Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I emailed Jamie Pollard this morning about the possibility of a Big 4 tournament possibly in Des Moines which could be sanctioned by the NCAA and include all 4 D-1 schools here in the state. He sent me a PDF on Basketball Scheduling 101 including things they are doing now for scheduling. He responded within 6 minutes and said that ISU is all for the tournament, but that Bowlsby had denied it and now that there is a new AD at Iowa it will be put up to that athletic director for consideration. I could not figure out how to cut and paste the PDF in, but to summarize here is what they say

Iowa State University is 100% supportive of a "Big Four" basketball event in Des Moines. We believe there is great value for all four institutions to showcase their basketball programs in our capital city. You have our pledge that Iowa State University will take the lead in trying to initiate an annual event in which Iowa State and Iowa would face Northern Iowa and Drake in the Wells Fargo Arena. The Cyclones would continue the annual home and home series with the Hawkeyes. The concept has the potential to be a "win/win" for all parties. Beyond taking center stage as the premiere men's basketball event in our state, playing both Drake and Northern Iowa in Des Moines would allow us to consider converting our home and home series with those schools to a similar series with an opponent from the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10 or SEC.

It also goes on to talk of the home and home with Minnesota we have and lining up Bradley University in the Mediacom Cyclone Capital Classic and another home and home with Bradley for 08 and 09. Then they talk of working with the Big XII to make a conference challenge like the Big 10/ACC.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Wink

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CY ST8T &#064; 07&#045;19&#045;06 12&#58;53 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> ...Iowa State University will take the lead in trying to initiate an annual event in which Iowa State and Iowa would face Northern Iowa and Drake in the Wells Fargo Arena. The Cyclones would continue the annual home and home series with the Hawkeyes.[/b][/quote] That would be a great arrangement. I don&#39;t know why Iowa would object if we kept the home-and-home series.

GO CYCLONES!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 144
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cygoat &#064; 07&#045;19&#045;06 1&#58;07 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> That would be a great arrangement. I don&#39;t know why Iowa would object if we kept the home-and-home series. [/b][/quote]

The only thing EIU would object to is they would think it would be too much of a home field advantage for ISU and Drake. Kinda like what we would think if it were at the US Cellular auditorium in Cedar Rapids. It would be kinda neat to see though. I wouldn&#39;t think there would be much trouble filling the auditorium that is for sure

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 365
    Wow, this is the first time I&#39;ve heard this discussed. A great idea, fun for the entire state and a showcase of the state&#39;s basketball talent&#33;

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    I don&#39;t understand how this will work. It&#39;s a nice idea, but won&#39;t UNI and Drake have to play each other, which would mean playing them three times in the season, inclucing their conference games. Couldn&#39;t that be against MVC rules or something?

And how do they decide who plays who each year?

Or is this not necessarily a "tournament", but more of four teams playing two games in front of all the fans? Where the winners don&#39;t play each other, but it&#39;s just a chance for fans to see all four teams?

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    This would definitely be a tournament rather than the way we currently do it which is everyone playing one game against the other at least. I don&#39;t believe that it would be against MVC rules if Pollard is going after this idea. Who cares if they play each other three times possibly vs. twice a year? It gives them an opportunity to win a tournament also each year with a Big Ten and Big XII school in it and increase state exposure to there school.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 23
    I think the only difference is that every game with Drake and UNI in it is played in Des Moines. Rather than making it all home and home&#39;s. Pollard describes it in the Scheduling 101 article on cyclones.com. It is in the "Pollard&#39;s views on ISU" section. So it would be more of a round robin tournement, with the big game played in Ames or IACity

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    There will likely be a Big 12/Pac 10 challenge in the next couple of years.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    The only issue with a true tournament in Des Moines with &#39;The Big 4&#39; is that the new rules of the NCAA prohibit two teams from the same conference playing in a tournament that is "NCAA sanctioned"...formerly named the &#39;exempt tournament&#39;. Also, teams can no longer go to the same event more than once every 4 years. So, this "tournament" could only occur once every 4 years (unless it wasn&#39;t an NCAA sanctioned tournament).

Another thing, if the MVC is having trouble scheduling teams to play against, why would UNI and Drake want to throw away their only guaranteed BCS games each year, along with their only &#39;tournament exemption game&#39;. What I mean is, this year UNI plays Iowa and ISU. They also play Washington in a tournament. A D1 team can only play one tournament a year. Why would UNI risk only playing 1-2 BCS teams a year, instead of getting all three like they can do now?

If it wasn&#39;t an &#39;NCAA sanctioned&#39; tournament, then it would just be two games, where one night ISU would play Drake and Iowa would play UNI, and repeated the following night with Iowa playing Drake and ISU playing UNI. This would be the only format, as UNI and Drake will not agree to playing each other a third time in one season, which could happen if DU/UNI each ended up in the same bracket side after the opening round games.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 579
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1
    I think people have misunderstood what Jamie Pollard is supporting. I don&#39;t think he wants a tournament where there is a "winner". My understanding JP&#39;s desire for a Big 4 event would look like the following:

Round 1

Iowa vs. UNI

ISU vs. Drake

Round 2

Iowa vs. Drake

ISU vs. UNI

From an NCAA standpoint they would set it up not as a tournament but 2 neutral court games for each team. UNI & Drake wouldn&#39;t play so it would avoid any conflict with 2 MVC teams playing each other outside of conference. I can&#39;t see where any team would have a home court advantage as they would probably allocate the tickets evenly. I would think the biggest question is there 2 games in each session or can more money be made having each game its own session. It would seem logistically the best idea would be to have 2 games in session, but could they charge &#036;40-&#036;50 for the ticket?

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    That would be really cool to have each fanbase get one quarter of the arena for all games. If you can convince Wells Fargo to let each schools ticket office to sell the tickets then. With only 4,000 tickets to each school it would be easy to sell out. Maybe have it the week before the Iowa ISU game just to spark up the excitement. It&#39;s sounding like UNI fans are not so happy about this as you could imagine. Maybe Pollard will have to try and offer a rotating venue for this between eastern Iowa and Central Iowa. If that could aleve the concerns then this would be a fun weekend.