Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 11,382, Level: 32
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Des Moines, now Tucson
    Posts
    424
    Points
    11,382
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    snake oil salesman coaches

    a lot of people complain about Lane Kiffin being unethical and being pretty much a sleazebag. But now that I think about he isn't the first coach with that mentality.

    I remember someone telling me that Barry Switzer was the first of the "snakus oilus" species and he pioneered it back when he coached at OU. I looked him up and Switzer was also a young coach when he took over at OU (35 or 36).

    So for you guys who remember when he coached at OU, would you say that he kind of invented that style of coaching?



  2. #2
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: snake oil salesman coaches

    Sorry, I never considered Barry Switzer anything but one of the greatest football minds of his time and one of the great motivators of all time. Barry gets a bad rap because over the years he had some players who didn't represent the University of Oklahoma very well. Most teams have that type of players on their rosters, they just go unnoticed by the sports media because they aren't winning the way Oklahoma was when they had those problems. Nobody really cares when a player from Southwestern College of Meatcutters knocks his girlfriend silly. But if that same player was at Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame or Florida it would be front page headlines.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: snake oil salesman coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Sorry, I never considered Barry Switzer anything but one of the greatest football minds of his time and one of the great motivators of all time. Barry gets a bad rap because over the years he had some players who didn't represent the University of Oklahoma very well. Most teams have that type of players on their rosters, they just go unnoticed by the sports media because they aren't winning the way Oklahoma was when they had those problems. Nobody really cares when a player from Southwestern College of Meatcutters knocks his girlfriend silly. But if that same player was at Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame or Florida it would be front page headlines.
    Maybe the girlfriend's dad...


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 59,860, Level: 75
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyched's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    2,533
    Points
    59,860
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 61

    Re: snake oil salesman coaches

    Gene Chizik


    Quote Originally Posted by CloneinWDSM View Post
    LOL ya right. If we win 9 games, I'll wax my entire body.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 11,382, Level: 32
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Des Moines, now Tucson
    Posts
    424
    Points
    11,382
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: snake oil salesman coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Sorry, I never considered Barry Switzer anything but one of the greatest football minds of his time and one of the great motivators of all time. Barry gets a bad rap because over the years he had some players who didn't represent the University of Oklahoma very well. Most teams have that type of players on their rosters, they just go unnoticed by the sports media because they aren't winning the way Oklahoma was when they had those problems. Nobody really cares when a player from Southwestern College of Meatcutters knocks his girlfriend silly. But if that same player was at Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame or Florida it would be front page headlines.
    I would agree with that. The guy was an offensive genius. I'm surprised he never ran the wishbone with the cowboys (draft someone like Frazier and move Aikman to TE)


    Last edited by AntiSnob; 02-23-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM