Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

football recruiting?

i wonder how we are doing recruiting. ive been looking around and we dont have alot of guys listing us compared to other schools like texas, oklahoma, florida and even iowa. i know chizik is new, but im know we will atleast do better recruiting than mac

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Re: football recruiting?

Others can (and will) correct me if I'm wrong here but....

Summer is the first big recuiting/evaluation period. That's when coaches can evaluate potential recruits during their camps and the Nike camps.

Most schools don't start offering schollies until then and most recruits don't start making 'official' lists until then. Lots of recuits don't even start getting offers until during the football season. Coaches want to see how they've improved.

Everything you see now is where the recruit would 'like' to go.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

It is spring football time in Texas. That is the first chance for evaluation. The coaches swarm the prospects, starting now. There is no contact other than through the coaches, or whatever the NCAA regs are. But the coaches are here.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

most schools are out of the chute recruiting after last years february signings. mack brown and dennis fraudphony at texas and at texas a and m respectively, already have about 18-20 verbals for 2008 already. even stoopsy at oklahoma is heavily involved in recruiting.
    chizik and crew will wake up some day and say if we are going to win the big 12,"we had better get off from our butts!!!!!!!!"

doc

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

most schools are out of the chute recruiting after last years february signings. mack brown and dennis fraudphony at texas and at texas a and m respectively, already have about 18-20 verbals for 2008 already. even stoopsy at oklahoma is heavily involved in recruiting.
    chizik and crew will wake up some day and say if we are going to win the big 12,"we had better get off from our butts!!!!!!!!"
    With all due respect, I don't think Chizik has had the time to even sit on his butt since he go to ISU. He did a heck of a job getting the recruiting class he did and he seems to be doing a good job so far trying to patch together a respectable football team to put on the field. If your going to hate on Chizik or ISU football at least wait until they play 1 game or start fall practice. Here's a thought.....maybe give the guy more than 6 months on the job before you start hating on him.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by woodie View Post
    Most recruits are recruited long before their senior yr. That is the reason that other schools have many more listed. give GC 2 more years and we will have similar lists this time of year. Give the man a chance, he'll do the job. You need to wait until the official cantact periods, after spring practice. Right now getting our team ready for next year is priority ONE.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    i wonder how we are doing recruiting. ive been looking around and we dont have alot of guys listing us compared to other schools like texas, oklahoma, florida and even iowa. i know chizik is new, but im know we will atleast do better recruiting than mac
    Every one those teams is a top 10 school and Iowa was a top 20 just a year ago.

We have walk before we can run and it's going to take Coach a few years of momentum before he will be able to attract similar players.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    I don't post very often but let me say that if you are immediately making these kinds of comparisons then Chizek stands no better chance than Mac. I hope you speak for the minority. As a staunch supporter of Iowa State athletics Chizek is truly a clean slate approach to find out what is really possible for Iowa State football. Mac did a great job. Chizek is the perfect person to elevate the program if it can be done. We'll all know in 3-4 years if it is the coach or something else that has kept Iowa State football from reaching national heights over the last, oh, CENTURY! Let's be realistic and do our part for now, BUY TICKETS and cheer the team and staff on the field. Leaving things like recruiting and coaching to those tasked to do so.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Chizik. The man's name is Chizik.

Starter
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

To compare Longhorn or Aggie recruiting to Cyclone recruiting 10 months before signing day is silly. Look at the kids UT or A&M have signed- of the 36 kids, 35 are from TEXAS!!! The state of Iowa doesn't produce 35 elite level players in a decade.

Chizik is going to have to identify hidden gems. He's going to have to work hard during next football season to attract kids who are late bloomers and have big senior years. In the next decade, ISU recruiting will NEVER approach Texas, A&M, OU or the Huskers in getting the 4 or 5 star kids. ISU has zero FB tradition and the state of Iowa doesn't produce enough talent.

Chizik can succeed, but he'll need to do so by developing 2 & 3 star kids into All Big 12 caliber players. Sure we could get an occasional 4 or 5 star kid- I'd say at most 2-3 kids a year, but probably from the JUCO ranks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by wyckoff9 View Post
    I could have said Jean Swizzlestick and the point is the same. But I'm sure all the ChizIks thank you.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    Chizik can succeed, but he'll need to do so by developing 2 & 3 star kids into All Big 12 caliber players. Sure we could get an occasional 4 or 5 star kid- I'd say at most 2-3 kids a year, but probably from the JUCO ranks.
    I'm not quite sure about this. Although I don't think we'll have a ton of 4 stars, I think if we get the wins we can pick up a surprisingly high number of good recruits. If you check out www.iastate.rivals.com and check the recruit commitment lists for previous years you can see that Mac was able to pick up some good recruits. In 2002, he pick up 6 four star players, which was shortly after the 9-3 season when momentum for the program was high. Sure, some of those recruits didn't pan out, but they were still nationally rated highly. I think Chizik has a good chance to build up a good recruiting base.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 257

Quote Originally Posted by wyckoff9 View Post
    Who burnt your buns on the wrong end? Some people are just crappy spellers.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

isucy86-are you saying isu will always be a bottom feeder since we can't recruit likemack brown,dennis fraudphony,bobby stoops,and piNkie callahan.if chizek coached under mack brown,he should have leatned a thing or two about recruiting:1)recruit the best athlete;2)start your recruiting early=that helps produce national champs!!!!

doc

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

isucy86-are you saying isu will always be a bottom feeder since we can't recruit likemack brown,dennis fraudphony,bobby stoops,and piNkie callahan.if chizek coached under mack brown,he should have leatned a thing or two about recruiting:1)recruit the best athlete;2)start your recruiting early=that helps produce national champs!!!!
    Maybe you shouldn't read the board after you've been drinking woodie. That is not what he was saying at all. He was just saying that Iowa doesn't produce the same caliber players that Texas does. Because of this, we can't recruit in-state like they can for all of their talent; we need to sway kids to come up north instead of playing in hteir backyard.