Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Thumbs up Shocking Donation #'s - Give to NCC!

I'm very proud of having graduated from Iowa State and I support the athletic department as best I can with the purchase of five season football tickets and a Cardinal Club donation to NCC. A NCC publication arrived yesterday and I was saddened by the fact that ISU is #9 in total number of donors and #12 in average gift / donor. I thought I'd quickly bring the two tables together to illustrate how far behind the competition we are:

School / # Athletic Donors / Average Gift per Donor / Total Donation Income

1) T A&M - 23,000 x $1087 = $25,001,000
    2) Texas - 11,823 x $1734 = $20,501,082
    3) OU - 9500 x $1737 = $16,501,500
    4) TT - 7000 x $1857 = $12,999,000
    5) KSU - 7200 x $1681 = $12,103,300
    6) Nebraska - 13,500 x $815 = $11,002,500
    7) KU - 4200 x $1905 = $8,001,000
    8) OSU - 6400 x $1078 = $6,899,200
    9) Mizzou - 4700 x $1426 = $6,702,200
    10) CU - 6000 x $1000 = $6,000,000
    11) ISU - 5398 x $686 = $3,703,028
    12) Baylor - 2800 x $893 = $2,500,400

If you want to see more success on the field of play, step up to the plate and write a check for whatever you can afford. We might not be able to get to an average of $1000 per donor, but we could get to 10,000 donors! Get out there and recruit some!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Re: Shocking Donation #'s - Give to NCC!

I've said for a long time you get what you pay for and really we've been overachieving for a long time when you take this into consideration. Wonder where Iowa would rank on the list?

Starter
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 51

Those are terrible numbers. Hopefully our new coaches will bring some excitement to the MBB and football programs over the next few years and things will improve dramatically.

I'm proud to say I started giving last year. I plan on increasing my donation next year to the next level.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

I am kinda suprised that Baylor's per donor amount is so low... I would have thought they would be pretty high up there in that category...

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 31

I just joined this year (at the cardinal level) , and I am still below average.

32 years later and I am still riding on the back.

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Are these numbers a tally from last year, or this years numbers? I am guessing when we see this years numbers there will be impovement. Also, a lot of people quit giving to the NCC because they were so fed up with BVD, Mac, and what they were seeing on the field...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

Quote Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
    I just joined this year (at the cardinal level) , and I am still below average.
    It's not about getting people to give more. People give what they can. It's about getting people who are giving nothing to get something. If we can hit 10000 donors at 686 a pop, that's still almost 7 million. That's what we need to shoot for.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    It's not about getting people to give more. People give what they can. It's about getting people who are giving nothing to get something. If we can hit 10000 donors at 686 a pop, that's still almost 7 million. That's what we need to shoot for.
    Very true. That's what A&M did. Their giving per person isnt' that much larger, but 23,000 of them!

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,364
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think you'll see an increased participation in the donor program over the next year or so due to Chizik's hiring, but also due to the fact that the graduating student body has gained expectations for this program, and many of them will donate to support that. In the past, I think many people didn't donate because football (or athletics in general) weren't really that important to them. Now, with Pollard trying to win us conference championships, I think you'll see a small, but steady increase in donations among young alumni.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Very true. That's what A&M did. Their giving per person isnt' that much larger, but 23,000 of them!
    Their student body is also three times the size of ours. Their amount of alums dwarfs ours.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    I think you'll see an increased participation in the donor program over the next year or so due to Chizik's hiring, but also due to the fact that the graduating student body has gained expectations for this program, and many of them will donate to support that. In the past, I think many people didn't donate because football (or athletics in general) weren't really that important to them. Now, with Pollard trying to win us conference championships, I think you'll see a small, but steady increase in donations among young alumni.
    Students do not tend to have a lot of spare money particuarly when they first get out of school. While it's great to get them involved right out of school, the bigger picture here is all of the Alumni.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 475

The thing I don't get is why I have to give so much money to just be a fan of a team. It used to be that you could just buy ticket's and go to a game. Now for some reason we have message board people calling us out for not giving our hard earned money to a state run University. Now I am a fan of Iowa State. I buy tickets. Go to the game. Buy food and drinks for my family of four. If you think however that I must give up some of my money to a government institution then you are mistaken. I give enough to get a parking spot and ticket's for the family. I still root just as hard as the guy who donates a lot of money. But instead of Iowa State University getting my money. My daughter and son get to do things like go to Disneyland. Take a trip to the Ozarks and many other things. Sorry if you don't like the reality of my situation but, I would wager (not my money) that 90% of the fans are just like me.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Good point. Then I did my part and just joined.

32 years later and I am still riding on the back.

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    The thing I don't get is why I have to give so much money to just be a fan of a team. It used to be that you could just buy ticket's and go to a game. Now for some reason we have message board people calling us out for not giving our hard earned money to a state run University. Now I am a fan of Iowa State. I buy tickets. Go to the game. Buy food and drinks for my family of four. If you think however that I must give up some of my money to a government institution then you are mistaken. I give enough to get a parking spot and ticket's for the family. I still root just as hard as the guy who donates a lot of money. But instead of Iowa State University getting my money. My daughter and son get to do things like go to Disneyland. Take a trip to the Ozarks and many other things. Sorry if you don't like the reality of my situation but, I would wager (not my money) that 90% of the fans are just like me.
    I understand what you're saying, I really do. Obviously this wasn't going to be a popular decision. Nobody is saying you have to, as Pollard noted in his release, about 50% of all seats available for football and basketball won't require any donation. That being said, I hope 90% of all fans aren't like you, because 40% of the stadium will be empty then. ;)

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Arrow Re: Shocking Donation #'s - Give to NCC!

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I didn't mean to "call anybody out" and I certainly wasn't suggesting that you're not a great fan; from your description I'd opine that you're supporting ISU better than 90% of our alumni base and your priorities are in order!

The fact remains that cold hard cash talks, as evidenced by the reality that those schools at the bottom of this list are generally towards the bottom of the conference standings as well. I understand your situation; lots of organizations are vying for my hard-earned cash and I have to make hard decisions as to where I want to give. We don't need to convince every fan to make a contribution to NCC, just another 4700 who have the desire and means to do so...

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain