Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Wishful thinking or Truth or combo platter

I hear lots of exciting things about Chizik and the way he and his staff are preparing the team. Things ranging from how they condition them... to how they will run offense and defensive schemes... to techniques being taught... to discipline... to winning attitude. This all sounds great!

Don't get me wrong. I believe that we have upgraded the coaching staff tremendously, but my question for those more in the know than me...

How much different is the conditioning and "teaching" than previous? Certainly, I expect a lot of improvement in terms of game day coaching, play calling, discipline, winning attitude, expectations, etc. Should I, however, temper my hopes/expectations of what one coaching staff can do in the area of conditioning and teaching technique? Can it be "that different?" For those that have watched practices, or better yet those that know players... is it that different????

Thoughts?

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Re: Wishful thinking or Truth or combo platter

I'm highly convinced that the conditioning and discipline are far different.

However, I think the bigger question is: How much effect will this have this coming season on the field? That, we'll just have to see.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

The one word that I have heard over and over in Gene's comments is "physical." That I think is going to be the biggest difference between what we have seen in the past, and what we will see in the future, a physical brand of football.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I for one can't wait for the spring game. I hope to get a really good idea there about dicipline and being physical.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

I'm sure that a player still had to work hard with the last coaching staff as well. I highly doubt guys were sitting on couches waiting for game day. I think the biggest difference (only basing this on things I have heard) will be that SPEED is stressed as much as STRENGTH. I might be wrong here but it seemed the last regime was big into strength when it came to conditioning. But strength means nothing if your guys have cement shoes on. Speed translates into momentum. Momentum means more physical play by bigger hits and pushes. So my hope is that we see a (perhaps leaner and lighter) fast and physical team.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I think that the new staff is an improvement in strength and conditioning as well as offensive schemes. I thought Skladany did a decent job with the DC job, so I'm not going to say Bolt will be better. The team will be more explosive and physical. Faster? Maybe, but I think another recruiting class will help in that area more than anything.

I don't know that Chizik will have the guns this year to make much of a gain record-wise. But it's going to happen...just a matter of when and not if.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

I don't see how people are saying we're going to be more physical. We're going to run a spread offense, not exactly the "poster child" scheme of a physical offense. I don't know how we could get more physical than McCarney, he was always trying to play smash-mouth football. I'm not saying we will not be a physical team, but I think expecting our guys to be noticeably more physical will set you up or a letdown.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneted View Post
    I don't see how people are saying we're going to be more physical. We're going to run a spread offense, not exactly the "poster child" scheme of a physical offense. I don't know how we could get more physical than McCarney, he was always trying to play smash-mouth football. I'm not saying we will not be a physical team, but I think expecting our guys to be noticeably more physical will set you up or a letdown.
    You can still play physical and spread the ball around... Its about the individual physical battles.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 5

i think not only will we be physically stronger, but mentally, i look back and see how many times we had good leads and just let them slip away, or we would be down by 14 and not give up, but not really try our best to come back.. i think this team will be a team that plays for 4 qtrs.. not just 3..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

i just don't want anymore MIZZOU melt downs...heartbreaker

Prospect
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Did you guys happen to hear Paul Clark on the M&M show the other afternoon? He's basically said that "football is football". Our present staff is going about things "about the same" as McCarney's staff. Mac stressed physical play and speed - so does Chiz. Gee, what a surprise. Doesn't EVERYBODY these days?

One of the main differences I think we're seeing (we'll see, won't we) is that Getty stressed more of a workout regime designed for stamina, endurance and speed; while Shep seems to be concentrating on the more traditional "football style" workout of bulking up, explosive bursts, etc.

Remember when Deace used to report about how the hawks and Clones would pass his "eye test" when he used to report after spring ball? Despite his Clone bias, he had to admit that the squawks just "looked bigger". That's because of the way that Doyle and Getty (and maybe Mac) structured their workouts. Cycloneted is on the money when he says that we'll all just have to wait a couple of years, let Chiz and his boys show us what they can do on the field, then judge the results.

Prospect
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The one thing that I believe will help is the new physical strength staff. I know people was saying that the old physical strength staff was so good, and they got awards and etc. But, we got pushed all over the field. Many said lets keep the old staff. I'm happy we cleaned house and got some new thoughts and methods in the strength training. I used to think that the strength coaches were the same for football as they were for other sports, especially basketball. But, I think this is not true. I sort of wonder about the basketball strength coaches as well. Seems we have had the same skinny kids for years. After watching the NCAA championship in basketball, I was really taken back. Most of those guys were men. Big 6' 9'' or taller guys that were huge and still could move and play. I know these are the best of the best but could we see some muscles on some of our people like those gentlemen???? I know we didn't have much from the prior years, but even the 4 returning players haven't changed much in 3 or 4 years.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Did you guys happen to hear Paul Clark on the M&M show the other afternoon? He's basically said that "football is football". Our present staff is going about things "about the same" as McCarney's staff. Mac stressed physical play and speed - so does Chiz. Gee, what a surprise. Doesn't EVERYBODY these days?
    If this thinking were true, ISU shouldn't be proud of the third highest paid staff in the Big 12. Coaching makes a difference from off-season, to spring practice, through the season, and all the way through the bowl game. The conditioning and strength training now being implemented will make a huge difference. Teaching fundamentals and technique makes a huge difference. And attitude is everything. Expecting to win every game, every series, every play.
    The other difference is in recruiting. That will take a little longer but will be an important piece of the puzzle.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneted View Post

When was the last time that you saw a physical team at Iowa State??? Yes there were physical players (Tim Dobbins comes to mind), but when did we ever have a unit that was physical enough to play against the Big 12.

The smashmouth style that you stated showed that we weren't physical. You have to prepare the players to play that style, and neither of our lines were quick enough to get into people. It doesn't matter how big you get your guys when the opposition is running around them.

The other thing that was a trademark of the previous coach was that, inevitably, fatigue set in. Then not only did we have opponents running around us, they ran over us.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

paul clark a football authority?????LOL!!!!!!!!!!

doc