Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cyclone42

McDermott, Jim Walden, and Theresa Becker

What is the difference between McDermott and those latter two coaches? Many here are excusing McDermott's repeated losing seasons as a case of "bad luck". But can't Jim Walden and Theresa Becker also claim that? And yet both were fired.

Jim Walden had an entire season go bad because two high school quarterback recruits backed out at the last minute. He was forced to take a running back who had played QB in high school and make him play quarterback again, when the first-string QB went out with a serious concussion (Bobby Utter, I believe). Then there is the case of ISU not doing anything at all to help him get a talented wide receiver into ISU. (I think he would have been a 4-star by today's rating standards)

Theresa Becker took over a WBB program in such a shambles, that it made what McDermott took over look like a Duke national championship team by comparison. There were so few players on scholarship, she had to ask for tryouts among the ISU student body so she could hold scrimmages. It is almost impossible to turn a situation like that around quickly, yet she was fired after only 3 years. She obviously wasn't given a chance to succeed.

Of course, if Walden hadn't been fired, we wouldn't have gotten McCarney, who did improve the football program long-term. And if Becker hadn't been fired, we would not have gotten Bill Fennelly, who has taken WBB to heights undreamed of before he was hired.

First, there is the issue of fairness. Why retain McDermott when we have fired previous coaches who had similar situations? Second, by keeping McDermott we may be preventing the next "Fennelly" or "McCarney" from being hired for ISU MBB.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

Re: McDermott, Jim Walden, and Theresa Becker

JP has a lot of explaining to do about what has happened to our basketball program under his watch, inheriting a program with some pretty good success and turning it into what we now have.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Theresa Beccker does deserve some appreciation. She took over a program that was a disaster. I remember a women's game where there were more employees working Hilton than fans in the crowd. She was a very good person as well.

With all that said, BF deserves some major props. It may be the best turnarounds in collegiate athletics.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    Theresa Beccker does deserve some appreciation. She took over a program that was a disaster. I remember a women's game where there were more employees working Hilton than fans in the crowd. She was a very good person as well.

With all that said, BF deserves some major props. It may be the best turnarounds in collegiate athletics.
    Didn't she also recruit two of the players who jerseys are in the rafters a Hilton?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post

It's true that you don't have the immediate success Fennelly had without having the players to do it, and Becker left him some very good players. Tara Gunderson, Julie Hand, Jayme Olsen, and Janel Grimm were all brought in by Becker.

Last edited by mred; 02-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Royalclone View Post
    Didn't she also recruit two of the players who jerseys are in the rafters a Hilton?
    Tonya Burns ('84), Jayme Olsen ('97), Megan Taylor ('01), and Angie Welle ('02) are the only retired jerseys, right? Olsen was Becker's recruit.

Starter
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 12

Did anyone else see the stat comparing the 4 years of when Johnny Orr started along with Macs? The announcers pretty much said that look at what Johnny did and what he did for the program. Interesting......

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    JP has a lot of explaining to do about what has happened to our basketball program under his watch, inheriting a program with some pretty good success and turning it into what we now have.
    This is a good and fair question. Can we assume Geoffrey has or will ask Pollard the same one?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    This is a good and fair question. Can we assume Geoffrey has or will ask Pollard the same one?
    Honestly I have changed my tune in the past couple months. I think Pollard is looking this over. I think he is quietly on the phone and is getting a feel for what is out there for money and what could be out there for coaches. I still do not think anything would happen but I would bet he has been or will be checking into funding for a buyout. It would be hard for him to look very hard because it cannot get out that he was doing it.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Honestly I have changed my tune in the past couple months. I think Pollard is looking this over. I think he is quietly on the phone and is getting a feel for what is out there for money and what could be out there for coaches. I still do not think anything would happen but I would bet he has been or will be checking into funding for a buyout. It would be hard for him to look very hard because it cannot get out that he was doing it.
    Isn't that what the 'Each One Bring One' campaign is for?

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 22

There's a lot of things that JP needs to do right. His contract will expire in 2014 and I think usually universities start offering contract / give hints about two years prior to the expiration as a courtesy "we don't want you here, so feel free to start looking out"

1. Football: Yes, CPR was great in his first season and I hope that he can build his success. But if not (and I hope it doesn't happen):
    2. MBB: there are still many pros and cons with firing WM. There are still questions on the rationale behind giving McD an automatic one year extension. If let's say, McD gets another seasons: he'll have to be successful or JP will follow him soon. If McD gets his pink slip after this season, his new hire will have be successful immediately if JP wants to keep his job, otherwise, he might get BVD's type deal (one year roll-over contract instead of long term contract)
    3. WR: If PSU wins national championship, JP could be in trouble. Not as big as football and MBB but if the these 3 things happen at the same time, JP will really be in trouble.

He caught a mulligan after Chizik's debacle. But next season will be crucial for his career.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    What is the difference between McDermott and those latter two coaches? Many here are excusing McDermott's repeated losing seasons as a case of "bad luck". But can't Jim Walden and Theresa Becker also claim that? And yet both were fired.

Jim Walden had an entire season go bad because two high school quarterback recruits backed out at the last minute. He was forced to take a running back who had played QB in high school and make him play quarterback again, when the first-string QB went out with a serious concussion (Bobby Utter, I believe). Then there is the case of ISU not doing anything at all to help him get a talented wide receiver into ISU. (I think he would have been a 4-star by today's rating standards)

Theresa Becker took over a WBB program in such a shambles, that it made what McDermott took over look like a Duke national championship team by comparison. There were so few players on scholarship, she had to ask for tryouts among the ISU student body so she could hold scrimmages. It is almost impossible to turn a situation like that around quickly, yet she was fired after only 3 years. She obviously wasn't given a chance to succeed.

Of course, if Walden hadn't been fired, we wouldn't have gotten McCarney, who did improve the football program long-term. And if Becker hadn't been fired, we would not have gotten Bill Fennelly, who has taken WBB to heights undreamed of before he was hired.

First, there is the issue of fairness. Why retain McDermott when we have fired previous coaches who had similar situations? Second, by keeping McDermott we may be preventing the next "Fennelly" or "McCarney" from being hired for ISU MBB.
    I agree with most of what you've said except that McCarney and Fennelly are not comparable. BF's program is nationally recognized and has played in many meaninful post season games, while as great as a guy as McCarney was he never got the football program to anywhere near that status.

Also by firing McD we could get the next Wayne Morgan or Chizik, heck even just another McD. So it could backfire.

Rookie
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 51

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    I agree with most of what you've said except that McCarney and Fennelly are not comparable. BF's program is nationally recognized and has played in many meaninful post season games, while as great as a guy as McCarney was he never got the football program to anywhere near that status.
    Holy missing the point, Batman! He wasn't saying Dan was as good as Bill, nor was he even attempting to compare the two. He was saying getting rid of Walden at least got us Dan, who was much better than what we had.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by dcxme1183 View Post
    Holy missing the point, Batman! He wasn't saying Dan was as good as Bill, nor was he even attempting to compare the two. He was saying getting rid of Walden at least got us Dan, who was much better than what we had.
    Pot...meet....kettle....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 112

You know waiting more than four years for your bball team to be good is a bit much. Five players are on the court. You need two really good players and thee decent players to field a team. You work in a great conference. You work in a great venue. You should make it work better than working it only enough to beat Nebraska and Colorado. You cannot beat 7-5 teams (they get their seventh win because they play us) at home because you do not know hopw to end a game except by losing. Sad.

Last edited by Wesley; 02-21-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.