Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 66,768, Level: 80
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,256
    Points
    66,768
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 50

    Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Has anyone else got this?

    Last night I'm at home doing my own stuff and all of the sudden I'm getting notifications like "System Danger!", "Stealth intrusion", "Security Breach" etc. And it says all my security stuff like disabled, like my firewall. But when I go to Control Panel to check my firewall, it says its working just fine.

    Now I can't even get on the internet it just wants me to buy Vista Guardian 2010 to clean up my computer. I read that it is some virus that wants you to buy some scam virsu protection software.

    Not a computer expert by any means, thoughts to easily fix this???



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 730,130, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,497
    Points
    730,130
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,317
    Given: 640

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Has anyone else got this?

    Last night I'm at home doing my own stuff and all of the sudden I'm getting notifications like "System Danger!", "Stealth intrusion", "Security Breach" etc. And it says all my security stuff like disabled, like my firewall. But when I go to Control Panel to check my firewall, it says its working just fine.

    Now I can't even get on the internet it just wants me to buy Vista Guardian 2010 to clean up my computer. I read that it is some virus that wants you to buy some scam virsu protection software.

    Not a computer expert by any means, thoughts to easily fix this???
    I'm not a computer expert either, but that sounds pretty common, and might be a pop up for the virus software, which pops up when you visit porn sites

    That brings new meaning to the phrase, "doing my own stuff"



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 66,768, Level: 80
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,256
    Points
    66,768
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 50

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I'm not a computer expert either, but that sounds pretty common, and might be a pop up for the virus software, which pops up when you visit porn sites

    That brings new meaning to the phrase, "doing my own stuff"
    I would admit if i was on a good old nudie site, however I was on CF - clicked on the thread about Music Downloads and went to Pirate Bay (didn't download anything) and **** starting hitting the fan.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 31,634, Level: 54
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Apollo Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,667
    Points
    31,634
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Has anyone else got this?

    Last night I'm at home doing my own stuff and all of the sudden I'm getting notifications like "System Danger!", "Stealth intrusion", "Security Breach" etc. And it says all my security stuff like disabled, like my firewall. But when I go to Control Panel to check my firewall, it says its working just fine.

    Now I can't even get on the internet it just wants me to buy Vista Guardian 2010 to clean up my computer. I read that it is some virus that wants you to buy some scam virsu protection software.

    Not a computer expert by any means, thoughts to easily fix this???
    Take this with a graiun of salt from a technically challenged Boomer. What you have is called Mal-ware. It's a little piece of software that is designed to scare/annoy you into buying somebody's software to protect you. Try downloading SpyBot. If you loook around, you can find it free on the internet. It scans detects and removes spy-ware and, I think, it may get rid of the mal-ware you have picked up.

    In future, be careful where you put your mouse.


    Early commit - fall 2024

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 93,293, Level: 95
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,202
    Points
    93,293
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Malwarebytes.org

    download, update ( might need to use safemode with networking due to the internet problem) do a full scan and it should take care of it



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 66,768, Level: 80
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,256
    Points
    66,768
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 50

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    Malwarebytes.org

    download, update ( might need to use safemode with networking due to the internet problem) do a full scan and it should take care of it
    is this something i can download at work and save to a flash drive? This thing won't let me go to another website, even in safemode (tried that last night).



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 93,293, Level: 95
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,202
    Points
    93,293
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    is this something i can download at work and save to a flash drive? This thing won't let me go to another website, even in safemode (tried that last night).
    Yeah you can, you won't be able to update it.

    Do that at work then go home boot into safe mode and install it and perform the full scan will take 45mins to 1.5 hours.

    Once done and internet is working update it and run it again in normal mode to see if it gets anything else



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 66,768, Level: 80
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,256
    Points
    66,768
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 50

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    Yeah you can, you won't be able to update it.

    Do that at work then go home boot into safe mode and install it and perform the full scan will take 45mins to 1.5 hours.

    Once done and internet is working update it and run it again in normal mode to see if it gets anything else
    thanks for the help!



  9. #9
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 359,611, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,936
    Points
    359,611
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 522

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    Yeah you can, you won't be able to update it.

    Do that at work then go home boot into safe mode and install it and perform the full scan will take 45mins to 1.5 hours.

    Once done and internet is working update it and run it again in normal mode to see if it gets anything else
    In XP and Vista, you can go into safe mode and have access to the network and can update malwarebytes.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 10,263, Level: 30
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    533
    Points
    10,263
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Malwarebytes should work. After malwarebytes runs, run spybot to be sure. They both may pick up different things. If all else fails, reinstall is the safest solution.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 398,619, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,793
    Points
    398,619
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I would admit if i was on a good old nudie site, however I was on CF - clicked on the thread about Music Downloads and went to Pirate Bay (didn't download anything) and **** starting hitting the fan.
    I thought Angie warned you about Pirate Bay and Bit Torrent.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 93,293, Level: 95
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,202
    Points
    93,293
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    In XP and Vista, you can go into safe mode and have access to the network and can update malwarebytes.
    I know he said he went into safe mode with networking and it didn't work there either.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 66,768, Level: 80
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,256
    Points
    66,768
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 50

    Re: Vista Guardian 2010 - virus

    thanks everyone, back to normal!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM