Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 744,979, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,395
    Points
    744,979
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 60

    Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    IRVING, Texas—Marquis Gilstrap was named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time this season, announced today by the Big 12 Conference office.

    Gilstrap, a senior from Covington, Ga., averaged 14.0 points and 13.0 rebounds in two games last week, recording double-doubles in both games to increase his season total to 11. Gilstrap tallied 15 points and 13 boards in an overtime loss to Missouri and then posted 13 points and 13 rebounds in ISU’s 85-82 overtime win at No. 5 Kansas State.

    In conference games only, Gilstrap led the Big 12 in rebounding (10.3 rpg) and was the only player in the league to average a double-double (15.3 ppg/10.3 rpg).



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 98,890, Level: 97
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,407
    Points
    98,890
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    He won B12 rookie of the week 50% of the time this season and somehow didn't make the all-rookie team. Things that make you go, hmmmm?




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  3. #3
    Recruit
    Points: 11,063, Level: 31
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Rio4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    116
    Points
    11,063
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Gilstrap not making all rookie team is just a joke...but we are used to it...see A-rob in football.


    Let's Go State!!!

    Follow me on twitter @cyhawkthoughts and at www.cyhawkthoughts.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cyhawkthoughts. Email me at cyhawkthoughts@yahoo.com.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 15,845, Level: 38
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    373
    Points
    15,845
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 57

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    He won B12 rookie of the week 50% of the time this season and somehow didn't make the all-rookie team. Things that make you go, hmmmm?
    6/17 =/= .50

    But still, how do you get it one third of the time and not make the team? Especially when Xavier Henry and Ekpe Udoh only got it 3 times each.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 98,890, Level: 97
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,407
    Points
    98,890
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by dcxme1183 View Post
    6/17 =/= .50

    But still, how do you get it one third of the time and not make the team? Especially when Xavier Henry and Ekpe Udoh only got it 3 times each.
    My apologies. I haven't checked, but for some reason I was under the impression it was given out 12 times this year.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 15,845, Level: 38
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    373
    Points
    15,845
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 57

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    My apologies. I haven't checked, but for some reason I was under the impression it was given out 12 times this year.
    http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArtic...CLID=204903292

    17 weeks, 19 winners since Marquis shared it twice. But clearly, Gilstrap was the most decorated among them. Not sure what that says about how much respect we garner...

    The weekly honors are voted by media, the season honors by coaches...


    Last edited by dcxme1183; 03-07-2010 at 04:01 PM.

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 98,890, Level: 97
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,407
    Points
    98,890
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by dcxme1183 View Post
    http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArtic...CLID=204903292

    17 weeks, 19 winners since Marquis shared it twice. But clearly, Gilstrap was the most decorated among them. Not sure what that says about how much respect we garner...

    The weekly honors are voted by media, the season honors by coaches...
    Thanks for correcting me. And as you noted...the point still stands.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  8. #8
    Recruit
    Points: 7,086, Level: 25
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    78
    Points
    7,086
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    I know I'll get hammered for saying this but the media gave him those awards based on his stat line. A coach watching him from the sidelines would spot the flaws. Makes a lot of sloppy passes/shots, rarely passes the ball on a fast break, and doesn't finish games strong.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 112,083, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,677
    Points
    112,083
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by Celeron View Post
    I know I'll get hammered for saying this but the media gave him those awards based on his stat line. A coach watching him from the sidelines would spot the flaws. Makes a lot of sloppy passes/shots, rarely passes the ball on a fast break, and doesn't finish games strong.
    I won't hammer you - I'll agree with you. Gmac's hands-off treament of Gilstrap when he takes bad shots, or is lazy on defense, or doesn't pass to the open man is the chief indicator for me that he doesn't want players mad at him...



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 26,958, Level: 50
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cloned4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,541
    Points
    26,958
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I won't hammer you - I'll agree with you. Gmac's hands-off treament of Gilstrap when he takes bad shots, or is lazy on defense, or doesn't pass to the open man is the chief indicator for me that he doesn't want players mad at him...
    Dude watch the freakin games again. DVR, video tape, I don't care. I've been extremely critical of Mac this year but some people are way over the top on Quez.

    He was everything I had hoped for and more. He did a very, very good job getting teammates involved the last couple of weeks (at the SF by the way, he's not a f'in PG) and made great adjustments throughout the conference season in avoiding charges and being smarter with the basketball on the drive.

    We needed him as a SCORER. He scored. We needed him as a rebounder. He REBOUNDED. Like a beast. Better than anyone in the conference at the SMALL FORWARD. Rebounding is mostly effort. Position/effort/natural ability. Quez showed it all. (maybe effort and ability more than position, but the guy was on a misson out there on the boards)

    He played a lot of minutes this year in his first year on the big stage. Did he play sloppy/selfish/bad at times? Sure. Everyone does. But for the most part he played tough as nails and definitely did not disappear towards the end of games. Hell, against A&M he scored 11pts with under 6 minutes to just keep us in the game. He was a stud all game against CU.

    His hustle play yesterday where he tipped the ball away, battled several K-State defenders to keep the ball alive, finally getting it ahead to DG...that was a great, great play. His And-1 in the first half was beastly too.

    He didn't get All-Rookie team because the other coaches are idiots, and because our record sucked. A screw job.

    I hope somehow he's able to return next year, works on his handle and bball IQ, and takes the conference by storm next year. Any double-double guy in this conference is the real deal. Marquis Gilstrap - you are the real deal.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 352,794, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,488
    Points
    352,794
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Maquis could really benefit as far as court time from another year IMO. I don't see any way he goes first round and he may boarder on being drafted or not. Of course, the first step is actually getting the chance at another year then he can make a decision. If he gets it I still say it is 50/50.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 71,871, Level: 83
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,279
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,953
    Points
    71,871
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I won't hammer you - I'll agree with you. Gmac's hands-off treament of Gilstrap when he takes bad shots, or is lazy on defense, or doesn't pass to the open man is the chief indicator for me that he doesn't want players mad at him...
    i'm normally not in favor of players punching refs, but in this case, 'quez has my permission to deck you.

    sheesh man, the kid averaged a double-double in his first (and only) b12 season, he played hurt, he thanked the fans for how great they treated him, and you rip on the kid.

    maybe Gmac would've subbed for him, but his backup tore his ACL. and dendy isn't exactly much better on D.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 92,265, Level: 94
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,465
    Points
    92,265
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 199

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by dcxme1183 View Post
    But still, how do you get it one third of the time and not make the team? Especially when Xavier Henry and Ekpe Udoh only got it 3 times each.
    My guess: Henry & Udoh's teams are in the top 3 in the league.

    Winning almost always buoys individual players' resumes. Imagine if Fizer declared for the draft after the 98-99 season with the exact stats he had the following year (but the team's record was the same in 98-99). He would have been nowhere near a top-5 draft pick.

    Has someone checked which games ISU won during those weeks when Gil got the Rookie of the Week? I can't recall but I think the KSU game is the first substantial team ISU beat in any of those situations. If his weekly award involved wins over tournament-bound teams another couple of times, he'd be a lock for the team.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 19,253, Level: 42
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    CyFever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    931
    Points
    19,253
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Gilstrap not making at least all-rookie is a complete joke. He was the pre-season newcomer of the year. He averaged 15.3 ppg and 10.3 rpg (leading the conference) in conference play. Do those numbers indicate that he failed to live up to expectations in any way whatsoever?



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 274,569, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,341
    Points
    274,569
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 7

    Re: Gilstrap Named Big 12 Rookie of the Week for the sixth time

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    Dude watch the freakin games again. DVR, video tape, I don't care. I've been extremely critical of Mac this year but some people are way over the top on Quez.

    He was everything I had hoped for and more. He did a very, very good job getting teammates involved the last couple of weeks (at the SF by the way, he's not a f'in PG) and made great adjustments throughout the conference season in avoiding charges and being smarter with the basketball on the drive.

    We needed him as a SCORER. He scored. We needed him as a rebounder. He REBOUNDED. Like a beast. Better than anyone in the conference at the SMALL FORWARD. Rebounding is mostly effort. Position/effort/natural ability. Quez showed it all. (maybe effort and ability more than position, but the guy was on a misson out there on the boards)

    He played a lot of minutes this year in his first year on the big stage. Did he play sloppy/selfish/bad at times? Sure. Everyone does. But for the most part he played tough as nails and definitely did not disappear towards the end of games. Hell, against A&M he scored 11pts with under 6 minutes to just keep us in the game. He was a stud all game against CU.

    His hustle play yesterday where he tipped the ball away, battled several K-State defenders to keep the ball alive, finally getting it ahead to DG...that was a great, great play. His And-1 in the first half was beastly too.

    He didn't get All-Rookie team because the other coaches are idiots, and because our record sucked. A screw job.

    I hope somehow he's able to return next year, works on his handle and bball IQ, and takes the conference by storm next year. Any double-double guy in this conference is the real deal. Marquis Gilstrap - you are the real deal.
    There is no room for you and your common sense on this board.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM