Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Blame it on the Wayne, Leadership, "Team", Insanity, Time for Change

Blame it on the Wayne

I fell into this early on, our problems in the first couple years were actually Wayne's fault. And that partially was true, for a while. But that's long since over and after 4 years and there has not been a single improvement (but instead regression), I think using Wayne as a whipping boy should end. Yes, Greg's contract had extensions built into it based on issues that were there before him. So, he has a financial safety blanket so to speak. And do note, that is how he has this long of a contract, so before people continue to ask "why did we extend Greg", look at the facts and then get back to us.

Regardless of all that, the current staff has made their own bed and put themselves in this situation.

Leadership

Attitude reflects leadership. But I don't believe this team has a bad attitude, they just don't have a good one. They lack an attitude and desire that is win at all costs. Do everything possible to win on every play. This team does not have that and I don't think any rational person can dispute it. I didn't say they don't try. But I did say say and fully believe they could emphatically try harder and more often. This is reflected in leadership both in the coach and our top player.

Greg has been perceived to be a bit soft on guys at times, notably the Colvin and Dendy situations. Firm suspensions gone by the wayside rather quickly. Now I understand why Colvin was put on the floor and admire Greg for listening to his team. But I cautioned then the downside is, the team would run him/the program. I shouldn't really used the word team, but I'll get to that.

Craig, I've been hard on him this season and until he gives me reason to, I'm not going to stop. Against Texas, great leader. Was in guys faces when they missed a play. Was there to pick 'em up when they hit the floor. And was there to congratulate when they did well (almost took Dendy's head off by congratulating him once). But those leadership qualities have been very few and very far between. Last night is another good example. Started the game by chucking up the outside shot, but finally got inside and played well. In the 2nd half, nonexistent and loitered around the perimeter. Then would be upset when he didn't get the ball or worry more about the missed calls by the refs than getting down the floor. And I've already said my piece on what was a completely despicable display of "defense" from him on the final play in OT. Perhaps when Craig became the single face of the program when Wesley bolted, he couldn't hack it. Pressure didn't mount in his first year without Wes but expectations were so high for him and the team this year - it got to him. I don't know.

Get me some leaders, not "NBA players" that seem to be in regret mode for returning.

"Team"

Not gonna spend much time on it other than to say we have a squad of guys that can put forth nice individual efforts but do not consistently play as a team. Too many guys dribbling to help themselves and not dribbling to help their teammates.

I'm sick of hearing these guys try hard and want to win. Of course they do. But they don't try hard and seem to want to win together.

Insanity

Einstein defined insanity as, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Fits this team/program perfectly. Nothing has really changed in the last 4 years. Sure, the players on the floor have changed...but that's about it. We still lose games the same way today as we did last November before guys got hurt. We still lose games today in the same way we did back in '06/'07. I mean, we saw that get no shot off at the end of a game thing before - more than once. This crappy record has been skipping like mad...stuck on the same ugly verse.

So if we continue to just keep doing the same with this program - I'd put our sanity into question.

Time for Change

Greg is a real swell guy and from the area I grew up - so I kinda gravitate to him a bit more. Fully supported him coming to Ames. Don't question the decision. And I still think he's a good coach and knows how to win. He just doesn't know how to win here.

It's simply not working. We've consistently regressed. There really isn't an improvement mark to hang our hats on. As noted above, we've seen some individual improvements but no real team progression at all.

If we don't make a change, it would not be at all about Greg's ability to turn it around. It would be all about our financial predicament and that's very sad - and something we should be rather concerned about (more than ISU MBB) if a change isn't made.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: Blame it on the Wayne, Leadership, "Team", Insanity, Time for Change

I blame it on fans. They ***** and moan and don't donate enough to hire the big splash name they want.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    I blame it on fans. They ***** and moan and don't donate enough to hire the big splash name they want.
    Yep. Its the fans' fault.

Yep, those loyal ISU fans who show up and cheer the Cyclones through 4 years of terrible, boring, fundamentally poor basketball. Lets blame it on them.

Posts that blame the fans are so stupid its beyond comprehension.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Fans have been asked to do more financially and have answered that request, period. The number of Cyclone club members and dollars into the program is higher than ever before.

So this blaming the fan BS needs to stop.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 6

Anyone else read "Blame it on the Wayne" and get Milli Vanilli stuck in their head? What a ****** way to start the day...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Fans have been asked to do more financially and have answered that request, period. The number of Cyclone club members and dollars into the program is higher than ever before.

So this blaming the fan BS needs to stop.
    Might be higher than ever before, but not enough for the splashy hire a lot of people want. Mac's salary ranks about the same in the Big 12 as his team places.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

Might be higher than ever before, but not enough for the splashy hire a lot of people want. Mac's salary ranks about the same in the Big 12 as his team places.
    Larry got paid in Ames. If Greg was winning, he would be getting paid too.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 321

Yes, Greg's contract had extensions built into it based on issues that were there before him. So, he has a financial safety blanket so to speak. And do note, that is how he has this long of a contract, so before people continue to ask "why did we extend Greg", look at the facts and then get back to us.

My issue is with this. When a coach needs all of these stipulations put into his contract for automatic extensions etc.... you have to ask why? Why would a coach allegedly take a job that is paying him less then his market value in return for a longer contract? Why would the ISU administration negotiate a contract with a coach that needs a "security blanket" just to take the job here?

It seems to me that a coach that needs that much assurance that he is going to be kept around that he isn't even going to ask for the money that he deserved (at the time) tells me that Greg was absolutely expecting to have the results that we are currently getting 4 years into his reign of terror over ISU basketball. Anybody have the figures on the buyout in contracts with Floyd, Eustachy, Morgan, McCarney, Chizdick, or Rhoads? I wonder if any of them had as sweet of a buyout in their contracts as GMAC does?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 2

Something has to be in the works.

KG has been on the site this morning and is not in his GMac defender role.

In fact, not since 3/1/10

/prays/

Last edited by Palmer; 03-03-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    Carrying the banner for ISU.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 2

Blame it on the Wayne

I fell into this early on, our problems in the first couple years were actually Wayne's fault. And that partially was true, for a while. But that's long since over and after 4 years and there has not been a single improvement (but instead regression), I think using Wayne as a whipping boy should end. Yes, Greg's contract had extensions built into it based on issues that were there before him. So, he has a financial safety blanket so to speak. And do note, that is how he has this long of a contract, so before people continue to ask "why did we extend Greg", look at the facts and then get back to us.

Regardless of all that, the current staff has made their own bed and put themselves in this situation.

Leadership

Attitude reflects leadership. But I don't believe this team has a bad attitude, they just don't have a good one. They lack an attitude and desire that is win at all costs. Do everything possible to win on every play. This team does not have that and I don't think any rational person can dispute it. I didn't say they don't try. But I did say say and fully believe they could emphatically try harder and more often. This is reflected in leadership both in the coach and our top player.

Greg has been perceived to be a bit soft on guys at times, notably the Colvin and Dendy situations. Firm suspensions gone by the wayside rather quickly. Now I understand why Colvin was put on the floor and admire Greg for listening to his team. But I cautioned then the downside is, the team would run him/the program. I shouldn't really used the word team, but I'll get to that.

Craig, I've been hard on him this season and until he gives me reason to, I'm not going to stop. Against Texas, great leader. Was in guys faces when they missed a play. Was there to pick 'em up when they hit the floor. And was there to congratulate when they did well (almost took Dendy's head off by congratulating him once). But those leadership qualities have been very few and very far between. Last night is another good example. Started the game by chucking up the outside shot, but finally got inside and played well. In the 2nd half, nonexistent and loitered around the perimeter. Then would be upset when he didn't get the ball or worry more about the missed calls by the refs than getting down the floor. And I've already said my piece on what was a completely despicable display of "defense" from him on the final play in OT. Perhaps when Craig became the single face of the program when Wesley bolted, he couldn't hack it. Pressure didn't mount in his first year without Wes but expectations were so high for him and the team this year - it got to him. I don't know.

Get me some leaders, not "NBA players" that seem to be in regret mode for returning.

"Team"

Not gonna spend much time on it other than to say we have a squad of guys that can put forth nice individual efforts but do not consistently play as a team. Too many guys dribbling to help themselves and not dribbling to help their teammates.

I'm sick of hearing these guys try hard and want to win. Of course they do. But they don't try hard and seem to want to win together.

Insanity

Einstein defined insanity as, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Fits this team/program perfectly. Nothing has really changed in the last 4 years. Sure, the players on the floor have changed...but that's about it. We still lose games the same way today as we did last November before guys got hurt. We still lose games today in the same way we did back in '06/'07. I mean, we saw that get no shot off at the end of a game thing before - more than once. This crappy record has been skipping like mad...stuck on the same ugly verse.

So if we continue to just keep doing the same with this program - I'd put our sanity into question.

Time for Change

Greg is a real swell guy and from the area I grew up - so I kinda gravitate to him a bit more. Fully supported him coming to Ames. Don't question the decision. And I still think he's a good coach and knows how to win. He just doesn't know how to win here.

It's simply not working. We've consistently regressed. There really isn't an improvement mark to hang our hats on. As noted above, we've seen some individual improvements but no real team progression at all.

If we don't make a change, it would not be at all about Greg's ability to turn it around. It would be all about our financial predicament and that's very sad - and something we should be rather concerned about (more than ISU MBB) if a change isn't made.

spot on.

1+

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    My issue is with this. When a coach needs all of these stipulations put into his contract for automatic extensions etc.... you have to ask why? Why would a coach allegedly take a job that is paying him less then his market value in return for a longer contract? Why would the ISU administration negotiate a contract with a coach that needs a "security blanket" just to take the job here?

It seems to me that a coach that needs that much assurance that he is going to be kept around that he isn't even going to ask for the money that he deserved (at the time) tells me that Greg was absolutely expecting to have the results that we are currently getting 4 years into his reign of terror over ISU basketball. Anybody have the figures on the buyout in contracts with Floyd, Eustachy, Morgan, McCarney, Chizdick, or Rhoads? I wonder if any of them had as sweet of a buyout in their contracts as GMAC does?
    A contractual way of saying "you won't be faulted for the NCAA rule mistakes that came before you that may impact the ability to do your job", period.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Something has to be in the works.

KG has been on the site this morning and is not in his GMac defender role.
    There is way too much smoke for there to be no fire.

Based on Pollard's history, his silence, and the results of the past 4 years, it sure is looking like a change is coming. Good news for MBB fans.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 56

Yep. If everyone on this board that complained about the basketball program, etc. would just up their Cyclone Club donation from $10,000 per year to $50,000 per year, we could solve a lot of our athletic budget problems. (that was being sarcastic) But seriously, if the fanbase would increase their support, we might be able to raise our budget up enough so that we would be in the middle of the Big 12.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 321

We don't need a splashy hire. We need a winner desperately though. GMAC's replacement needs to be as close to a can't miss as there is out there. I think a guy like Gillespie would be a homerun hire assuming his past demons are behind him. The guy needs a place to go where he can rebuild his career and with the risk an institution would be taking on him I think you could get him (a proven winner) at a hell of a bargain price. I am betting that he would love to jump back into a major conference job in a conference that he is very familiar with. ISU could be a perfect opportunity for him.

Last edited by Cyclonestate78; 03-03-2010 at 09:21 AM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Larry got paid in Ames. If Greg was winning, he would be getting paid too.
    Larry did get paid well. A couple of donors made sure of that. When Larry got fired they specifically said they weren't helping with paying future coaches.