Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My opinion of this year's BB team

I thought the team played very well last night against a very good Missouri team that will be in the NCAA tourney. That was one of our better efforts of the year, especially defensively and rebounding wise. This team has greatly improved from the beginning of the year.

Missouri has something that we don't, a player/players that take ours off the dribble and score at crunch time. We have gotten to this point with teams before, but we can't get the ball to our players in the right position or take their players off the dribble. We often throw up a 3, take a bad shot, or turnover.

Our production at the 2 guard really hurt us this game and last. Garrett really needs another combo guard like himself to help him run the offensive and break the press. Garrett is a good player, he just hasn't had consistent help and is asked to do too many things. He sort of remines me of Michael Nurse as a junior when Nurse was the point guard. Nurse really had a very good senior year when Tinsely came and took over the point guard slot. The color commentator from last night mentioned a couple of games ago that Garrett does not look totally comfortable at the point, and I agree.

It looks like Dendy is starting to see the light and I think he is starting to listen to McDermott's coaching. I've liked his effort the last 2 games and he is more "there" mentally. He even seems to be concentrating more at the FT line.

I agree with McDermott that Gilstrap's pace is better. He was going through a mid season slump and has worked himself out of it. I think you can attribute that to Gilstrap's sticking with it and McD's coaching.

The majority of people think this team has under achieved this year. I disagree. I think the sum of parts have equalled the whole. If you look at the team just at a talent perspective, yes, the sum is less than the parts. But the individual parts must be able to be added together.

1) Dendy. Juco transfer. Raw physical talent. Has had some growing pains growing into the team concept. It looks like he is starting to see the light.

2) Hamilton. Has improved more than any player on the team. Still needs to get a little more of an edge to him. Smart player who will continue to improve. Was still a very raw player at the being of the year.

3) Brackins. Has been in a slump for most of the year. Some of it is mental. I think part of it was he thought he could put up another 19 and 9 season, regardless of what the team did around him. I think teams have scouted him from last year and figure out what it takes to slow him down. Is really working harder the last couple of game. Has been hurt by ISU's lack of consistent play at guard and consistent double teams.

4) Garrett. Solid but not spectacular. Has improved and provides solid leadership on a team that needs more. Needs more back court help.

5) Lucca. Left the team half way through the season after a good win versus Neb. Really kicked the team in nuts. Set the team back at a crucial time. Could be very effective shooter when hot.

6) McDermott. Continues to coach during a season that has to be very frustrating to him. Brought in some physically talented players who have various flaws. The result is a team that has been more competitive, but appears as one that under achieves.

7) Gilstrap. Has had a very good seaon. Has improved during the Big 12 season. Starting to figure it out more. Still a very raw talent who asbense from the game has slowed him this year.

8) Colvin. Has some physical talents, but mentally wasn't mature enough. Went through some growing pains this season.

9) Christopherson. Much more complete player than Lucca. Slowed down by Mono.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Re: My opinion of this year's BB team

All very true. We are a guard away from being decent.

And the bottom line?

14-18 going nowhere.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Recruit
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nice breakdown and I agree with most of it. Tough year for Men's BB as the Big 12 is very good this year and it didn't seem like the team started to jell until around Lucca's departure. Unfortunately, that was far to late in the season to recover.

"Wanting it doesn't make it so. If it did, we'd all learn to want harder. I can already want quite vigorously, thank you very much." - Walter Slovotsky

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Even having said all of that.....will a good guard want to stay and play for McD. That is the question. Nobody seems to want to play for him.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

A good, pretty optimistic breakdown.

The thing about a list like this is that it leaves room for the possibility of improvement, as we perceive the players. The more negative corners of my mind want me to believe that what we saw is what we'll get for now and forever with these guys, but I'm not sure what to think.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 1,231

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Even having said all of that.....will a good guard want to stay and play for McD. That is the question. Nobody seems to want to play for him.
    There were 8 players on the court last night playing hard for him.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,553
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post

Exactly, I don't think effort is an issue. They can't close and just don't know how to win as a group.

DG was the X factor this year. Until we find a quality point, ISU will have a tough time competing in the Big 12.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 12

We need new guard that can dribble and score....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 1,231

Quote Originally Posted by DRCHIRO View Post
    Exactly, I don't think effort is an issue. They can't close and just don't know how to win as a group.

DG was the X factor this year. Until we find a quality point, ISU will have a tough time competing in the Big 12.
    I know everyone has their own opinions as to why this team failed so miserably, but to me it keeps coming back to intangibles (chemistry/identity/leadership/playing smart/knowing how to win). Sometimes those things are just missing from a team and its tough to do anything about it as a coaching staff (see UNC). I really think this team has the individual talent that we thought they did at the beginning of the year, and is a HUGE upgrade in talent from the previous 2 years.

But I also keep coming back to the things Coach Rhoads talked about all fall, that the #1 job of his staff was teaching the team how to win, and it's perfectly clear the basketball team is severely lacking in that category.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well of course the games are scheduled, so he will find bodies to take the place of those that left. It is disturbing the amount of turnover that has taken place. Here's to hoping this offseason bears no more surprises.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well of course the games are scheduled, so he will find bodies to take the place of those that left. It is disturbing the amount of turnover that has taken place. Here's to hoping this offseason bears no more surprises.

Misery averages getting 20 turnovers. We were right on target with 20 turnovers.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Misery averages getting 20 turnovers. We were right on target with 20 turnovers.
    . No idea what that has to do with the conversation.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

. No idea what that has to do with the conversation.
    Despite what it looked like, the number of our 20 turnovers was typical for a Missouri game who leads in turnover margin. On the other hand, Missouri had 18 turnovers of their own and missed several open shots. That was why we kept it close. That was a response to the poster.

Other than that, my opinion about the bball team on offense is we take poor shots, we force many bad shots, we cannot pass fast enough, we do not set up great screens, and we usually get down to the last five seconds before we shoot. For the positive, we are doing better with free throws, we do not step out of bounds now, and we can run nicely.

For defense, we are getting better but the year is over. The rebounding looks much better and we do block some shots.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Missouri was terrible last night. If this team had ever learned how to win they would have won by 15.

It might have been the best effort of the year so far. That has been a real problem with this team.

But in the end, my nephew's 7th grade basketball team knows enough to get in front of the guy with the ball.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 675
    Given: 7

It is possible for players to be playing hard for themselves, not for their coach. I look at his inability to keep players as a pretty strong mandate against his coaching style (insert comments about how it's all a result of bad luck...blah, blah, blah).