Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 6

Where do you get your oil changed?

Ideally I'd change it myself, however it's not always convenient living in a townhome to try to do that.

Is there anywhere in WDM I can take the oil/filter and pay some fee to have them take care of it for me? I can get Mobil 1 Synthetic and a quality filter for quite a bit less than the lube shops charge and know what's going into my vehicles.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

Re: Where do you get your oil changed?

I can't think of any shops that will let you bring your own oil and filter. I mean, they might use your stuff, but they'd charge you full price for the change. You'll definitely need to call around to the smaller shops, because the big chain shops and oil change specialty places certainly won't do it.

Cyclone42

I know Wal-Mart doesn't have a very good rep around here, but they might do it. Especially if you buy the oil and filter there (and they sell most top-quality brands). And you can't beat their prices.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I can't think of any shops that will let you bring your own oil and filter. I mean, they might use your stuff, but they'd charge you full price for the change. You'll definitely need to call around to the smaller shops, because the big chain shops and oil change specialty places certainly won't do it.
    I need to establish a good mechanic anyways, might be a good way to do it, hah.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    I know Wal-Mart doesn't have a very good rep around here, but they might do it. Especially if you buy the oil and filter there (and they sell most top-quality brands). And you can't beat their prices.
    I admit to buying the oil at Wal-Mart, they do have great quality oil and prices for sure.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

The biggest issues I have with oil change places are some of the ripoff pricing and the generally incompetent people that work there.

I went to one once, and caught them putting on my drain plug with an impact wrench.

I looked through oil change dudes tool box, and they didn't have any correct/really decent tools.

Now, since I cannot change my own oil, I pay about the same price at a local private mechanic as the quick change ripoff joint.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

The thing I don't like about the oil change specialty places is that you can't buy just an oil change. They have packages that include vacuuming out the car and checking other fluids and such, using these other "services" to jack up the price. Just give me a barebones oil change. Don't do anything else. Nope, can't do that.

And this is why I do all my own work on my cars.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,144
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 84

Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    Ideally I'd change it myself, however it's not always convenient living in a townhome to try to do that.

Is there anywhere in WDM I can take the oil/filter and pay some fee to have them take care of it for me? I can get Mobil 1 Synthetic and a quality filter for quite a bit less than the lube shops charge and know what's going into my vehicles.
    I take mine to the corresponding dealership (Smart for my Honda and Bob Brown for my GMC.) Even if the car is out of warranty. Most run around $30. You get a real mechanic. They know the car, and if there is a service bulletin on the vehicle they can usually take car of it at a regular oil change.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 23

Forget Jiffy Lube!! Had buddy take his car there, they replaced his serpentine belt and installed it wrong and caused the engine to overheat as the waterpump was running backwards.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I take mine to the corresponding dealership (Smart for my Honda and Bob Brown for my GMC.)

I used to do this too but the local Chevy place overfilled my oil by 1.5 quarts two time in a row, which they were willing to correct immediately. After that I've never gone back and will continue to change it myself. I can't justify paying someone $40 to **** up and have to bring my car back when I can get all the supplies for around $20 and do it correctly myself.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

A family member who sold me a car, used to religiously get his car serviced at the stealership where he bought it.

When I got it it had 100,000 miles on it, and the first air filter change I did, it was a bear to get to and remove it. When I finally got to the air filter, the factory tell-tales were still intact.

Basically, they were just charging him for the service and not doing it. I admit that it's hard to get to the air filter on that model, but geesh!

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

Where do I get my oil changed? In my driveway that is where.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 78

The garage where I get my oil changed has an ugly mechanic and he has a foul disposition. But it is right next to the house and he doesn't mark-up the products and I trust him with my car. The thing that worries me - he might be sleeping with my wife!!

All truisms are false. All of them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 44

I go to Jiffy Lube if I need an oil change when I'm traveling for work. If I can do it myself, I do, but I generally haven't had trouble with Jiffy Lube. I'll just say only let them change the oil, don't let them try and sell you on their other services, because they don't really know how to do them well. I once agreed to a radiator flush and coolant replacement. There are a series of things to do on my car (and probably other cars too) to get the pressure in the coolant system relieved, and they didn't do it. So basically I had all these air pockets in my coolant system that would slowly work their way out, resulting in me getting a low coolant light going off, me having to pull over and put more coolant in, rinse and repeat. It was pretty annoying, and very preventable.

st8

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    The biggest issues I have with oil change places are some of the ripoff pricing and the generally incompetent people that work there.

I went to one once, and caught them putting on my drain plug with an impact wrench.

I looked through oil change dudes tool box, and they didn't have any correct/really decent tools.

Now, since I cannot change my own oil, I pay about the same price at a local private mechanic as the quick change ripoff joint.
    first off, for someone who appears to consider themselves more intelligent then anyone else on this board (or the world for that matter), why can't you change your own oil??? then you could use only "correct/decent" tools on your vehicle and put your drain plug back on without using an impact wrench. or maybe that would interfere with your need to continually validate yourself on a message board? secondly, does your car know the quality of tools that are being used on it? last I checked it didnt take that many tools to change some oil ? It sounds to me like you went to a poorly run jiffy lube/car-x and now asume that all chain quick lube joints are filled with careless morons that return your car to you worse off then when you brought it in. do you also think that all middle easterners are terrorists, or that every hispanic in america is here illegally?