Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

past losses of posts

In response to some of the issues, red shirting and number of posts we should carry at one time, that appeared earlier today in the thread about Hallie Christofferson, I did some research to find out how many post players we lost from the 03-04 season through the 07-08 season. The reasons for the losses varied: some players transferred, some were injured, and at least one just quit basketball. I counted eight players who were lost for one reason or another in this five-year span. The players and dates are as follows:
    03-04: Megan Ebel, a 6-1 frosh post, gone after this year.
    Jane Horkey, a 6-3 frosh post, gone after this year.
    04-05: no losses or so it appears to me.
    05-06: Rachel Pierson, a 6-3 frosh post, had to take medical redshirt for bad back.
    06-07: Lisa Bildeaux, a 6-3 jr. to-be post, just quit basketball and did not play this yr.
    07-08: Rachel Pierson, left after 06 and transferred to DePaul (not sure about this.)
    Gillian Bjerke, 6-2 soph post, appears on roster but I believe she transferred before this yr.
    Nicki Wieben, 6-4 post, lost most of Big !2 season due to injury.
    Tocara Ross, 5-11 post, lost all of Big 12 season due to injury.
    In five seasons, then, we lost for one reason or another eight post players. The conclusion I draw--and you can agree or disagree or modify as you see fit--is that we need all the bigs we can get, providing they can be kept happy sharing PT.

Last edited by Kitkat; 02-24-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: past losses of posts

Say wha?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    In response to some of the issues, red shirting and number of posts we should carry at one time, that appeared earlier today in the thread about Hallie Christofferson, I did some research to find out how many post players we lost from the 03-04 season through the 07-08 season. The reasons for the losses varied: some players transferred, some were injured, and at least one just quit basketball. I counted eight players who were lost for one reason or another in this five-year span. The players and dates are as follows:
    05-06: Rachel Pierson, a 6-3 frosh post, had to take medical redshirt for bad back.
    06-07: Lisa Bildeaux, a 6-3 jr. to-be post, just quit basketball and did not play this yr.
    07-08: Rachel Pierson, left after 06 and transferred to DePaul (not sure about this.)
    Gillian Bjerke, 6-2 soph post, appears on roster but I believe she transferred before this yr.
    In five seasons, then, we lost for one reason or another eight post players. The conclusion I draw--and you can agree or disagree or modify as you see fit--is that we need all the bigs we can get, providing they can be kept happy sharing PT.
    Ebel was a wing, i think, not a post. I think Bjerke transferred at semester in 07-08.

If you go back a few more years, you can add two players who came in as freshmen with Welle and left after 99-00 -- Jessica Jackson (quit due to recurring injuries) and Alyssa Shriver (transfer to Tulsa), as well as three more transfers after 01-02, Melanie Bremer, Nina Smith, and Kate Bauman, If you look since 07-08, you can of course add Arlen to the list.

Last edited by mred; 02-24-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Ebel was a wing, i think, not a post. I think Bjerke transferred at semester in 07-08.

If you go back a few more years, you can add two players who came in as freshmen with Welle and left after 99-00 -- Jessica Jackson (quit due to recurring injuries) and Alyssa Shriver (transfer to Tulsa), as well as two more transfers in 01-02, Nina Smith and Kate Bauman, If you look since 07-08, you can of course add Arlen to the list.
    Yes, I knew I was being arbitrary in my selection of years, but I left out last year because I figured everyone would recall Arlen's departure.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Horkey went to Drake and played, but never amounted to what she was billed as. Pierson has hardly played at DePaul since transferring, and has not played this year according to DePaul stats. She is out with a back injury this year, after playing only 10 games in 2008-2009 with the same injury. I think we came out ok losing both of these two.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Chrisofferson is being recruited mostly as a wing, I believe, so your point is somewhat moot. It's somewhat moot and not completely moot because she is capable of playing in the post, if she adds more strength. But I think her primary position will be small forward, what Bolte is playing now. Your point would more likely apply to the recruitment of Kiah Stokes and the post player from the Des Moines school who's name I can never remember, IMO.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 45

This plus MRed's additions seem to be how I remember the matriculation of post players too. Yes, RP did transfer to DePaul. Good Summary

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 126

You do need a couple of posts as has been pointed out people leave. Some due to injury, some because they do not want to be the backup(even though that is all they really can do) and some because they can not take the pressure of Div 1 basketball. We have three strong post players and year after next is when we need to bring in our next group of bigs.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

I wouldn't mind seeing us get a real big body player, say 6 3 or taller and stout, that may not be an offensive threat, but that can be a beast on defense, put backs, and boards and play 20 minutes or so to tire out other teams posts. However, Pop/Zim/Prins seem to be doing okay on the bigger bigs in Big 12 play and did so at MN.

That being said, I really like who we have on this team, and who is coming in so far. Truthfully, I am more worried about our guard play after Bolte leaves.