Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 283
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 6,242, Level: 23
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ylabhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    42
    Points
    6,242
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Greg will get it done and why

    So almost everyone has been putting the ax to the program so like coach said if you continue to do the same thing you will get the same results. So I am going to change it up and say why it will work. Here is my Top 5 why it will work:

    1. The fans – Our fans are in the Top 10-15 programs in the country. We will still show up even if the wins are not there. Does it make it more difficult for the marketing team? Yes but it speaks volumes for recruits which will be covered later.

    2. Stats - there is nothing that stands out that points to “Coach sucks in this department.” So I view this as we are doing the right things in all aspects of the game. Rather than being able to say we cannot rebound, we cannot defend, we turn it over too much, etc. He keeps us in games, outside of (Cal, Duke, K @ home) you can say we had a legitimate chance to win during every single lose. Which makes it more difficult to accept and easier to blame coach.

    3. Players – we are still getting quality players to come. We have had 2 potential NBA lottery draft picks at ISU in the last 3 years (Wes and Craig), not to mention a potential 2nd rounder in Gilstrap. Not too many programs can say that. Is it possible that we over hype the players prior to them playing a game (Lucca, Colvin, and now Ejim and possibly Clyburn)? I doubt a single person would say they thought Wes and Craig would be lottery picks prior to them stepping foot on campus. I think Greg is developing players and still getting quality recruits. He just has not been able to complete the puzzle and it appeared this year it would be there. Big men check, athletic wing check, outside shooter check, experience point guard check. Unfortunately the big men might be the only check now.

    4. Greg’s reputation – this isn’t something that other people/coaches make up. I don’t remember Steve Alford getting too many remarks of encouragement during his Iowa tenure because he is an A-hole!!! Don’t even write the comment because they can mark down a win or two…that is not the case. If nothing else they want everyone in the conference to succeed because it only helps their resume. It helps there RPI, quality wins, recruiting. What looks better to a recruit the big 12 getting 5-6 teams in the dance or 8-9? So it does nothing for other programs to fail.

    5. Football program – WHY would I put this on there? Well with a coaching change it will cost $1m-2m at least (I would assume the buyout would be negotiated down from the $2.5m owed it typically is). So does JP want to put $1m-2m in a marginal revenue producing sport or try and develop a program that can fund the entire department. JP is a money/fundraising guy, if he can get the FB program rolling the cash will follow it. Therefore until the buyout can be a more reasonable number, Hilton becomes profitable (remember they just took that back over), and/or they cannot give tickets away (Iowa). Greg will be the coach and will turn this ship around.

    Remember the product we are purchasing Iowa State!!!


    Last edited by Ylabhunter; 02-24-2010 at 09:45 AM.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 255,633, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,815
    Points
    255,633
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    Suffice it to say that I disagree with your first three points, I think your fourth point is inconsequential, although I do agree with your 5th point. Unfortunately that is too close for comfort to my college GPA.




  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    Not even close.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  4. #4
    Rookie CycloneBBallMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    589
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    How do you disagree with #1? I checked and last year we were ranked top 30 in attendance. This definately would be a big plus if i were a potential recruit.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 41,303, Level: 62
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,808
    Points
    41,303
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    Spacing and paragraphs would help your argument.

    I will skip right to your last statemet "We are buying Iowa State"

    As a donor I am questioning what I am paying for.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 28,175, Level: 51
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    1,844
    Points
    28,175
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    OK If I understand you correctly you are saying that in reason #5 that GMac will get it done because Pollards knows it is better to spend money towards the football program than to bite the bullet and make a decision towards how to handle Gmac?

    Basically meaning Gmac will get it done by default because ISU is not in a good enough financial position to fire him.

    CLASSIC


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 41,303, Level: 62
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,808
    Points
    41,303
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    And losing this attendance (as we seem to be, actual not prepaid) removes this argument.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 31,504, Level: 54
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,675
    Points
    31,504
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 114

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    Quote Originally Posted by Ylabhunter View Post
    So almost everyone has been putting the ax to the program so like coach said if you continue to do the same thing you will get the same results. So I am going to change it up and say why it will work. Here is my Top 5 why it will work:

    1. The fans – Our fans are in the Top 10-15 programs in the country. We will still show up even if the wins are not there. Does it make it more difficult for the marketing team? Yes but it speaks volumes for recruits which will be covered later.
    2. Stats - there is nothing that stands out that points to “Coach sucks in this department.” So I view this as we are doing the right things in all aspects of the game. Rather than being able to say we cannot rebound, we cannot defend, we turn it over too much, etc. He keeps us in games, outside of (Cal, Duke, K @ home) you can say we had a legitimate chance to win during every single lose. Which makes it more difficult to accept and easier to blame coach.
    3. Players – we are still getting quality players to come. We have had 2 potential NBA lottery draft picks at ISU in the last 3 years (Wes and Craig), not to mention a potential 2nd rounder in Gilstrap. Not too many programs can say that. Is it possible that we over hype the players prior to them playing a game (Lucca, Colvin, and now Ejim and possibly Clyburn)? I doubt a single person would say they thought Wes and Craig would be lottery picks prior to them stepping foot on campus. I think Greg is developing players and still getting quality recruits. He just has not been able to complete the puzzle and it appeared this year it would be there. Big men check, athletic wing check, outside shooter check, experience point guard check. Unfortunately the big men might be the only check now.
    4. Greg’s reputation – this isn’t something that other people/coaches make up. I don’t remember Steve Alford getting too many remarks of encouragement during his Iowa tenure because he is an A-hole!!! Don’t even write the comment because they can mark down a win or two…that is not the case. If nothing else they want everyone in the conference to succeed because it only helps their resume. It helps there RPI, quality wins, recruiting. What looks better to a recruit the big 12 getting 5-6 teams in the dance or 8-9? So it does nothing for other programs to fail.
    5. Football program – WHY would I put this on there? Well with a coaching change it will cost $1m-2m at least (I would assume the buyout would be negotiated down from the $2.5m owed it typically is). So does JP want to put $1m-2m in a marginal revenue producing sport or try and develop a program that can fund the entire department. JP is a money/fundraising guy, if he can get the FB program rolling the cash will follow it. Therefore until the buyout can be a more reasonable number, Hilton becomes profitable (remember they just took that back over), and/or they cannot give tickets away (Iowa). Greg will be the coach and will turn this ship around.
    Remember the product we are purchasing Iowa State!!!
    While I agree with the intention of this statement (don't waste money on a buyout, at least not yet), the fact that we as fans and the University do not want to see this money go to a contract buyout does not in any way actually say that Mac will turn around the program and "Get it Done". I'm not trying to bring negativity to the post, I'm just saying that this is a poor "reason" to think that things will turn around. It seems more like a reason that things and the coach will not change.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  9. #9
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 271,396, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,693
    Points
    271,396
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 299

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    I may not agree with all of them, but you make some good points. And I applaud you for actually putting rationale behind your opinions unlike many here.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 176,846, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,481
    Points
    176,846
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 80

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    Shouldn't your 3rd post be a cause for concern rather than a cause for hope?

    Your first post is already showing to be not true.

    Your second post neglects to mention that we are very close to being winless in the Big 12, with losses to NDSU and Houston as well.

    I agree with your 4th and 5th points. They don't mean we will ever win under Greg, but they are true.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 51,023, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    51,023
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    Wow, the guy comes out and stands up for our basketball program and people start cutting him down right away.

    This season and winter are wearing thin on a lot of people, but you don't have to cut down everyone who supports the basketball program.


    Last edited by cycloneworld; 02-24-2010 at 10:48 AM.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    Wow, the guy comes out and stands up for our basketball program and people start cutting him down right away.


    This season and winter are wearing thin on a lot of people, but you don't have to cut down everyone who supports the basketball program.
    Congratulations on cutting down people for disagreeing with someone's opinion.


    Last edited by cycloneworld; 02-24-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 176,846, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,481
    Points
    176,846
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 80

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I may not agree with all of them, but you make some good points. And I applaud you for actually putting rationale behind your opinions unlike many here.
    Agreed. Thanks for actually having some reasoning besides blind faith.



  14. #14
    Prospect
    Points: 4,110, Level: 18
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Points
    4,110
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    I wish I were that confident.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 41,303, Level: 62
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,808
    Points
    41,303
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Greg will get it done and why

    I appreciate his support, rationale and points, but the fact is the MBB is in trouble and there will be disagreement.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM