Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

America's Costliest Cities

Full List: America's Costliest Cities - Forbes.com

To compile this list, we looked at cost of living expenses in six categories: grocery items, housing, utilities, transportation, health care, and miscellaneous goods and services. We used the most recent ACCRA Cost of Living Index, a measure of urban living costs the Council for Community and Economic Research (C2ER) produces each quarter. C2ER identifies the costs of 57 consumer items and services in different metro areas, from groceries to medical and housing costs to dungarees, for 320 Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Divisions (U.S. Office of Management and Budget -defined areas that the federal government uses to collect statistics). C2ER weights them according to how households typically distribute their spending. From that, they calculate an index number that compares the price of this basket of goods and services in different cities. An index number above 100 indicates a higher-than-average cost of living. From the C2ER's Index, we looked at the 39 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Divisions for which they had data, and ranked them by index number to find the costliest cities.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

Re: America's Costliest Cities

Interesting list....of course, this is counting the MSA/CMSA and not just the city. It really depends where you live. If we were looking at just cities, the list would be a little different. Since this is MSA/CMSA though...it's slightly different.

It's interesting they're using ACCRA and nothing else, like the CPI from the Bureau of Labor Statistics or something to that effect.

I also wonder what period their data is from. the OMB changes definitions for MSAs all the time too.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 41

Austin at #23.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Keep in mind this is the entire metro area, not just the city. For example, in Chicago, I pay more than $14.77 for a haircut, more than $2.48 for toothpaste, more than $1.90 for kleenex, etc..

If I were to go to some random suburb 20 miles away, I'm sure I'd find those prices though.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I know they say they look at Housing but do they really? NYC is more than double the average, but consider if you move there from the Midwest. A small apartment in a reasonable neighborhood is around 1 million. So you need $100K min for a down payment. Even if you are leaving a $300K house in the Midwest, how do you come up with a down payment, and the mortgage on $900K?

I thought about moving there in 03. I calculated that I would need to make nearly 4.5 times what I make in Iowa, to even begin to try and live a smiliar lifestyle. That did not include private education for my children.

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Keep in mind this is the entire metro area, not just the city. For example, in Chicago, I pay more than $14.77 for a haircut, more than $2.48 for toothpaste, more than $1.90 for kleenex, etc..

If I were to go to some random suburb 20 miles away, I'm sure I'd find those prices though.
    Keep in mind most people don't go to salon's for haircuts, don't use super whitening toothpaste and aloe vera kleenex tissues. God your incredibly arrogant.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    Keep in mind most people don't go to salon's for haircuts, don't use super whitening toothpaste and aloe vera kleenex tissues. God your incredibly arrogant.
    Live in the middle of a large city. I don't buy "super whitening toothpaste" and I don't buy "aloe vera kleenex." The grocery store I shop at, which is near me, is THAT expensive. Everything costs more where I live and it's not super premium ******** like you mentioned.

Shop anywhere in the middle of a big ******* city and you'll see the prices of these good, NORMAL GOODS, cost way more than in the suburbs.

You're incredibly arrogant for thinking you actually know the normal prices of my ******* grocery store. Would you like me to take pictures of the prices of NORMAL **** in my grocery store or are you going to think you know what the **** you're talking about?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post
    I know they say they look at Housing but do they really? NYC is more than double the average, but consider if you move there from the Midwest. A small apartment in a reasonable neighborhood is around 1 million. So you need $100K min for a down payment. Even if you are leaving a $300K house in the Midwest, how do you come up with a down payment, and the mortgage on $900K?

I thought about moving there in 03. I calculated that I would need to make nearly 4.5 times what I make in Iowa, to even begin to try and live a smiliar lifestyle. That did not include private education for my children.
    It pretty much solely depends on where you live. There's areas in chicago here that are just as expensive as the upper east side in manhattan, but then there's places way cheaper.

They took the MSA/CMSA averages for a reason. If they took ONLY the city, the rankings would be much different I think.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 12

I beg to differ with this list.

I have been to NYC and just got back from Las Vegas and let me tell you Vegas is much worse.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,119
    Given: 588

Live in the middle of a large city. I don't buy "super whitening toothpaste" and I don't buy "aloe vera kleenex." The grocery store I shop at, which is near me, is THAT expensive. Everything costs more where I live and it's not super premium ******** like you mentioned.

Shop anywhere in the middle of a big ******* city and you'll see the prices of these good, NORMAL GOODS, cost way more than in the suburbs.

You're incredibly arrogant for thinking you actually know the normal prices of my ******* grocery store. Would you like me to take pictures of the prices of NORMAL **** in my grocery store or are you going to think you know what the **** you're talking about?
    And don't get him started on Brokeback Mountain either

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Easy Jerky...I bet the stuff in your store is the same price as the store on the south side of Chicago? Its an average...just b/c the crap in your predominately white Lincoln Park neighborhood cost that much doesn't mean it that price everywhere in Chicago.

Thumbs Up

the price index is way off here in houston, i dont know what expired bin at the dollar store they are pricing everything at but they are about 25% off pricing on everything.

They should do beer bottle prices to really show what is going on $4 a bottle at most places (not including the stadiums of course), or price how much it cost to take your girl out to eat which is $$$ here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

marothisu is a d0uche.

st8

overreact much?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    Easy Jerky...I bet the stuff in your store is the same price as the store on the south side of Chicago? Its an average...just b/c the crap in your predominately white Lincoln Park neighborhood cost that much doesn't mean it that price everywhere in Chicago.
    I don't live in Lincoln Park and I'm aware it's an average. This is the sort of work I've been doing for the last 7 months (i.e. Economic Indicators) and working with them.

My original point was, the suburbs cost, ON AVERAGE, less than the city. If you were to take the city, the averages and prices both would be...higher. I've been looking at this stuff for a long time, and you can look on the BLS website for that. Go and look at the CPI for various cities vs. the metro areas in total (make sure base years are the same):

http://www.bls.gov/cpi