Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Morning Outlook

Do most of you think the MBB players actually wake up in the morning and say, "Boy, let's lose this one today".

Everyone here has the "answers" but really, so far from the truth. About 99.9% of us don't have a clue because of two reasons: we weren't student-athletes (intramurals and watching ESPN 24/7 don't count) or we haven't coached Division One athletics in one of the best conferences.

Complain all you want if you felt there was lack of effort. I don't see lack of effort; instead, I see crappy luck (even Bill Shelf said thanks but no thanks), some forced chemistry/focus and a bunch of crying fans who think Iowa State has history as this great bb powerhouse. Iowa State has been good and at times, almost great; however, top drinking the Orr, Eustachy and Morgan koolaid. Should we expect top half conference performance every season, yes but it doesn't always happen.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 175

Re: The Morning Outlook

No some prob think the first thing they think is I need to play good so I can transfer out of here.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

That's part of the problem...it is too easy for today's s/a and coaches to just move on.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

This is the exact same thread as "apathy"

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

But the fans were too Apathetic to read that one and reply, so they started a new one

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

I don't no why I even try, ohh bother ;) apathay is setting in for me, sigh

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCYzd View Post
    Do most of you think the MBB players actually wake up in the morning and say, "Boy, let's lose this one today".
    Absolutely not. But what does that have to do with anything?

Everyone here has the "answers" but really, so far from the truth. About 99.9% of us don't have a clue because of two reasons: we weren't student-athletes (intramurals and watching ESPN 24/7 don't count) or we haven't coached Division One athletics in one of the best conferences.

Complain all you want if you felt there was lack of effort. I don't see lack of effort; instead, I see crappy luck (even Bill Shelf said thanks but no thanks), some forced chemistry/focus and a bunch of crying fans who think Iowa State has history as this great bb powerhouse. Iowa State has been good and at times, almost great; however, top drinking the Orr, Eustachy and Morgan koolaid. Should we expect top half conference performance every season, yes but it doesn't always happen.
    Crappy luck over and over and over and over and over and over again isn't just bad luck - it's called a trend.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Missing the point about waking up...lots on here seem to think the players just don't care. It is so easy to criticize from the balcony or to be an armchair quarterback. Everyone has the answers but nearly nada competed at the college level. It's just hiliarious to actually see how much people "support" the team when things don't go well; multiple mental breakdowns. It's about big picture perspective.

Walk On
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

We lose and lose and lose and lose and lose and it's just bad luck. If we won and won and won and won and won I bet people wouldn't say, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys. This is just all good luck." There's a reason so many "bad" things have happened since McD arrived. Is everyone really willing to believe 4 years of bad things is simply bad luck? What would it take to prove otherwise? Ten years? McD isn't winning. He's a good guy, and even an okay coach, but okay coach isn't good enough and that's without the, uh, ahem, talent he's brought in.

I live in New York now, so obviously I can't attend the games, but I do watch every game on ESPN360 by stealing internet from my neighbors, so I guess if you want you can use the "if you don't think we're awesome you suck as a fan" excuse if you'd like but it isn't gonna fly with me--we've been bad for four years, and there has been one consistency over those four years--the head coach.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
    We lose and lose and lose and lose and lose and it's just bad luck. If we won and won and won and won and won I bet people wouldn't say, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys. This is just all good luck." There's a reason so many "bad" things have happened since McD arrived. Is everyone really willing to believe 4 years of bad things is simply bad luck? What would it take to prove otherwise? Ten years? McD isn't winning. He's a good guy, and even an okay coach, but okay coach isn't good enough and that's without the, uh, ahem, talent he's brought in.

I live in New York now, so obviously I can't attend the games, but I do watch every game on ESPN360 by stealing internet from my neighbors, so I guess if you want you can use the "if you don't think we're awesome you suck as a fan" excuse if you'd like but it isn't gonna fly with me--we've been bad for four years, and there has been one consistency over those four years--the head coach.
    We've been bad for five years and the year before that we were a middle of the pack team. I just don't see this being an easy fix. Fire Mac and there will be more player turnover. It could be another five years before we make the tourney. Are you willing to fork out MORE money for another 3, 4, or 5 years of losing basketball??

I'm not happy with what Mac has done. But he wasn't handed the keys to a Lexus. People who think we are in worse shape now than when Mac took over are delusional.

He won't get fired this year, so why b**** about it? Watch the olympics support this team and prepare for spring football. Next year we will see what Mac can do with Ejim and Phillips. I fully believe that next year will be make or break for Mac in Pollards eyes. His silence to this point would suggest that in my opinion.

Go to Hilton, have a Clone Cone and support our program. I don't care if you support the coach just support the program. Allowing Hilton to be as empty as Carver would only add to the disappointment of this season.

"I loved it dearly for the experiences, for the people. I've never seen people embrace you with love as much as they did when I was in college," he said. "They just opened up their arms. I'm proud to be a Cyclone. They gave me a chance when nobody else would." -Ellis Hobbs III

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 6

Missing the point about waking up...lots on here seem to think the players just don't care. It is so easy to criticize from the balcony or to be an armchair quarterback. Everyone has the answers but nearly nada competed at the college level. It's just hiliarious to actually see how much people "support" the team when things don't go well; multiple mental breakdowns. It's about big picture perspective.
    Why don't you enlighten us all as to what the "big picture" perspective is then? Here are some facts to get you started.

-5th losing conference season in a row
    - Player transfers every single year under GMac
    - All-American candidate leaves the program and becomes a top player at another school
    - Team still cannot win in conference despite presence of 2 supposedly NBA caliber players at start of season
    - Conference coaches pick one player as a pre-season all-conference, and another as newcomer of the year, yet pick the team to finish 8th. WTF? Turns out that was optimistic.
    - A Freshman player has the nerve to actually walk out on the coach and team, then is brought back early from suspension by the coach.At what other school would that even happen?
    - Another first-year player is so pleased with playing here that he goes home un-announced once during season, then stays too long and does not communicate during another trip home for a family funeral
    - A starter who had undying support from the coaching staff, university, fans, and teammates when he had problems with the NCAA decides to leave at the start of conference season for a professional career that supposedly could not wait until the end of the season. Seems that was a lie.
    - A redshirt player is booted off the team mid-season
    - Barely enough players to finish out the season
    - Attendance is down significantly
    - Recruiting class for next year is not close to top-notch. Some good prospects, but probably not even in the top 9 of classes in the Big 12.
    - More players have shown regression this year than have shown progression
    - Team usually appears to not have a clue what they are doing on offense or defense.
    - Current coach has never defeated a team at ISU that he was not supposed to defeat
    - No wins against ranked teams in the last 4 years
    - No post-season in 4 years......can't even make the CBI, let alone the NIT or NCAA
    - AD gave a lousy contract to head coach, that basically financially paralyzes the AD from removing coach
    - Despite no success and falling attendance and interest from fan base, head coach will get a $50,000 raise for next year.
    - Head coach and performance of team is splitting what was a very loyal fan base

So exactly what is your big picture that you think some of us are missing?

Last edited by Dryburn; 02-20-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    Why don't you enlighten us all as to what the "big picture" perspective is then? Here are some facts to get you started.

- All-American candidate leaves the program and becomes a top player at another school
    - Team still cannot win in conference despite presence of 2 supposedly NBA caliber players at start of season
    - Conference coaches pick one player as a pre-season all-conference, and another as newcomer of the year, yet pick the team to finish 8th. WTF? Turns out that was optimistic.
    - A Freshman player has the nerve to actually walk out on the coach and team, then is brought back early from suspension by the coach.At what other school would that even happen?
    - Another first-year player is so pleased with playing here that he goes home un-announced once during season, then stays too long and does not communicate during another trip home for a family funeral
    - A starter who had undying support from the coaching staff, university, fans, and teammates when he had problems with the NCAA decides to leave at the start of conference season for a professional career that supposedly could not wait until the end of the season. Seems that was a lie.
    - Recruiting class for next year is not close to top-notch. Some good prospects, but probably not even in the top 9 of classes in the Big 12.
    - Team usually appears to not have a clue what they are doing on offense or defense.
    - Current coach has never defeated a team at ISU that he was not supposed to defeat
    - No post-season in 4 years......can't even make the CBI, let alone the NIT or NCAA
    - AD gave a lousy contract to head coach, that basically financially paralyzes the AD from removing coach
    - Despite no success and falling attendance and interest from fan base, head coach will get a $50,000 raise for next year.
    - Head coach and performance of team is splitting what was a very loyal fan base

I couldn't agree more! I'll never understand why Pollard is giving Mc Dermott so much time/money. McDermott is simply not the right fit, to put it lightly. All these facts state the truth!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35

Looks like a systemic problem.
    -lack of communication with players on expectations
    -lack of clear game plan
    -weakness of leadership at point guard position
    -winning leads to winning attitude, we don't have that
    -fundamental weakness in blocking out, going strong and moving the ball.
    It appears the effort is there, but in crunch times, the players don't seem confident in how to finish the game off.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,107
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 110

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post

I have stayed away from most of these complaining posts, because they are mostly endless whining, and I hate whining, This hits the nail on the head, ISU stink at MBB and it doesn't look to be improving this year or next. I am sick of all the excuses for why the Cyclones are no good. Four years is a long time to at least show some life in the program. All I see is more player leaving and more loosing..

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Perspective equals most of the people on the blog spend more time worrying and lamenting on blogs about college athletics than issues which impact their daily lives. I don't blog or check these sites frequently and there is definitely a reason.

BTW, I would like to know who considered Wes Johnson an All-American when he was at ISU. Now of course it is easy to say "how did we let that one get away". He was a solid, consistent player for ISU but didn't show AA worthiness. Those crying this are the same ones who blasted him for leaving...that's perspective.