Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 310
  1. #1
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 269,490, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,961
    Points
    269,490
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

    Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    I don't know how many caught Miller & Deace's discussion this morning about the state of Iowa State's basketball program but I thought it was dead on.

    There was no straight up bashing the coach, no bashing the players...just an honest look at where our program is now. I thought it was a very good discussion about Iowa State basketball from 2 people who aren't connected to the program nor do they have any monetary or emotional attachment to the program.

    I'd urge everyone to give download the first hour of their podcast from 2/22/2010 and listen from the 10 minute mark to the 28 minute market.

    Des Moines' Sports Station - 1460 KXNO

    Thoughts from people who listened it?



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,765, Level: 95
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,475
    Points
    94,765
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    This is the exact same conversation they have had for the past month. Almost word for word. Their show over the last few weeks has consisted of an hour of bashing Iowa State basketball/Iowa State fans/Greg McDermott. Followed by 45 minutes of Big 10 expansion talk, followed by 15 minutes of any other sports news.

    From the little bit I've caught, I would exactly say that it wasn't bashing anyone. For example today, they were talking about how at least Alford's players played hard for him. From attending the games and watching them (something neither Steve nor Jon does), I wouldn't say our players aren't playing hard.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 37,719, Level: 59
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,640
    Points
    37,719
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 1

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    I agree, I liked the podcast from this morning. I like Miller & Deace.
    In fact, they have had several good podcasts in the last couple weeks regarding ISU bball.

    There isnt one shred of evidence in year 4 of the GMac era that suggests that he is going to be successful. Not a shred.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 85,332, Level: 90
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,524
    Points
    85,332
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 13

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    I've seen them playing hard a lot....just not smart.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 85,332, Level: 90
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,524
    Points
    85,332
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    I agree, I liked the podcast from this morning. I like Miller & Deace.
    In fact, they have had several good podcasts in the last couple weeks regarding ISU bball.

    There isnt one shred of evidence in year 4 of the GMac era that suggests that he is going to be successful. Not a shred.
    And I don't see anyone arguing that point anymore or disagreeing that this season was a failure.

    I think the point of discussion now should be where can we go from here and how do we.

    Problems 1 and 2:

    1. We've changed coaches too much over the last decade. We can't gamble on the next guy.
    2. We have no cash for a buyout nor the cash to afford what we need.



  6. #6
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    And I don't see anyone arguing that point anymore or disagreeing that this season was a failure.

    I think the point of discussion now should be where can we go from here and how do we.

    Problems 1 and 2:

    1. We've changed coaches too much over the last decade. We can't gamble on the next guy.
    2. We have no cash for a buyout nor the cash to afford what we need.
    Well said.



  7. #7
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    The only problem I have with holding their opinion with any regard is that they were stating unequivocally back in Nov, after our first 4 or 5 wins against St Mary's School of the Poor, that ISU would finish at worst 3rd in the Big XII, and were a near lock for the Sweet 16.

    So why should I think they have a better grip on the situation now?



  8. #8
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 269,490, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,961
    Points
    269,490
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    This is the exact same conversation they have had for the past month. Almost word for word. Their show over the last few weeks has consisted of an hour of bashing Iowa State basketball/Iowa State fans/Greg McDermott. Followed by 45 minutes of Big 10 expansion talk, followed by 15 minutes of any other sports news.
    I realize they have talked about this before but that 18 minute segment sums everything up.

    If you think they are just bashing Iowa State, you are too invested to see what is going on.



  9. #9
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 269,490, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,961
    Points
    269,490
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    The only problem I have with holding their opinion with any regard is that they were stating unequivocally back in Nov, after our first 4 or 5 wins against St Mary's School of the Poor, that ISU would finish at worst 3rd in the Big XII, and were a near lock for the Sweet 16.

    So why should I think they have a better grip on the situation now?
    Almost everyone had the same opinion and thoughts.

    Now we have 90% of a season to re-evaulate those thoughts.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,765, Level: 95
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,475
    Points
    94,765
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I realize they have talked about this before but that 18 minute segment sums everything up.

    If you think they are just bashing Iowa State, you are too invested to see what is going on.

    They can have their opinions. But they admit they don't watch games or go to games.

    And I lost any respect I had for those two idiots when they started bashing me for attending games.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 50,559, Level: 69
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,828
    Points
    50,559
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    This is the exact same conversation they have had for the past month. Almost word for word. Their show over the last few weeks has consisted of an hour of bashing Iowa State basketball/Iowa State fans/Greg McDermott. Followed by 45 minutes of Big 10 expansion talk, followed by 15 minutes of any other sports news.

    I would have to agree with this statement. I only catch a little bit on my five minute drive to work, and last week got old. All I heard was them debating the big 10/pac 10 expansion. This would be ok if it wasn't all conjecture. They sit there and put out ideas of how they would like to see it, and honestly, just like with the BCS...NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN ANY TIME SOON!!!!!

    Also, whats the point of debating it here when none of the instate teams are even in the conversation. I get that if a big school on this side of Michigan were to join, then Iowa would be hampered because they wouldn't be the big dog in the area any more, but really... Do we need 5 days of discussion to figure this out.

    Sorry that has been brewing in me for a while.



  12. #12
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Almost everyone had the same opinion and thoughts.

    Now we have 90% of a season to re-evaulate those thoughts.
    Kind of my point. Very reactionary, or even worse, very bandwagon.

    If they have any insight or perspective - then they should've realized back then that we played NOBODY and that such proclamations were very, very premature. I have the podcast from that show - and was almost mad listening to it. They were stirring the Kool-Aid for everyone else and passing it out for free.

    As for now, yes - we have the season to look back on. But I go back the "bandwagon" statement earlier. They are entitlted to their opinion. But it seems to me that theirs tracks surprising well with the general feel out there. Not much departs. So is it theirs? Or are the regurgitating the majorities? I probably share much of it (can't hear the podcast here at work). I'm just saying, keep in mind who's saying it and what they've said in the past.


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-22-2010 at 10:29 AM.

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,765, Level: 95
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,475
    Points
    94,765
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    I would have to agree with this statement. I only catch a little bit on my five minute drive to work, and last week got old. All I heard was them debating the big 10/pac 10 expansion. This would be ok if it wasn't all conjecture. They sit there and put out ideas of how they would like to see it, and honestly, just like with the BCS...NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN ANY TIME SOON!!!!!

    Also, whats the point of debating it here when none of the instate teams are even in the conversation. I get that if a big school on this side of Michigan were to join, then Iowa would be hampered because they wouldn't be the big dog in the area any more, but really... Do we need 5 days of discussion to figure this out.

    Sorry that has been brewing in me for a while.
    I don't listen much, but I turn it on in the bathroom right before I take my shower each morning just to see what they are talking about. For weeks it has been the stupid expansion and Iowa State basketball. Today I caught a bit of the expansion talk and they were talking about what Alverez said. Steve chimed in that he had met Alvarez in a private setting many times. Jon said he had asked him about his time as an assistant at Iowa and Barry didn't really like that question. Well, no crap Jon. Barry probably wanted to talk WI.

    I've also decided what really bothers me about those two. They act like they are so much better than talking sports. They act like they are above it all. They don't have time to watch any games or attend any events. Which is fine, but maybe you shouldn't be a freaking sports radio host. And I should clue in Steve and Jon.....you can have family time and go to sporting events at the same time. My favorite memories with my Dad growing up was going to Iowa State games with him. And we lived 2.5 hours away from Ames.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 115,437, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,738
    Points
    115,437
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 7

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    And I don't see anyone arguing that point anymore or disagreeing that this season was a failure.

    I think the point of discussion now should be where can we go from here and how do we.

    Problems 1 and 2:

    1. We've changed coaches too much over the last decade. We can't gamble on the next guy.
    2. We have no cash for a buyout nor the cash to afford what we need.
    This is a total slam dunk. We have backed ourselves into a corner on this one and we don't have a way out. Miller and Deace are right, we have been awful for 4 years and there is not a shred of evidence that we are going to be able to change that in the next four. Obviously, allowing this to go on for 6, 7, or 8 years is just going to kill the program. But what do we do?

    We have this insane contract that will be very expensive to buy out. And after we do that, we will have a tough time finding a new coach because we have had a lot of coaching turnover in the last decade. And the stakes are too high at this point to miss on another coach. We need to go big. So that means big money and a long term deal to bring in someone who is proven. That is money we just don't have.

    I honestly don't see a way out of this mess short of a huge booster coming in and paying our way out of this mess, and with the economy as it is that probably isn't going to happen. I think we are going to be feeling pain from this for years to come, whether we change coaches or not. I think we are in the middle of what will be remembered as a dark age for Cyclone hoops.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 152,125, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,297
    Points
    152,125
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Miller & Deace: An Honest Look at ISU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    This is a total slam dunk. We have backed ourselves into a corner on this one and we don't have a way out. Miller and Deace are right, we have been awful for 4 years and there is not a shred of evidence that we are going to be able to change that in the next four. Obviously, allowing this to go on for 6, 7, or 8 years is just going to kill the program. But what do we do?

    We have this insane contract that will be very expensive to buy out. And after we do that, we will have a tough time finding a new coach because we have had a lot of coaching turnover in the last decade. And the stakes are too high at this point to miss on another coach. We need to go big. So that means big money and a long term deal to bring in someone who is proven. That is money we just don't have.

    I honestly don't see a way out of this mess short of a huge booster coming in and paying our way out of this mess, and with the economy as it is that probably isn't going to happen. I think we are going to be feeling pain from this for years to come, whether we change coaches or not. I think we are in the middle of what will be remembered as a dark age for Cyclone hoops.
    Everything in this post is correct. I am .


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM