Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 822

Morrill Hall

Attending ISU from '97-'03, I got to listen to the continuous debates of what to do with Morrill Hall. It had become dilapidated to the point of condemnation and hadn't been used in years. The big debate was what to do with it - tear it down, let it sit, or renovate it. Tearing it down was big w/ ISU administaration b/c of the state it was in. However, many people objected to this due to the history of Morrill Hall, and since ISU is a land grant university, a rule at one time (it may still exist) said each land grant campus had to have a Morrill Hall on it and it should be refurbished.

Long story short, I got an e-mail today saying that Morrill Hall's renovation has been completed and tenants are once again moving in. I think this is great news. Morrill Hall is an historic building on campus and it's nice to see that it's been renovated and is being used again.

MORRILL VICTORY
    The doors are opening once again to Morrill Hall, the campus landmark that was restored and renovated thanks to $10 million in gifts through a private fundraising campaign launched 4 years ago. The building was officially opened March 19, with classrooms beginning to be used this week. The building has three tenants - the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, the Christian Petersen Art Museum, and the Center for Visual Learning in Textiles and Clothing. The first two tenants have moved in; the third will begin to relocate this summer. However, the center will have an exhibit open in the Morrill gallery in time for VEISHEA. The official Morrill Hall rededication ceremony is slated for Friday, April 20 at 11 a.m. "The building looks really good," said Kerry Dixon-Fox, Morrill Hall facilities project manager, adding that her favorite area is the former chapel on the second floor, which has been converted into a 70-seat, two-tiered classroom. The balcony has been removed from the space, but the wood trim has been restored and several decorative ceiling grills have been put back in place.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Morrill Hall

I thought Morrill Hall was named after someone from ISU? Which would make a little more sense because Morrill Hall was not the first building of Iowa State.... Land-Grant colleges started as colleges that taught agriculture and home economics... They got that term because they farmed the land of the college through a federal grant. That's why the Farm-House is the oldest building on campus, the rest of it was crop land....

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 822

Yeah, Morrill Hall wasn't the first but it had to have been in the works b/c each land grant had to have a Morrill Hall.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Hmm, for a year I knew it as "that building that's always under construction".

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Yeah, Morrill Hall wasn't the first but it had to have been in the works b/c each land grant had to have a Morrill Hall.
    Are you sure that's what it had to be named? Or did each land-grant have to have a building designated for something such as Morrill Hall was? Where's CyAggie, he'd be able to tell us if A&M has a "Morrill Hall" or not.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 7

Every land grant universities has to have a building named Morrill for the man who created the land grant bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrill...t_Colleges_Act

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I went in there the other day, just to see what it looked like after like three solid years of renovation. It's absolutely gorgeous inside. They redesigned half the building, and did a fantastic job of it.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 861

Working at facilities, it's been awesome getting to be in that building during the whole remodeling. It's very nice now and you can't even tell you're in a really old building anymore.

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm really glad they redid it. It was always closed when I was there but you could tell it could be a great looking building.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    Every land grant universities has to have a building named Morrill for the man who created the land grant bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrill...t_Colleges_Act
    Thanks for the clarification CyforPrez. I didn't know if was just ISU since we were the first Land Grant College, or if it was a necessity of all L-G colleges.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Whoo Hooo! When I was at ISU, we were fighting to save both Old Botany AND Morrill Hall. We were also fighting to save the old Naval Science Building, but we lost that one. It's good to see that BOTH Old Bot and Morrill have been restored. Sometime the 'tards who run ISU can be convinced to "do the right thing!"

I'm guessing that development committee meetings sound somewhat like this: ISU Admin '**** - "Errrr, let's bulldoze the entire main campus and poot all dah classes in Morton bildins"

ISU Admin '**** #2 - "Great idee! Let's start tomorrer!"

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

I just took a tour of the art exhibit they have in there now. Is that all they're going to use it for, or will there be actual classes in there?

Still, it looks pretty nice. I'm glad they renovated it. I hear a bunch of the construction time was just trying to replace its structure so that it could stay standing.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,486
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 72

Everyone wanted to save it because everyone knows it, its always been there. Most people might not have a reason to go in it, but architecturally its so unique and has so much character sitting their on campus.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35

Some of us wanted to save our old haunt, Baker House at Storms Hall. It wasn't historic architecture, it wasn't pretty, but it was home. It's now scattered as gravel on some road somewhere.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I'm a former Baker House alum. Provided that Storms was designed as temporary housing to begin with, it didn't do to bad. Odd coincidence, out of the 7 places I lived at Iowa State, each and every one of them has been torn down. I think I tend to put a curse on places I live!