Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why I'm still (trying) to be positive

I know all of us are disappointed by this season. I was one of the ones who scoffed at those "experts" back in October who had the audacity to pick us 7th or lower in the Big 12. However, I still see a glimmer of hope for this team. Here is the sugar to support the kool-aid

1. Diante Garrett- I am shocked at how well he has played the 2nd half of the Big 12 season. He has really turned it on, and I now think he will be a great Big 12 point guard in his senior season. Never thought I'd say that. Always loved the way he worked, but didn't think the tools were there.

2. Big Ham- Our most consistent player through the year, and has only gotten better. If his progress from year 1- year 2 continues into next year, look out.

3. Our progress throughout the year- Hear me out here. I'm talking rebounding, defense, and free throws. Those are things everyone complained about, and we have gotten much better at those as the year has gone along. Our shooting woes aren't necessarily things you can "fix". The other things were and there was major progress there throughout the year.

4. Gilstrap and Brakins- Anyone who says they don't want these guys next year at ISU have absolutely no clue about basketball. If either is, it is a great thing for ISU. If not, we have proven we can play with teams without them after their combined shooting percentages the last few games have been dismal.

5. Returning Depth- Even if we lose Brakins and Gilstrap, we have a lot of experience returning. Garett, Colvin, Scotty, Buckley, Boozer are all guards with experience. Ham, Dendy, JVB returning inside. Also a solid recruiting class with players that can contribute right away.

I know it can be easy to get down about this season. I known many will say there needs to be a change, but I still feel there will be bigtime strides that will be made with the quality players coming in.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 350

Re: Why I'm still (trying) to be positive

Quote Originally Posted by galactawitz View Post
    I know all of us are disappointed by this season. I was one of the ones who scoffed at those "experts" back in October who had the audacity to pick us 7th or lower in the Big 12. However, I still see a glimmer of hope for this team. Here is the sugar to support the kool-aid

1. Diante Garrett- I am shocked at how well he has played the 2nd half of the Big 12 season. He has really turned it on, and I now think he will be a great Big 12 point guard in his senior season. Never thought I'd say that. Always loved the way he worked, but didn't think the tools were there.

2. Big Ham- Our most consistent player through the year, and has only gotten better. If his progress from year 1- year 2 continues into next year, look out.

3. Our progress throughout the year- Hear me out here. I'm talking rebounding, defense, and free throws. Those are things everyone complained about, and we have gotten much better at those as the year has gone along. Our shooting woes aren't necessarily things you can "fix". The other things were and there was major progress there throughout the year.

4. Gilstrap and Brakins- Anyone who says they don't want these guys next year at ISU have absolutely no clue about basketball. If either is, it is a great thing for ISU. If not, we have proven we can play with teams without them after their combined shooting percentages the last few games have been dismal.

5. Returning Depth- Even if we lose Brakins and Gilstrap, we have a lot of experience returning. Garett, Colvin, Scotty, Buckley, Boozer are all guards with experience. Ham, Dendy, JVB returning inside. Also a solid recruiting class with players that can contribute right away.

I know it can be easy to get down about this season. I known many will say there needs to be a change, but I still feel there will be bigtime strides that will be made with the quality players coming in.

We are bringing in one new guard. I hope hes better than Dedric and Tinsley... we need that to have a chance.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Returning depth is a big concern of mine. Particularly in the front court. And that's assuming Dendy comes back, which is probably 50/50.

I agree, we did make progress throughout the year. The only problem is, so did everyone else. Agreed on Big Ham.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 104

5. Returning Depth- Even if we lose Brakins and Gilstrap, we have a lot of experience returning. Garett, Colvin, Scotty, Buckley, Boozer are all guards with experience. .
    .............from a team that finishes second to last in conf.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 357

The talent has always been on this team. That is why we are so disappointed. We should be 7-5 or 8-4 in the league right now. We always seemed like we missed easy free throws, threw the ball out of bounds at critical times, and look lost at end of games. I do not know why DG just does to take over the game and pass the ball to any of the other four players. He has the tools. He just needs to take control of the ball and not dump it to CB or MG. He needs to become the go to guy. He can shoot the short jumper if needed. He is tall. He has long arms. He just needs to become more gritty and step up. He shoots better than Colvin and Ham/Dendy can tap in the rebounds if he misses a layup. The key is DG to take over. As far as inside shooting goes, let Ham take more shots and MG and CB go for the rebounds. Why not?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 44

Agree on one and two. Diante's jump shot looks better and we've needed it. There's a fine line between winning and losing; we've ended up on the wrong side. As disappointed as I've been with the losing, I like the effort out our guys.

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Way, way, way too much koolaid. I think I'm watching different games then you. Is Hilton still at the corner of Lincoln Way/University? Maybe I'm DVR-ing the wrong channel too?