Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 9

Sportsmanship

I have been watching a lot of pro sports while being deployed and have noticed that nobody really shakes the opponents hands after the game anymore. After watching the Olympics, the losing team would wait patiently while the winning team congratulated each other so that they could form a line and shake hands after the game. I am just wondering why don't professional teams do that?

It would show a lot to younger players if the pros did what the high schools and colleges try to teach through sportsmanship. Many kids watch these players and mimic their every move, including what they do after the game. It is just my opinion that even as pros, they can still do this.

The only reason I bring this up is that I watched both the Red Wings / Blackhawks game and the Magic / Lakers game and it seemed that as soon as the game was over, both teams automatically walked straight to their locker rooms and only a very select few actually spoke to the opposing team and I bet the only reason they did that is because they are actually friends off of the ice/court.

What do others think?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 294
    Given: 38

Re: Sportsmanship

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I have been watching a lot of pro sports while being deployed and have noticed that nobody really shakes the opponents hands after the game anymore. After watching the Olympics, the losing team would wait patiently while the winning team congratulated each other so that they could form a line and shake hands after the game. I am just wondering why don't professional teams do that?

It would show a lot to younger players if the pros did what the high schools and colleges try to teach through sportsmanship. Many kids watch these players and mimic their every move, including what they do after the game. It is just my opinion that even as pros, they can still do this.

The only reason I bring this up is that I watched both the Red Wings / Blackhawks game and the Magic / Lakers game and it seemed that as soon as the game was over, both teams automatically walked straight to their locker rooms and only a very select few actually spoke to the opposing team and I bet the only reason they did that is because they are actually friends off of the ice/court.

What do others think?
    I'm neutral. Shaking hands is really a watered down overused procedure that means nothing anyway. I shook a lot of hands that I still didn't like or maybe even respect. I think it should be done if meant but I also think there is no reason to go through the deal if it means nothing.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.