Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

snake oil salesman coaches

a lot of people complain about Lane Kiffin being unethical and being pretty much a sleazebag. But now that I think about he isn't the first coach with that mentality.

I remember someone telling me that Barry Switzer was the first of the "snakus oilus" species and he pioneered it back when he coached at OU. I looked him up and Switzer was also a young coach when he took over at OU (35 or 36).

So for you guys who remember when he coached at OU, would you say that he kind of invented that style of coaching?

Thumbs Up

Re: snake oil salesman coaches

Sorry, I never considered Barry Switzer anything but one of the greatest football minds of his time and one of the great motivators of all time. Barry gets a bad rap because over the years he had some players who didn't represent the University of Oklahoma very well. Most teams have that type of players on their rosters, they just go unnoticed by the sports media because they aren't winning the way Oklahoma was when they had those problems. Nobody really cares when a player from Southwestern College of Meatcutters knocks his girlfriend silly. But if that same player was at Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame or Florida it would be front page headlines.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Sorry, I never considered Barry Switzer anything but one of the greatest football minds of his time and one of the great motivators of all time. Barry gets a bad rap because over the years he had some players who didn't represent the University of Oklahoma very well. Most teams have that type of players on their rosters, they just go unnoticed by the sports media because they aren't winning the way Oklahoma was when they had those problems. Nobody really cares when a player from Southwestern College of Meatcutters knocks his girlfriend silly. But if that same player was at Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame or Florida it would be front page headlines.
    Maybe the girlfriend's dad...

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 61

Gene Chizik

Quote Originally Posted by CloneinWDSM View Post
    LOL ya right. If we win 9 games, I'll wax my entire body.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    I would agree with that. The guy was an offensive genius. I'm surprised he never ran the wishbone with the cowboys (draft someone like Frazier and move Aikman to TE)

Last edited by AntiSnob; 02-23-2010 at 12:27 AM.