Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 117,225, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,378
    Points
    117,225
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 14

    Downtown Des Moines Bars

    I need your help people. My buddy turns 32 this weekend, and wants to hit the bars downtown. Only thing he wants to hit the bars starting at 3pm and do some casual drinking like we used to in Ames for Friday after Class. We are not looking to get drunk off our butts but instead wanna try some locations we never been too or what not.

    He wants to hit bars with the following things.... Which I need help finding bars with these.

    1. Pool Tables-

    2. Big Buck Hunter-

    3. Bags (probably a long shot)-

    4. Shuffleboard- I know Johnny's but any others.

    He also wants to hit these bars, or atleast a couple.

    Locust Tap
    434 E Locust St


    AJ's on East Court
    419 E Court Ave

    Shorty's Bar
    202 Court Lower Level

    Vaudeville Mews
    212 Fourth St

    Buddy's Coral
    418 E 5th St

    Heros
    216 Court Ave

    Grand Piano Bistro
    506 E Grand

    Johnny's Hall of Fame
    302 Court Avenue

    Is there any other dives or hole in the wall bars we should try within walking distance downtown???



  2. #2
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 227,197, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,206
    Points
    227,197
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 336

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    EL bait shop!


    @RandomGeoFacts

  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 10,240, Level: 30
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    261
    Points
    10,240
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Raccoon River Brewery has lots of pool tables and shuffleboard I believe. Good micro brews as well.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 263,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,433
    Points
    263,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Take him to the Surf Shack. They do have pool tables and there is usually at some point in the night chicks up dancing on them. Enjoy the show.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 48,127, Level: 67
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cy Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,550
    Points
    48,127
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 45

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    I hear quite nice things about Legend's on here!


    Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 117,225, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,378
    Points
    117,225
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 14

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    EL bait shop!

    That is our ending sport for supper... Chicken Nachos rock there. Way ahead of you on that one.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 484,095, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,026
    Points
    484,095
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 98

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    I need your help people. My buddy turns 32 this weekend, and wants to hit the bars downtown. Only thing he wants to hit the bars starting at 3pm and do some casual drinking like we used to in Ames for Friday after Class. We are not looking to get drunk off our butts but instead wanna try some locations we never been too or what not.

    He wants to hit bars with the following things.... Which I need help finding bars with these.

    1. Pool Tables-

    2. Big Buck Hunter-

    3. Bags (probably a long shot)-

    4. Shuffleboard- I know Johnny's but any others.

    He also wants to hit these bars, or atleast a couple.

    Locust Tap
    434 E Locust St


    AJ's on East Court
    419 E Court Ave

    Shorty's Bar
    202 Court Lower Level

    Vaudeville Mews
    212 Fourth St

    Buddy's Coral
    418 E 5th St

    Heros
    216 Court Ave

    Grand Piano Bistro
    506 E Grand

    Johnny's Hall of Fame
    302 Court Avenue

    Is there any other dives or hole in the wall bars we should try within walking distance downtown???
    You got the dives pretty well covered. Beechwood is a fun place, over in the East Village. I think everyone has Big Buck Hunter.

    If you can get over to Ingersoll, the Alpine Tap Room is a great hole in the wall.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 263,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,433
    Points
    263,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Hard View Post
    I hear quite nice things about Legend's on here!
    Priceless. Just make sure you tip the wait staff well. I hear the owner can be a real ***.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 484,095, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,026
    Points
    484,095
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 98

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    Take him to the Surf Shack. They do have pool tables and there is usually at some point in the night chicks up dancing on them. Enjoy the show.
    Make sure he brings his Valtrex...


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 59,973, Level: 75
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    3,294
    Points
    59,973
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    pretty specific for a 32nd birthday. I didn't know men even celebrated birthdays after 25



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 263,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,433
    Points
    263,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Make sure he brings his Valtrex...



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 117,225, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,378
    Points
    117,225
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 14

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    You got the dives pretty well covered. Beechwood is a fun place, over in the East Village. I think everyone has Big Buck Hunter.

    If you can get over to Ingersoll, the Alpine Tap Room is a great hole in the wall.
    I was going to ask about the place... Been buy there before never there.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 117,225, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,378
    Points
    117,225
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 14

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    pretty specific for a 32nd birthday. I didn't know men even celebrated birthdays after 25
    Well... We haven't had a time to do a mid afternoon bar crawl before since leaving college, so we figured this is a good time to do it. Just happens to be his birthday, and he is picky...



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,590, Level: 24
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ISU4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    269
    Points
    6,590
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    Court Ave Brewing has a great happy hour, i believe 2 or 2.50 per pint and 1/2 price appetizers. Good for a Friday afternoon.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 107,567, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,090
    Points
    107,567
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 67

    Re: Downtown Des Moines Bars

    I love Shortys when I'm in Des Moines, when I was there a few weeks ago, they said they are going to close for a while to remodel.
    A man's birthday party should be celebrated more at somewhere like Hessen than going to Grand Piano Bistro.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM