Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Another example of great BF coaching

I think we have all been impressed at how well coached the freshman posts have been against some of the best competition the NCAA has to offer.

Last night I saw another small example of how Bill is a great coach. I watched for a good portion of the game as the KU guards sagged off of Stuckey. Denae tried, but her shot just wasn't on. I sat there and wondered if Bill was going to have to take her out as she was creating a huge liability on the offensive end. Obviously that would have hurt us big time on the boards and on defense.

When it came to crunch time Bill once again showed why he is one of the best coaches in the nation. He turned this liability into an asset. When they sagged off of her she started passing to our 3 point shooters and following the ball to screen on the ball. Without Denae's defender to help guard, the shooter's defender couldn't cover the shooter. There was no help on the other side of the screen. We got a few key baskets this way in a very tight game. I thought it was genius that Bill waited until late enough in the game to make the adjustment so KU didn't really have time to counter-adjust for it.

Poppens' steal in the last minute also cried out excellent coaching to me. Maybe Pop has just always been that smart of a player, but that sure looked to me like a thing she was asked to watch for during the previous time out.

Bill's in game adjustments never fail to amaze me.

He has never won COY, but I think he definitely has deserved it on more than one occasion.

Thoughts?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

Re: Another example of great BF coaching

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I think we have all been impressed at how well coached the freshman posts have been against some of the best competition the NCAA has to offer.

Last night I saw another small example of how Bill is a great coach. I watched for a good portion of the game as the KU guards sagged off of Stuckey. Denae tried, but her shot just wasn't on. I sat there and wondered if Bill was going to have to take her out as she was creating a huge liability on the offensive end. Obviously that would have hurt us big time on the boards and on defense.

When it came to crunch time Bill once again showed why he is one of the best coaches in the nation. He turned this liability into an asset. When they sagged off of her she started passing to our 3 point shooters and following the ball to screen on the ball. Without Denae's defender to help guard, the shooter's defender couldn't cover the shooter. There was no help on the other side of the screen. We got a few key baskets this way in a very tight game. I thought it was genius that Bill waited until late enough in the game to make the adjustment so KU didn't really have time to counter-adjust for it.

Poppens' steal in the last minute also cried out excellent coaching to me. Maybe Pop has just always been that smart of a player, but that sure looked to me like a thing she was asked to watch for during the previous time out.

Bill's in game adjustments never fail to amaze me.

He has never won COY, but I think he definitely has deserved it on more than one occasion.

Thoughts?
    This. You said it all.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 192

I agree wholeheartedly. He is an amazing Coach.

"I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice."

-Humpty

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

He is not just a great coach, but a great recruiter without getting the top level players. He has an eye for talent/potential.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

If it wasn't for Nebraska's amazing season he'd probably be Big 12 COY this year.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

Thoughts?
    Agreed, however I think Coach Yori at Nerbraska has it wrapped up this year even though the top 3 scorers are Seniors.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Wasn't there an article a few years back, (when Anne O'Neal was on the team maybe) about the WBB team's crazy high avg GPA. 3.5 or something like that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

No way he can be a good coach. He lets Aus run the team, and he listens to her. Great coaches don't let players make decisions. Ask Mac.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones26 View Post
    Agreed, however I think Coach Yori at Nerbraska has it wrapped up this year even though the top 3 scorers are Seniors.
    I have no doubt. We would think our coach was entitled regardless of what other coaches had done if we had an undefeated team this far into the season.

I'm okay (and I'll bet Bill is too) with always being the bridesmaid as long as he consistently has the winners...

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

VeloClone - great analysis - a casual fan like me, focused on the shot, missed what was going on around Stuckey. We have a great coach, but, one thing BF doesn't get enough props for is his staff. Jodi Steyer, 8 years, coaches guards; Latoja (Harris) Schaben, 13 years, coaches posts, as does Jack Easley, 7 years. This is extraordinary stability and likely contributes to rapid learning by the new players and helps with those adjustments. Even Josh Carper, relative newcomer, seems active during the game with communications. Brittany Lange is still on the bench, I'm unsure about her role.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Excellent point.

I have heard Jack get a lot of credit for getting the Freshman posts where they are today.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I agree with Bill being a great coach and pretty much everything you said. His leadership, recruiting, and Xs and Os are the heart and soul of ISU WBB.

That said, I don't think BF had anything to do with Pop's steal. I actually think she got caught out of position too far away from the basket (which left us exposed down low and why KU's guard made the pass inside) but Pop made a great hussle play to get back in position just in time for the steel. I watched that play a couple of times and I'm pretty sure Poppens' has an "O crap" moment right before she wheels around to get back down low where she should have been. I could be completely wrong, BF is a great coach so maybe he was trying to bate the inside pass but I suspect that in this case, it was a freshman making a mental mistake and then a great hussle play to make up for it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

By the way, even a casual fan (like me) notices these things when you make sure you are ignoring your spouse and concentrating 100% on the game.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't go back an watch it once again since I deleted the game this morning. I thought when I rewatched that portion earlier that she had her head turned that way antipating the pass. However, I can't say for sure so I will concede the point.

Edit: By the way, I don't think that was her assignment as someone else was already in defensive position between the KU post and the basket. Pop was guarding someone else on the other side of the lane at the free throw line.

If you are able to view it again, please look at it again for the both of us and let me know what you see. You've got me curious...

Last edited by VeloClone; 02-26-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I actually deleted it last night, NU FB game and bowl game trumps this game . I do know that at the start of the posession the Pop was down low on the left side (opposite side from the steel) of the court and that she followed a KU player up to the top of the key, and then, as soon as soon as the ball rotated around she turned 180 degrees and went straight down for the double team on the ball side. I suspect Bill's plan was to double down low on the ball side to deny the entry pass and that Pop found herself too high, but luckily the swing pass took a while and the entry pass was late and she had time to get back. That's just my .02 cents, could be totally wrong...Now I want to watch it again!