Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Job Change Question

Hello. I realize I ultimately need to make my own decision on this, but thought I'd see if anyone here had some advice. I have sort of leveled out on salary with my current employer, other than annual performance based pay raises, unless I would be willing to move, which I'm not. I am considering applying for another job elsewhere. However, when I weigh the increased salary compared to the reduction in benefits, the net increase is probably only around $10,000... and that's assuming that I'd meet a bonus target. With the new job, I may have to travel a little more and supposedly I'd need to work a little more independent than I do in my current position. In the end, I'm trying to decide whether its worth the job change for an additional $10,000 in salary and potential for future advancement without having to move. Other than pay, I am fairly satisfied with my current job. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 23

Re: Job Change Question

If you need the money then obviously take the new job. If you want more money, I'd weigh your happiness vs how happy you think you'd be in the new position. Personally I thought I'd hate traveling for work, but I am constantly on the road and have a love/hate relationship. How would your family take you being on the road occaisionally? Basically if your family and you can still maintain a level of happiness in your lives outside of work then I say take the new job. If there are indications that you wouldn't be able to do that then stay where you're at.

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Job security? In today's near 10% unemployment, I would be extremely confidant that the new job has built in longevity before I would leave the old one for a scant $10,000. If that issue is addressed, next would be the "happy meter". Is it all about the extra money that would make you happy or would the change of scenery make you happy? If both answers are yes, jump.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 371

Also figure in things like vacation, 401k match, pension, your age, flexibility, etc

If you are young and see no advancement possibilities at your current job, done a lot of research on the new company (talk to employees), etc than maybe go for it.

It's hard to leave a job you like. The money would be about 10th on the list of important items to consider.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by swiacy View Post
    Job security? In today's near 10% unemployment, I would be extremely confidant that the new job has built in longevity before I would leave the old one for a scant $10,000. If that issue is addressed, next would be the "happy meter". Is it all about the extra money that would make you happy or would the change of scenery make you happy? If both answers are yes, jump.
    yeah really... what's another $10,000... that probably wouldn't even cover the daily bus ride to work

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Also figure in things like vacation, 401k match, pension, your age, flexibility, etc

If you are young and see no advancement possibilities at your current job, done a lot of research on the new company (talk to employees), etc than maybe go for it.

It's hard to leave a job you like. The money would be about 10th on the list of important items to consider.
    What you have described is a raise with more advancement opportunities. I am assuming you are fairly young. Career path would be an important consideration at the beginning of your career. The jobs I have enloyed most were the ones that gave me the most autonomy. This sounds like one of those. Sounds good, except for the most important thing. You're not jumping at it. If you need us to talk you into it, it's probably not right for you (or your prespective employer). Over the years, I have had occasion to talk to a lot of successful people. The one thing they all had in common was, they trusted their "gut". Do that.

Early commit - fall 2024

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post

In this day and age, it is hard to leave a job you hate.