Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Felipe Lopez?

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 36,878, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Clonegrad07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    36,878
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

    Felipe Lopez?

    WHY... oh WHY are the Cubs not interested in bringing in Felipe Lopez to play second base? I mean really... we want to leave it up to jeff baker/mike fontenot, when we could get Lopez, probably pretty cheap (2-3 mil/year), for one year to back up Theriot at short and play second.

    Then next year, Castro can come up and play short and move The Riot to 2nd. It's a full proof plan...



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 90,078, Level: 93
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CylentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Posts
    3,402
    Points
    90,078
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonegrad07 View Post
    WHY... oh WHY are the Cubs not interested in bringing in Felipe Lopez to play second base? I mean really... we want to leave it up to jeff baker/mike fontenot, when we could get Lopez, probably pretty cheap (2-3 mil/year), for one year to back up Theriot at short and play second.

    Then next year, Castro can come up and play short and move The Riot to 2nd. It's a full proof plan...
    I've already accepted that the Cubs' front office has no faith in this team contending for the Central this year. If the Cubs aren't in contention of a playoff berth in mid-July, then watch out, because they will trade/sell off some big name guys.

    Unfortunately, Soriano & Fukudome's contracts make them untradeable.


    "Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

    -Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 24,006, Level: 47
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Points
    24,006
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    I thought they were already moving Theriot to second. I know they've been talking more about it.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    I thought they were already moving Theriot to second. I know they've been talking more about it.
    Such a move makes too much sense for it to actually happen.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 36,878, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Clonegrad07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    36,878
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    I thought they were already moving Theriot to second. I know they've been talking more about it.
    They're not moving him there this year.... he's the SS this year. However, with Castro coming up, and Kim behind him.... I see 2B in Theriot's future. I like him and what he brings to the Cubs so I hope he adapts well over there. He came up as a 2nd baseman in the minors.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 114,208, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,441
    Points
    114,208
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 177

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    I thought you were talking about Felipe Lopez that played at St. Johns basketball team when I was in high school, boy was I way off.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonegrad07 View Post
    They're not moving him there this year.... he's the SS this year. However, with Castro coming up, and Kim behind him.... I see 2B in Theriot's future. I like him and what he brings to the Cubs so I hope he adapts well over there. He came up as a 2nd baseman in the minors.
    It would make sense to move Theriot to second, and would solve 2 problems at the same time. Blanco has better range and a slick glove (which we saw hints of last year), and moving him to short would improve the team defensively, and moving Theriot to second would put him back at his natural position while improving the teams hitting from that spot, which was a black hole all of last season.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 36,878, Level: 59
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Clonegrad07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    36,878
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    It would make sense to move Theriot to second, and would solve 2 problems at the same time. Blanco has better range and a slick glove (which we saw hints of last year), and moving him to short would improve the team defensively, and moving Theriot to second would put him back at his natural position while improving the teams hitting from that spot, which was a black hole all of last season.
    Well... Two problems with that:
    A) Theriot's natural position is SS. Played it in HS and College and didn't get moved to 2nd base until he became a pro. So while I think he's got some experience at 2nd base, his natural position is SS.
    B) Blanco doesn't hit a lick either... so it's 6 one, half dozen the other. Do we want the fontenot/baker combo hitting or do we want blanco hitting?

    I might agree with you that I'd rather give Blanco a shot, but we're not going to uproot our starting SS who hit .300 just to give a non-hitting, 2 year vet a shot. I would say put Blanco at 2nd and give him his shot there. Then he can fill in for Theriot on his days off and we can play Fontenot at 2nd on Theriot's off days.



  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 7,328, Level: 25
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    153
    Points
    7,328
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    Theriot would be an upgrade hitting wise over the other options, but Blanco certainly isn't. Baker was more than serviceable during his time with the Cubs, sure that might not carry over a whole season (hopefully Fontenot doesn't have a bad year again). I think keeping Theriot at SS is the best decision right now.

    I am actually pretty optimistic about this season and I'm not sure why anyone who was last year wouldn't be this year. We subtracted Bradley with Byrd which helps the outfield defense and hitting. We have a solid lefty reliever. Our closer situation is settled. We just need to stay healthy and I think we have a great shot at winning the Central. I think the players will be ready to get after it after missing out on the postseason last year.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 283,564, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,680
    Points
    283,564
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 29

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    We don't have any money left to spend.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 40,577, Level: 62
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,073
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,426
    Points
    40,577
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 64

    Re: Felipe Lopez?

    Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    I've already accepted that the Cubs' front office has no faith in this team contending for the Central this year. If the Cubs aren't in contention of a playoff berth in mid-July, then watch out, because they will trade/sell off some big name guys.

    Unfortunately, Soriano & Fukudome's contracts make them untradeable.
    we'll take byrd back from ya. we wouldve never let him go if the new ownership was in place but tom hicks and his shallow pocket didnt even give marlon a chance to stay. by trade deadline all t's will be crossed and new owners in place and checks will be being written as necessary.


    Husker Hater

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM