Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 52

Unemployment

My wife and I just recently moved and she had to quit her job after teaching for 6 years at the same school. She had returned to school after our children got older and completed her teaching degree while working 30+ hours a week. Now that we have moved and the schools are shrinking more than adding teachers she has looked for other positions. She applied at a bank and was told she was not qualified to be a teller even though she has the El Ed degree plus two years of Accounting. My son is two years out of college and graduated with a business degree and finance minor. He is looking for some supplemental income to help him while he gets started on a commission job. He applied at Wal Mart and was told he not competitive and could not be hired. Now, we have millions of people out of jobs who are looking for work. What does it take to be qualified for these jobs? I keep seeing people on TV saying they are looking but cant find a job and I wonder if they are in the same boat as my wife and son? Maybe the reason some of these people are out of work is because they cant get hired for jobs they are qualified for but not even being offered an interview. I know there has to be some HR people on here who might be able to shed some light on the application process and even on how people are qualified for positions.
    Any thing similar out there with others? I was always cynical figuring someone out of work couldnt be looking to hard but I am thinking maybe the qualification matricies are keeping people home.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: Unemployment

I'm no HR guru, but there is such thing as being overqualified, which I would say your son would be for a job at Wal-Mart.

Addict
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My wife and I just recently moved and she had to quit her job after teaching for 6 years at the same school. She had returned to school after our children got older and completed her teaching degree while working 30+ hours a week. Now that we have moved and the schools are shrinking more than adding teachers she has looked for other positions. She applied at a bank and was told she was not qualified to be a teller even though she has the El Ed degree plus two years of Accounting. My son is two years out of college and graduated with a business degree and finance minor. He is looking for some supplemental income to help him while he gets started on a commission job. He applied at Wal Mart and was told he not competitive and could not be hired. Now, we have millions of people out of jobs who are looking for work. What does it take to be qualified for these jobs? I keep seeing people on TV saying they are looking but cant find a job and I wonder if they are in the same boat as my wife and son? Maybe the reason some of these people are out of work is because they cant get hired for jobs they are qualified for but not even being offered an interview. I know there has to be some HR people on here who might be able to shed some light on the application process and even on how people are qualified for positions.
    Any thing similar out there with others? I was always cynical figuring someone out of work couldnt be looking to hard but I am thinking maybe the qualification matricies are keeping people home.
    I am not HR, although have been on the inside of some hirings before for work..your son is overqualified for the Wal-mart job for sure. They are looking for people with only HS diploma/GED most likely and most likely think your son could be "stealing" one of their jobs, so they tell him no.

I think a lot of people who hire are confused. who knows. We just turned away a kid who had almost a 4.0 double major and was involved in some stuff, and good communicator. Now THAT one really made me wonder what the **** is going on. It made absolutely no sense. It's almost as if we were actually testing who was interested in the position without having one available but giving hope to someone.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-01-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,229
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    I am not HR, although have been on the inside of some hirings before for work..your son is overqualified for the Wal-mart job for sure. They are looking for people with only HS diploma/GED most likely and most likely think your son could be "stealing" one of their jobs, so they tell him no.

I think a lot of people who hire are confused. who knows. We just turned away a kid who had almost a 4.0 double major and was involved in some stuff. Now THAT one really made me wonder what the **** is going on.
    What were the circumstances?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post
    What were the circumstances?
    Circumstances for what? Why we didn't hire him? I have no idea..he was basically a perfect fit. I'm still ****** off at the guy who is doing all of this and my opinion of him went way down after this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,229
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 68

As in what was the job? What were his majors?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post
    As in what was the job? What were his majors?
    It was for a consultancy job and his majors were Business and Computer Science

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 700
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 86

african american studies and hotel management

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I just wonder what it takes get a part time job to help yourself. Being over qualified but wanting to work shouldnt be a disqualification. If the person wants to work and is motivated to do a good job why not get some good use out of them. I understand they dont want to invest time training someone and have them quit but to disqualify before even having a face to face interview and getting a feel for what they are looking for is a waste of talent.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I just wonder what it takes get a part time job to help yourself. Being over qualified but wanting to work shouldnt be a disqualification. If the person wants to work and is motivated to do a good job why not get some good use out of them. I understand they dont want to invest time training someone and have them quit but to disqualify before even having a face to face interview and getting a feel for what they are looking for is a waste of talent.
    People are strange. What metro area does your son work in? Quad cities or...?

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree. I wonder what would happen if you just didn't tell the employer you have a college degree and just include your high school education on your resume. Can you even do that? It's not really lying, just not including all the details.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand the position totally. I'm looking to restart a career in IT after spending the last 15 years as a civil engineer in water/wastewater. I'm having a tough time finding a job even though I went back to school (information systems security) and I have a few certifications. Actually had an interview to unbox/install new desktops on a contract for 6 months (4200 total stations). I missed out and I know it's because they thought I was overqualified. Just doesn't seem right.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    People are strange. What metro area does your son work in? Quad cities or...?
    No he is actually in southeastern Iowa. Not exactly a hot bed for jobs so they are few are far between. You would just think that if someone is looking in this economy and they were over qualified it might be time to up grade the talent. I am being self serving on this I know but it just seems weird that there are people out there who want jobs but cant get them due to being over qualified.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

No he is actually in southeastern Iowa. Not exactly a hot bed for jobs so they are few are far between. You would just think that if someone is looking in this economy and they were over qualified it might be time to up grade the talent. I am being self serving on this I know but it just seems weird that there are people out there who want jobs but cant get them due to being over qualified.
    I 100% agree with you, which is why I brought up the thing about us not hiring the one guy. I firmly believe a lot of people in business shouldn't be making decisions and this is one of them.

The only way it makes sense to me is that "your son is stealing jobs from another person who can barely get any," but you know, it should be on merit right? Plus, they should be more worried with their client relations and how good someone who wants the job might be at it instead of "you're stealing jobs!"

Prospect
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have been in the same situation. All I was looking for was a job to hold me over but that prooved to be harder than it sounded. I was able to get a job through friends. No one is going to hire a person that can eventually take their job from them. Plus there is a lot of people with experience out there so it's pick of the litter or help a friend out and hire them. So basically social networking is probably helping more than ever.