866
    Points
    22,816
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 186

    Re: Summer Jobs

    If at all possible, I would recommend getting an internship. You can never have to much experience in your field of study. My degree required me to have a minimum of 400hrs in and internship position and I think it really paid off.


    Cyclone Sports: The next best thing since MOTHER'S MILK!

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 26,014, Level: 49
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    redrocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames - West-CY'd
    Posts
    2,248
    Points
    26,014
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 31

    Re: Summer Jobs

    I worked at IBP one summer (pork slaughter house). Funny how my grades really improved that next semester.



    32 years later and I am still riding on the back.

    I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 17,204, Level: 39
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    712
    Points
    17,204
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 40

    Re: Summer Jobs

    I always got summer jobs working on the railroad. Made a lot of money, not much fun.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 22,816, Level: 46
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    yler4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,866
    Points
    22,816
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 186

    Re: Summer Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
    I worked at IBP one summer (pork slaughter house). Funny how my grades really improved that next semester.
    I actually interned at Hormel Foods in Fremont, NE. It is bad when I was located at 1 of 4 plants out of many that they slaughtered in, but also had to live in Nebraska. I actually had to go the first 2 weeks with out cable, because their cable company was Time Warner out of Omaha. Talk about fun. The neat thing was I found out where the library was and used their internet, but still counted more mullets at the library in one day than I had seen in my whole life.


    Cyclone Sports: The next best thing since MOTHER'S MILK!

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 565,984, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,664
    Points
    565,984
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 552
    Given: 274

    Re: Summer Jobs

    Seed companies are always looking for reliable summer help.




  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 23,562, Level: 47
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,620
    Points
    23,562
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: Summer Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by yler4cy View Post
    I actually interned at Hormel Foods in Fremont, NE. It is bad when I was located at 1 of 4 plants out of many that they slaughtered in, but also had to live in Nebraska. I actually had to go the first 2 weeks with out cable, because their cable company was Time Warner out of Omaha. Talk about fun. The neat thing was I found out where the library was and used their internet, but still counted more mullets at the library in one day than I had seen in my whole life.
    Apparently you have been to the Iowa State Fair on East-Sider Night!!



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 26,014, Level: 49
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    redrocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames - West-CY'd
    Posts
    2,248
    Points
    26,014
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 31

    Re: Summer Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    Apparently you have been to the Iowa State Fair on East-Sider Night!!
    It is kind of like a petting zoo on east sider night.



    32 years later and I am still riding on the back.

    I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPNews
  • Iowa State @ TCU
  • March 7, 2015
  • 07:30 PM