Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 1,273

DirecTV TiVo issue

This weekend I had a new issue with my DirecTV TiVo. I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing anything like this.

First note that I have a DirecTV TiVo, not a DirecTV DVR. I think I got one of the last actual TiVo's before they switched to their own.

I went to turn on my TiVo receiver which was recording and I couldn't get it to come out of standby mode. No huge deal, this happens occasionly. I reset the system and it seemed to reset normally until I tried to restart the recording that had been taking place when I reset the system. When I tried, I got a message that my service was not set up and I should call DirecTV or reconnect by telephone. I tried to reconnect by telephone which was successful but it didn't resolve the problem. When I called DirecTV they tried to have me do some things and they tried some things from their end both with no success.

Ultimately they filled out a ticket and told me that this was a known problem out there and they were working on it.

Has anyone else on CF experienced this problem? If so do you have a TiVo or DirecTV DVR and has it been resolved for you? If not, how long have you been waiting for resolution?

They told me to give them 72 hours to resolve it. I really can't wait that long because Mrs. Veloclone will go ballistic if she can't TiVo Lost...

If the TiVo is dead it might be a good time to explore the competitiveness of Dish...

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 123

Re: DirecTV TiVo issue

Big announcement supposedly coming from tivo tomorrow on something, fwiw. Possibilities include new offering for directivo...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 35

I had to replace the 2nd to last Tivo in my house a few weeks back. It was sad :(

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I had a similar issue with a DirecTV DVR this weekend. If i paused live tv and let it sit for a long time, like 30 minutes or so, it would not resume playing again when I pressed the Play button, had to power off and restart and the recorded program was gone.

Shorter recording, like 5 minutes, seemed to work fine. I have not tried the exact scenario you described but will tonight.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Big announcement supposedly coming from tivo tomorrow on something, fwiw. Possibilities include new offering for directivo...
    This would be great news. The Tivo user interface and functionality are SOOOOO much better than DirecTv DVR.

I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by flynnhicks03 View Post
    This would be great news. The Tivo user interface and functionality are SOOOOO much better than DirecTv DVR.
    This! You've touched on a big part of why I have hung on so tight to what I have...

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I had a similar issue with a DirecTV DVR this weekend. If i paused live tv and let it sit for a long time, like 30 minutes or so, it would not resume playing again when I pressed the Play button, had to power off and restart and the recorded program was gone.

Shorter recording, like 5 minutes, seemed to work fine. I have not tried the exact scenario you described but will tonight.
    The 30 minute auto-record of a program on the active tuners did not seem to be affected on mine. I went all the way back the full 30 minutes a couple of times after this occurred with no apparent problem. It just wouldn't allow me to record the current program. You know, I didn't try to schedule a future recording now that I think about it. I will try that tonight and see what happens...

No TiVo is not a happy thing; with two little kids the only way the Mrs. and me can do much watching is with our TiVo.

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 26

I have not had your exact problem, but a week ago I had about 3 days in a row where I had to do a reset due to either no picture or a frozen screen. It seems to need frequent resets, which is one problem my HD DVR does not have...yet. Time will tell.

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

We have a fairly old standard definition DirecTV Tivo... I'm not sure we've had your exact problem, but it freezes up somewhat frequently and we have to unplug it and plug it back in to restart it. I think it might be on its last legs, as it seems to make a lot more noise than it used to. Didn't realize this, but I see DirecTV mentions the new Tivo HD DVR on its website. We still haven't taken the plunge to HD yet, but I plan to upgrade our equipment whenever we do. I've been thinking about switching to Dish Network, since we don't subscribe to the NFL Sunday Ticket. Any other reasons to keep DirecTV? Tivo might be enough to keep me with DirecTV.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If anyone is still interested, after another reset of the entire unit last night it appears to be operating normally. I don't know what if anything DTV did to fix the problem but I am recording with fingers crossed.

Mine is a old standard definition unit and with the constant software upgrades I don't know how much longer it will be compatible...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 328

Waiting on a TiVo announcement today...but found this on their website as I was looking around (in regards to DirectTV):

TiVo partners - TiVo

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Funny I just posted in this thread the other day while I was out of town. I get home today and my old DirecTV Tivo unit tells me that I need to activate my DVR service. It was already activated! I've been using it for years. Seems like the unit reset itself or something. Problem is I don't have a landline and it says I need to connect in order to activate the DVR service. Anyone have any advice? Will I need to take it to someone's house with a landline to activate it? Do the newer DVRs require a phone line? I would call DirecTV customer service, but I'm sure they'd tell me a phone line is required. I originally activated ours on a phone line, but have since gotten rid of it. We only have Vonage right now, which I have a hard time getting it to dial out on.