Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 94

Big 12 Team Statistics

I wanted to take a look at the numbers to see where this team is at in relation to the other teams in the league, to see if anything jumped out from the numbers:

2009-10 Men's Basketball Conference Statistics - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

ISU is the second worst scoring team in the league, and while they are a bit better on defense, they still give up an average of 6.7 more pts per game than they score. Despite having two NBA caliber players who can score from the post, they take bad shots, ranking 10th in FG percentage. Instead we shoot lots of threes, but hit them at about a 32% clip. We rebound well and block shots at a good clip so we are doing some good things defensively in the paint, but are near the bottom of the league in assists, turnovers, and steals.

I don't think this surprises anyone who has watched the team play. This is who they are. But I think it does show that we have issues in our guard play both offensively and defensively--that's where the assists, turnovers, and steals are typically generated. That's who is supposed to be feeding our higher percentage scorers in a place where they can score.

CB is frustrated. If he gets post position low, nobody sees him. If he comes out to accept the pass ten feet from the bucket, the double team forces a fade away jump shot. The kick out pass from the post usually amounts to a 3 point shot that draws iron at best. Gilly can get his own shots when there's help shifting over to CB, but nobody else can. And I really do mean nobody.

I don't doubt a lot of people will disagree with this conclusion which is OK. But the guards are not scoring, defending, or complementing our posts very well this year. A lot of people will say that's coaching, and I agree to a point, but it's more the players' own abilities and intangibles. Who in the guard court wants the ball, and can make the shot at a critical point in a game? At this point it is DG by default.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 0

Re: Big 12 Team Statistics

Quote Originally Posted by Die4Cy View Post
    I wanted to take a look at the numbers to see where this team is at in relation to the other teams in the league, to see if anything jumped out from the numbers:

2009-10 Men's Basketball Conference Statistics - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

ISU is the second worst scoring team in the league, and while they are a bit better on defense, they still give up an average of 6.7 more pts per game than they score. Despite having two NBA caliber players who can score from the post, they take bad shots, ranking 10th in FG percentage. Instead we shoot lots of threes, but hit them at about a 32% clip. We rebound well and block shots at a good clip so we are doing some good things defensively in the paint, but are near the bottom of the league in assists, turnovers, and steals.

I don't think this surprises anyone who has watched the team play. This is who they are. But I think it does show that we have issues in our guard play both offensively and defensively--that's where the assists, turnovers, and steals are typically generated. That's who is supposed to be feeding our higher percentage scorers in a place where they can score.

CB is frustrated. If he gets post position low, nobody sees him. If he comes out to accept the pass ten feet from the bucket, the double team forces a fade away jump shot. The kick out pass from the post usually amounts to a 3 point shot that draws iron at best. Gilly can get his own shots when there's help shifting over to CB, but nobody else can. And I really do mean nobody.

I don't doubt a lot of people will disagree with this conclusion which is OK. But the guards are not scoring, defending, or complementing our posts very well this year. A lot of people will say that's coaching, and I agree to a point, but it's more the players' own abilities and intangibles. Who in the guard court wants the ball, and can make the shot at a critical point in a game? At this point it is DG by default.
    This does show where are problems are. The assists, turnovers, and steals are all directly related to guard play.

There are people on here who point to DG's stats and say he's doing a great job, but I don't know how anyone that watches him actually play can say he's doing great. Almost all other Big 12 teams have guards that can go for 30 pts on a given night if they're hot. We don't.

And our guards don't create steals either. They really are the weakness on this team. I'm hoping that Colvin and Phillips are the starters next season, with DG and Scotty coming off the bench.

I actually think Buck is better at getting everyone involved than DG is. That's just my opinion.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 19

Is it disconcerting to anyone that we rely so heavily on the 3 pointer, and yet we are the ranked 11th in the conference in 3 pt shooting percentage?

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Yes, very much so. See CB stupid ******* 3 attempt with 1:30 to go yesterday.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

Any time CB or Colvin shoots a 3 it's stupid. They're both ~20% in conference play.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Die4Cy View Post

I don't agree with your statement about nobody can score. Ham is very efficient, but doesn't get enough shot attempts per game. Every time CB gets doubled he needs to look to dish off, but he would rather chuck up some low percentage shot. I'm not going to look it up right now, but Ham's been shooting around 75% all year while CB is shooting in the 40s. Last game was a perfect example. Ham goes 5-5 and CB shoots 6-17. Dendy went 3-5 when Ham got into foul trouble. Craig needs to learn to play team basketball and I think it's crazy for anyone to think he's an NBA caliber player. He might as well come back next season and get his degree because I don't think you're gonna hear too much from him at the next level.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The only numbers that jump out at me are 3-11.

Prospect
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by singsing View Post
    I don't agree with your statement about nobody can score. Ham is very efficient, but doesn't get enough shot attempts per game. Every time CB gets doubled he needs to look to dish off, but he would rather chuck up some low percentage shot. I'm not going to look it up right now, but Ham's been shooting around 75% all year while CB is shooting in the 40s. Last game was a perfect example. Ham goes 5-5 and CB shoots 6-17. Dendy went 3-5 when Ham got into foul trouble. Craig needs to learn to play team basketball and I think it's crazy for anyone to think he's an NBA caliber player. He might as well come back next season and get his degree because I don't think you're gonna hear too much from him at the next level.
    Ham gets the junk points, that is his roll and he fills it very well. Dendee shoots a high percent because they are fouling him (less than 50% Ft) and any FG attempt in which you were fouled doesnt count. If you look up how many shots Ham has made outside of offensive put backs or 3 foot dish offs, I doubt your going to find any.

Craig will make a ton of money it might not all be in the NBA but his first contract will be. His game really translates overseas...

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 838
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 8

Our problem is NOT the big men. They can rebound and they can score. We don't have ANY decent guards that can score.