Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thumbs up

How would you rate our 3-pt shooters? Rating must be based on ability to make 3s in game situations, not who is the best shooter technically. For example, Brock Jacobson is probably technically the best 3-pt shooter, and could win a 3-pt shooting contest, but I wouldn't say he's the one I want taking a 3 at the end of a close game. Anyway, after watching the Cap City League games, here's how I'd rank them:

1. Mike Taylor - QR

2. Corey McIntosh - QR

3. Dodie Dunson - QR

4. Jessan Gray - QR

5. Cory Johnson - SU/QR?

6. Wesley Johnson -QR

7. Brock Jacobson - SU

8. Rahshon Clark - SU

9. Mark Curry - SU

10. Alex Thompson - SU

11. Jiri Hubalek - SU/QR?

12. Ross Marsden - SU

QR = Quick Release: Can hit the 3 off the dribble or quickly after receiving a pass (like Mike Nurse).

SU = Spot-Up: Sets up and takes time to shoot but can be deadly accurate (like Jake Sullivan).

Interestingly, I think 1--11 could all take the shot in pressure situations; there's not a lot of separation from 1 -- 9. However, I really like 1&2 in these situations most.

It sure seems like we have a lot of 3-pt shooting talent. It will be interesting to see what the offense looks like. I know that McD's teams have used the 3-pt shot a lot in the past. I think having a structured offense will be a lot better at getting guys open for 3s.

GO CYCLONES!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97
    You are missing Dodie Dunson who I would have in the top 2-3. One game early in the Capital City league he went something like 11 for 14 at the three point line and when I was at the Sunday tournament, his outside shooting was about the only part that kept that game close.

Otherwise, your list looks pretty accurate to me.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyclonesrule91 &#064; 07&#045;19&#045;06 1&#58;07 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> You are missing Dodie Dunson...[/b][/quote] Dang&#33; I knew I forgot someone. And how could I forget Dodie. You&#39;re right, he&#39;s a pretty awesome 3-pt shooter from what I&#39;ve seen. Dodie, you&#39;re on the list now... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

GO CYCLONES!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97
    One person on your list that I wish would never be on there is Jiri Hubalek. We need him to play the 5 man and stay in or close to the paint and not floating around the three point line like he has for the majority of the Capital City league. I am confident though that GMAC will fix that situation.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Prospect
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Rashon Clark at #8? He is a 40% career shooter from behind the arc in game situations where actual defense is being played. If we have 7 better shooters from downtown than him we should have the best shooting team in the country. There is a huge difference in play from the big 12 to pick up basketball in Des Moines, some of the players that absolutely light it up in the Cap City league would literally be completely shut down in the Big 12.

isu_pimps

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(isu_pimps &#064; 07&#045;19&#045;06 1&#58;24 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Rashon Clark at #8? He is a 40% career shooter from behind the arc in game situations where actual defense is being played. If we have 7 better shooters from downtown than him we should have the best shooting team in the country. There is a huge difference in play from the big 12 to pick up basketball in Des Moines, some of the players that absolutely light it up in the Cap City league would literally be completely shut down in the Big 12. [/b][/quote] Looking at last year&#39;s stats, Rahshon is 37.2% all games and 34.4% in conference games. In all games, he had the 4th best 3-pt percentage, behind Blalock, Neal, and Gray (Gray was the best at 50%&#33;). In conference games, he also was in 4th place (Neal was best at 49%, followed closely by Gray).

Also, looking at the game-by-game stats, he&#39;s very streaky. Hot one game, cold the next. All of the others I ranked above him seem more consistent from what I&#39;ve seen.

So, yes, I really think he should be ranked where I have him. You really don&#39;t have to be that great to be ahead of him, based on his stats. Note that I&#39;m not saying that he&#39;s a bad player, just that there are other better 3-pt shooters.

GO CYCLONES!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 346
    Jake Sullivan could hit 80% in practice and 36% in game situations with a hand in his face and 23% at the end of the game.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cygoat &#064; 07&#045;19&#045;06 1&#58;46 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Looking at last year&#39;s stats, Rahshon is 37.2% all games and 34.4% in conference games. In all games, he had the 4th best 3-pt percentage, behind Blalock, Neal, and Gray (Gray was the best at 50%&#33;). In conference games, he also was in 4th place (Neal was best at 49%, followed closely by Gray).

Also, looking at the game-by-game stats, he&#39;s very streaky. Hot one game, cold the next. All of the others I ranked above him seem more consistent from what I&#39;ve seen.

So, yes, I really think he should be ranked where I have him. You really don&#39;t have to be that great to be ahead of him, based on his stats. Note that I&#39;m not saying that he&#39;s a bad player, just that there are other better 3-pt shooters.

[/b][/quote]

Wow. I will have to disagree with you there, Gray hardly took any threes (and was basically left wide open anytime he was out there) and besides the Iowa game 3 years ago Neal has always specialized in making 3&#39;s when the game was already out of reach or we were playing a cupcake. Don&#39;t forget Rashon also led the entire team as a true freshman, Lets compare the 4 years of a certain player from Dukes 3% with Rashon&#39;s first 2 seasons.

Fresh Soph Jr Sr

JJ Redick: 39.9% 39.5% 40.3% 42.1%

Rashon 40.4% 37.2%

Douby shot 39% last year, Gerry Mcnamara 34%, , Allan Ray 38%, Justin Gray 36%, Daniel Gibson 38%

Jake Sullivan only shot 38% his senior year, and he had Vro and Ho down low to kick it out to him.

Am I saying Rashon is as good as JJ or Jake, absolutely not, but to say he is behind seven other players based on a summer pick up game league and that "you don&#39;t have to be that great to be ahead of him based on the stats" blows me away. Don&#39;t forget how much easier an inside game makes 3 point shooting, and Rashon has only had Homan&#39;s 13 ppg once in his career TWO years ago. It just seems absolutely insane to rank RC behind 7 players with a combined total of 11 divison 1 three pointers&#33;

Could Brock Jacobson GET OFF a three in the big 12? Cory Johnson will be a perimeter player for us?

P.S. I completely agree with you Bryceman, I am very happy he was a clone but is there any queston at all that Jake Sullivan is by far the most overrated player in ISU history in any sport.

isu_pimps

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    > ...to say he is behind seven other players based on a summer pick up game league and that "you don&#39;t have to be that great to be ahead of him based on the stats" blows me away. Don&#39;t forget how much easier an inside game makes 3 point shooting, and Rashon has only had Homan&#39;s 13 ppg once in his career TWO years ago. It just seems absolutely insane to rank RC behind 7 players with a combined total of 11 divison 1 three pointers&#33;

I stand behind my assertion. Am I "insane"? Maybe. Clark is an inconsistent 3-pt shooter, whose overall percentage is OK but not outstanding. Also, keep in mind that I said there is not that much separation among the top 10 or so. It was very hard to rate them after the top 2.

> Could Brock Jacobson GET OFF a three in the big 12?

I don&#39;t know, but if he can, look out. I guess we&#39;ll find out. Apparently, he was awfully damn good in practice last year, and he impressed the new coaching staff.

> Cory Johnson will be a perimeter player for us?

No, but I think he has a much more consistent 3-pt shot than Rahshon. He can play inside or outside, although he&#39;s more valuable near the basket. Mark my words, he can hit the 3.

> P.S. I completely agree with you Bryceman, I am very happy he was a clone but is there any queston at all that Jake Sullivan is by far the most overrated player in ISU history in any sport.

Wow, that&#39;s pretty harsh. After his freshman year, he was pretty much the only 3-pt threat on the team and always had a man guarding him closely. If you want to grant Clark some slack because of a "lack of inside game", you should be willing to do the same for Sullivan because of the lack of supporting cast.

GO CYCLONES!

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    I for one will be excited to see a team with actual three point threats.

As for Jake, I don&#39;t think he was overated at all. He hit tons of big threes. He did have some trouble shooting on the road, but I&#39;ll be he&#39;s hit more threes at Hilton than anyone.

I&#39;d say that Rashon Clark (at this point) is way more overated than Sullivan ever was. What has Rashon done up till now other than some big dunks? He definitely needs to improve his handle if he is going to be the player that GMac needs this year.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I know it is strictly opinion and doesn&#39;t matter #3 vs. #2, but I don&#39;t know how you put either McIntosh or Taylor above Dodie Dunson. Dodie hit so many threes in the Capital City League and was on fire when he was playing all out. And really it would be a toss up between the three until we can see what they can do against a division one team. But if you are basing it off of the league only, than Dunson has to have the most threes drained for sure.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    theres 1 for sure thing, perimeter game will be better than last years.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CY ST8T &#064; 07&#045;20&#045;06 11&#58;44 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> I know it is strictly opinion and doesn&#39;t matter #3 vs. #2, but I don&#39;t know how you put either McIntosh or Taylor above Dodie Dunson. Dodie hit so many threes in the Capital City League and was on fire when he was playing all out. And really it would be a toss up between the three until we can see what they can do against a division one team. But if you are basing it off of the league only, than Dunson has to have the most threes drained for sure. [/b][/quote] True, Dunson was a pretty phenomenal 3 shooter this summer. Since we&#39;re rather thin at the guard position, I&#39;m sure he&#39;ll get plenty of opportunities to show how good he can be in real game situations.

GO CYCLONES!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 346
    Speaking of 3 point shooters (from last year), I googled "Curtis Stinson NBA" and the 3rd possibility came up: http://crosscyed.blogspot.com/2006/02/curt...ded-to-nba.html

The headline was old yet very accurate, but the story was not accurate. Just a coincidence from Crosseyed.

Anyone know what happened to Curtis? Is he going to Spain or Greece to play?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bmuff &#064; 07&#045;20&#045;06 11&#58;28 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> I for one will be excited to see a team with actual three point threats.

As for Jake, I don&#39;t think he was overated at all. He hit tons of big threes. He did have some trouble shooting on the road, but I&#39;ll be he&#39;s hit more threes at Hilton than anyone.

I&#39;d say that Rashon Clark (at this point) is way more overated than Sullivan ever was. What has Rashon done up till now other than some big dunks? He definitely needs to improve his handle if he is going to be the player that GMac needs this year. [/b][/quote]

Thanks for proving Bryceman&#39;s point bmuff&#33; Clark is more overrated than Sullivan ever was? Compare the stats from Rashons sophomore year to Sullivans senior year:

Pts Reb Ast TO FG% 3FG% Blk Stl

13.1 5.5 1.4 1.4 49.5 37.2 1.0 1.4 SOPHOMORE

14.6 1.9 1.6 1.4 43.7 38.3 0.1 0.5 SENIOR

Maybe we could have Jake coach Rashon to be the better player he was&#33; He could teach him to rebound less, miss more shots, steal the ball less and block fewer shots. The stats of the two are somewhat close, with Clark being better, until you factor in that Clark is an excellent defensive player and Jake was undeniably one of the worst defensive players in the history of the big 12.

isu_pimps