View Poll Results: What needs to happen to save GMac's job?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing. His job should be safe.

49 23.56%
  • Beat KSU (Top 25 team on the road)

4 1.92%
  • Win game in Big XII Tournament (likely Texas)

11 5.29%
  • Make Big XII Tournament Semifinals

21 10.10%
  • Be invited to the NIT

12 5.77%
  • Deep NIT run

9 4.33%
  • Win Big XII Tournament (lose 1st round NCAA's)

33 15.87%
  • Win a game in the NCAA Tournament

8 3.85%
  • Make Sweet 16

4 1.92%
  • Make Final Four

2 0.96%
  • Win the whole ******* thing

9 4.33%
  • Nothing. He should be fired regardless.

44 21.15%
  • Other (please specify)

2 0.96%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What would it take?

"Well then, I guess there's only one thing left to do [...] Win the whole ******* thing."
    -Jake Taylor, Major League, 1989

With all the talk, rumors, and speculation about GMac's (pending?) firing, I was wondering about something today during my run. If he and the team truly "know it's over" at the end of the season, there is a possibility (albeit improbable) that the team gets a "Win one for the Gipper" attitude and goes on a hot streak (much like what happened with DMac against Mizzou in 2006). As a result, there could be an (even bigger) argument among the fans...was it a fluke or did the team really turn a corner?

So, my question to you, CycloneFanatics, is a hypothetical one:

Put aside speculation, and let's assume that at this moment, Greg McDermott will indeed be terminated at the end of the season. With two (guaranteed) games to go, what, in your opinion, would the MBB team have to do from this point forward to save GMac's job?

Poll will be posted momentarily. Each option builds on the last, and yes, I realize most (all?) of these are unrealistic.

Last edited by superfan; 03-03-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,059
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 3

Re: What would it take?

Realistically I think Mac is around next season. If I had my druthers his job would be safe(for now) as long as we make a postseason tournament.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 50

pulling a rabbit out of a hat and making NCAA tourney by winning big 12 tourney would buy him at least a couple years if I'm AD.

Not real worried that it will happen though.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

He needs to give us something to believe in for next year. It will take more than 1 Big 12 tourney win to convince me. IMO he needs to win 3 more games this year to generate some momentum for next years ticket sales. I do not see this team winning another game though. Hope I am wrong.

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

He's probably doomed, regardless of what happens. I think we all know in our hearts that our season will end next Wednesday. Unless we take the 6 seed to OT, then maybe early Thursday morning.

I would really love to see us get a win down in KC but considering we might have Texas waiting for us doesn't make me too optimistic. Anyone but them and I think we could get a win. Lord knows we're due.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,616
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 446

You're right about the improbability, but I love this poll, because I've been thinking about this very thing for the last month or so.

I think Pollard has made up his mind one way or the other. I voted Sweet 16, and even that is a fleeting notion

The unlikely scenario that gets ISU an automatic bid would result in a 12 or 13 seed. So an S-16 means they probably beat at least 3, maybe 4 Big 12 tournament teams, then knocked off a 4/5, at worst, in Round 1.

If Pollard figured the financial difficulty prevented him from canning the coach, this would be a dream scenario he could say, "It took a while, but it's going to pay off, and this is a reason to get excited for the future" (never mind that, if this bizarro-world thing took place, Brackins & Gilstrap would for sure be gone).

An unlikely run like that would be fun for me, as a longtime ISU fan. The realistic side of me says, "Will I have to wade through another 4 years of mediocrity for a something like this, and then only because of a miracle finish?"

It's a fun thought experiment, but considering ISU has won exactly 2 Big 12 tournament games in the last decade, under 3 coaches (including a loss as a 1 seed) ... I honestly couldn't change my mind at this point for any reason.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 22

I felt at the beginning of the year we needed to at least make the NIT, or land Harrison Barnes. Our record is too bad to make the NIT, and I wouldn't expect that we'll win one game in the Big12 tourney, let alone win it all.

I thought he was a good hire at the time, but 4 years in, you can't have that much "bad luck". He brought in some pretty talented players but I think the problem is he's not good at the actual coaching part.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

IMO, we need to stay the course and keep working towards getting better.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    IMO, we need to stay the course and keep working towards getting better.

See this is where I am confused. What exactly IS the course?

I mean we have seen so many reaches in recruiting, and we have seen those players leave, either by choice or Greg running them off. Then there are others that can play, and just leave. There is no foundation here, no stability.

Now, the program is in so unstable, after four years, that we are now going juco crazy, that seems pretty damn desperate to me. So where does it get better?

I am asking questions. I am fairly certain that Greg will be back on the sidelines next year as the head coach at Iowa State. You can see that fewer and fewer people are even taking the time to complain about not being able to get a shot off in the last 17 seconds of the game Wednesday. It will be worse next year.

The good will, patience is gone. He has to win. Do you guarantee that we will win next year?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Toasted40 View Post

I mean we have seen so many reaches in recruiting, and we have seen those players leave, either by choice or Greg running them off. Then there are others that can play, and just leave. There is no foundation here, no stability.

Now, the program is in so unstable, after four years, that we are now going juco crazy, that seems pretty damn desperate to me. So where does it get better?

I am asking questions. I am fairly certain that Greg will be back on the sidelines next year as the head coach at Iowa State. You can see that fewer and fewer people are even taking the time to complain about not being able to get a shot off in the last 17 seconds of the game Wednesday. It will be worse next year.

The good will, patience is gone. He has to win. Do you guarantee that we will win next year?
    I won't and can't guarantee anything...Unstable???....huh, no.

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Would it be a stretch to say that we will be a better team - w/o CB? Or is he a sacred cow that can't be talked about.

"Unless a man is born again, he will not see the Kingdom of Heaven" John 3:3

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Then why all of the jucos the last two years? Where is the "program building" in bringing in over half your class in juco's the other half are projects or red-shirt candidates.

People on here have tried to blame the assistants who recruit as the problem (not me), but if this is what the "plan" is, then maybe they are right.

I said something about how Mac's recruiting at UNI made sense. David Gruber became Eric Coleman who would have become Jordan Egelseder. Matt Schniderman became Grant Stout who became Adam Koch.

Why haven't we seen that here? What is the plan? Point to one thing in this program that you can see as a positive going forward.

I would appreciate real answers, I think many others feel the same way. Greg hasn't given voice to that yet. "Trust me" is not a strategy.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Then why all of the jucos the last two years? Where is the "program building" in bringing in over half your class in juco's the other half are projects or red-shirt candidates.

People on here have tried to blame the assistants who recruit as the problem (not me), but if this is what the "plan" is, then maybe they are right.

I said something about how Mac's recruiting at UNI made sense. David Gruber became Eric Coleman who would have become Jordan Egelseder. Matt Schniderman became Grant Stout who became Adam Koch.

Why haven't we seen that here? What is the plan? Point to one thing in this program that you can see as a positive going forward.

I would appreciate real answers, I think many others feel the same way. Greg hasn't given voice to that yet. "Trust me" is not a strategy.
    Vanderbeken
    Phillips - Too good not to take
    Gilstrap - Clearly had a hole to fill and was worth the chance.
    Dendy

Recruits
    Wilkins (3 years)
    Clyburn

Your big argument is 4 guys in two years(to date)? Taking the best talent available...nothing more to it.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by larrysarmy View Post
    Would it be a stretch to say that we will be a better team - w/o CB? Or is he a sacred cow that can't be talked about.
    Four years of losing basketball means noone is sacred.

I will start with the obvious question. Where do the points come from? This team has a hard time scoring as it is.

And this was the case against every good team we played when we had a full compliment of players.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This program is absolutely unstable. If it were stable, we wouldn't have to worry about players who aren't going to the NBA coming back for next season.