Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Guard Play Revisited

Ok, so a couple days ago, a thread was posted about our poor guard play this year. That thread had close to 60 posts, mostly about poor guard play this year. This got me thinking about a video I watched back in November of coach McD talking about the recruiting of Phillips. He specifically stated that our guard play was "much improved" this year. So I guess I'm confused, is it improved or lacking?? I understand this(video) was back in November, but did the conference schedule make that statement null and void?? Did Lucca and Booz make that much of a difference to span the gap??

I've supplied the link of this interview for reference.(Around the 1:30 minute mark) Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QcWwaym2Sw"]YouTube - Mac on Phillips[/ame]

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 97

Re: Guard Play Revisited

Unforunately...scoreboard.

Conf play completely nullified any thought or evidence that our guard play was improved.

Well...heck, I guess technically it is slightly improved over last year. So the statement could be considered true.

Fanatic #25

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

It can be much improved and still lacking. They're not mutually exclusive. And in fact, in this case I think both are true.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 872
    Given: 602

It was improved until we went to conference play. Lucca had one game with ten threes. Booze scored 19. Then we lost our options. Now we have zero scoring from guards in the last game except for DG. That does not cut it. Guards need to be able to score in this league and we are sadly missing the most important ingredient. We cannot expect the front court to score 60 points a game.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cy1010 View Post
    It can be much improved and still lacking. They're not mutually exclusive. And in fact, in this case I think both are true.
    In addition, it would be weird if any coach came out and said that the guard play with the same guards (DG, LS, DB) and some new ones (CC, SC, MG) would regress for the upcoming season.

Similar to the odds of any coach saying that his new recruiting class wasn't the recruits that he wanted.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 44

Ok.... My thoughts.

Ball handling- better then last year. More talented guards at getting to the basket. Better passing then last year, still not the greatest. Guards still need to learn how to finish at the basket. ALL of THEM.

Shooting- Alot worse. Scotty isn't bad, but Petey last year hit alot more shots it seemed and more consistent. Also depending on if you count Lucca as an off guard or not. Plus, we have no 3pt threat off the bench since Boozer is out.

Defense- Terrible. Alot worse then last year and the year before. Every week a different guard has a career night against us. Very sickening. We can't guard the 3. We can guard the dribble drive. Very disturbing.

So, maybe McD did think our guards were better at the time. We dominated cupcakes, and DG looked good against them. No so much in Big 12 play though.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    Ok.... My thoughts.

Ball handling- better then last year. More talented guards at getting to the basket. Better passing then last year, still not the greatest. Guards still need to learn how to finish at the basket. ALL of THEM.

Shooting- Alot worse. Scotty isn't bad, but Petey last year hit alot more shots it seemed and more consistent. Also depending on if you count Lucca as an off guard or not. Plus, we have no 3pt threat off the bench since Boozer is out.

Defense- Terrible. Alot worse then last year and the year before. Every week a different guard has a career night against us. Very sickening. We can't guard the 3. We can guard the dribble drive. Very disturbing.

So, maybe McD did think our guards were better at the time. We dominated cupcakes, and DG looked good against them. No so much in Big 12 play though.
    SC is averaging more points/game than Peterson did last year, and he has a better FG% and a better 3pt% than Peterson had last year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

SC is averaging more points/game than Peterson did last year, and he has a better FG% and a better 3pt% than Peterson had last year.
    BP was great in the last three minutes when it was needed. Now we have no one to finish the game.

That would be okay if we could run solid plays under pressure, but we have not seen that. The last game was the epitome where DG was hoping to draw a foul and then had to take an impossible shot.

The perimeter defense against the threes is the most irksome in conference play. We allow way too many open three shots.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-01-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    BP was great in the last three minutes when it was needed. Now we have no one to finish the game.
    Do you have a stat for that? I don't think SC is a great 2 guard. But, I'd rather have DG and SC than Peterson and Lucca.

09-10 Stats.... Iowa State College Basketball - Cyclones Statistics - Men's Basketball - ESPN

08-09 Stats... Iowa State College Basketball - Cyclones Statistics - Men's Basketball - ESPN

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Garrett seems much better at dribble penetration, shot selection, and defense. Colvin gives us a guard that can actually get to the hoop, although he often doesn't finish. Scotty is much like BP except a little bigger and came down with a very untimely case of mono, which seems to have completely thrown off his shot. Boozer, before his injury, was the guy who was athletic enough to defend the players who have been getting hot against us. Lucca was a major clutch shooter who the other team always had to be on or he would make them pay.

I think although Lucca and Boozer aren't well-rounded players, they both brought something to the table that we are completely without right now, and that we need to win: a clutch 3 ball shooter and someone to stop the other team's player that we just can't seem to stop.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Do you have a stat for that? I don't think SC is a great 2 guard. But, I'd rather have DG and SC than Peterson and Lucca.

09-10 Stats.... Iowa State College Basketball - Cyclones Statistics - Men's Basketball - ESPN

08-09 Stats... Iowa State College Basketball - Cyclones Statistics - Men's Basketball - ESPN
    I remember BP was fairly silent with his shooting until we needed a big bucket from three or a two and he was able to make it at the critical times. He played bigger when needed.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I remember BP was fairly silent with his shooting until we needed a big bucket from three or a two and he was able to make it at the critical times. He played bigger when needed.
    I mean, yeah you can say that. But I can just say stuff too. Doesn't make it true. Just like everyone always says Kobe is the best closer in the NBA when statistically he's actually like 3rd or 4th.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I mean, yeah you can say that. But I can just say stuff too. Doesn't make it true. Just like everyone always says Kobe is the best closer in the NBA when statistically he's actually like 3rd or 4th.

On that subject, I think I would take Kobe over even LeBron and others. He can make a larger assortment of shots.

On the current Clone team, I am not sure who you would want to take that last tough shot. That is why the team identity is so vague.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-01-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 32

I miss Haluska. Hate his offense all you want, but the guy eliminated the opposing team's best guard threat.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

On that subject, I think I would take Kobe over even LeBron and others. He can make a larger assortment of shots.

On the current Clone team, I am not sure whop you would want to take that last tough shot. That is why the team identity is so vague.
    haha...okay

my only point is that the "eye test" doesn't usually tell the whole story.

you can have Kobe, but statistically you'd win more in the "clutch" if you had Lebron or Carmelo.