Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

The Team By Player

Since I have this kind of time on a Friday night I decided to do this. This is a little breakdown of the players still remaining active on the team with both strengths and weaknesses. My only agenda here is to show that the team as a whole has not succeeded. Not just one person or a few.

Diante Garrett

Obviously he has some trouble offensively. Sometime he struggles to finish. He doesn't always take the open shot. Sometime he fails to see the floor all that well. Those have all been noted. He is shooting the ball better this year and his finishing has improved. On defense he does very well effort wise. He lacks the quickness sometimes to stop dribble penetration, however that is where there needs to be help. He get's his hands on a lot of balls, however he often doesn't come up with them. From what I have seen leadership wise, he is the only person that demonstrates anything on the floor. That is not a good thing.

Scott Christopherson

I am amazed he has played the last month without missing a game. Absolutely amazed. I have a hard time knocking him in that time. the kid has mono and he is playing. That is not a good sign for our guard play but it speaks volumes of his dedication. When healthy he shoots it very well and is a decent penetrator. At times he makes good passes. His ball handling leaves a little to be desired. I could see this kid being pretty darn good in the future as soon as he is healthy and learns the speed of the game.

Chris Colvin

When I think of him I think of a spark plug. The kid can go and he plays with an edge. He seems to be a pretty tough kid with a little bit of an attitude. We could use a little more of his attitude. His jump shot has really struggled this year but in the open floor he is without a doubt the best at getting the ball to someone who scores. He does make mistakes, however his mistakes are usually aggressive and he is a freshman. I really think his upside is huge.

Buckley

We don't see him much. I really wish we did. He seems to shoot it very well and he is a hustler. Offensively he seems like he could be pretty good in the future. Unfortunately it is hard to tell when he only plays 8 minutes a game.

Gilstrap

He can be unstoppable offensively and he has a way of finding rebounds. He is a good shooter and an electric finisher. Where he sometimes fails is in ball handling and passing. He has double the turnovers relative to assists. I know a 3 man isn't supposed to be an assist guy, but his turnovers are excessive. Defensively he is athletic enough to make some great plays he and there but he tends to sometimes get lazy off the ball and even on the ball sometimes. He gets a sufficient amount of rebounds on both ends, I would just like to see his guy not get so many rebounds. Again, if he works on his ball handling and gets through his first season in the Big 12 i think he could be better next year.

Dendy

Likely the most athletic guy on our team. Again he has great ability to erase plays. He can block shots and he can get loose balls. He is not a good shooter, especially free throws. Offensively he is incredibly limited but he could become a guy that has such an effect on defense that he makes up for it

Brackins

Talent. He has it. In bunches. Sometimes I watch him and think he is capable of being a lottery pick. He has a good jumper. He could be a guy that just takes over games. Ofensively, sometimes he forces it. Instead of being aggressive and going to the hope he will pull up. It really seems to me this year he has become a jump shooter. I feel he would fair better if he did incorporate some more post activity. Defensively, I think he struggle. It was poitned out earlier that maybe that is due to him worrying about foul trouble. Maybe, but he averages under 2. You worry about foul trouble on a foul by foul basis, not on the full scope of a game. He gets a reasonable amount of rebounds but this year sometimes it seems that he does not put the effort in on the defensive to try and dominate the boards. The one thing that bothers me about him is in close games I have yet to see him go get the win for us. I know that is a lot to throw on one person but he has said he needs to be a leader. That is what great players and leaders do. They go get the game.

Ham Slamwich

I love this guy. He works his *** off. He gets better all the time. he makes very few mistakes. Where he struggles is finishing. That will be cured in time. I really see bright things for this kid. I could see him becoming a 18-10 guy in the next two years.

Alex Dorr

I put him in because I have a lot of respect for walk ons. I know he doesn't play very much but when he does I am pretty impressed. He goes hard. He goes to the boards. He could become a decent role player by the time he is done here.

When I talked about the future that is assuming they will be back. I know it is wrong to think they all will be but I think at most we lose two. Honestly I think we lose one and it is Gilstrap.

I know I will get ripped on certain points but these are just what I have observed and I haven't seen every game. I certainly don't watch tape to dissect each player so I am sure there are some oversights.

It's all snark from here on out

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Re: The Team By Player

DG seems to have the quickness to get to the rim whenever he wants to, to me that means he should have the quickness to stop an opponent from doing the same.

Buckley has done some nice things when in the games, the game seems to be a step faster than he is though, I suspect this is why he has not seen the minutes

I like Ham's development - probably the best positive story of the year

Dendy - has the physical tools to be a player at this level, could benefit greatly from Mac's big man teaching much like Ham has if he wants to learn, if I am Dendy - I am doing whatever the Mac man says cause he knows how to coach big men

Colvin - he looks like a PG, the last guy we had that looked like a ball distributing PG was Stinson, I like his potential

Individually, we have some good players that would likely play anywhere - as a team, they have struggled to put it all together.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

DG = Pedro Cerrano in Major League II

Tanaka: You have no... you have no...
    [looks in translation book]
    Tanaka: marbles! You have no marbles!
    Cerrano: Marbles? Huevos?

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would say one of Gilstraps' weaknesses is his ability to finish, definitely would not call him an "electric finisher", unless by that you mean some of his dunks.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    I would say one of Gilstraps' weaknesses is his ability to finish, definitely would not call him an "electric finisher", unless by that you mean some of his dunks.
    That is what I meant. I also forgot to put passing as a weakness for him. I still cannot believe he pulled up on a 4 on 1

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    That is what I meant. I also forgot to put passing as a weakness for him. I still cannot believe he pulled up on a 4 on 1
    Ok, I can agree with that. One of the problems I have with G-Strap is that when he's driving and he gets close to the hoop, he just flips the ball up and hopes that it goes in. I wish he'd put a little more touch on the ball and give himself a better chance at scoring the basket.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    Ok, I can agree with that. One of the problems I have with G-Strap is that when he's driving and he gets close to the hoop, he just flips the ball up and hopes that it goes in. I wish he'd put a little more touch on the ball and give himself a better chance at scoring the basket.
    I think that is something that he will figure out in the offseason when he goes over his play. I think he is so used it being that easy that he sometimes is nonchalant. I really hope he comes back because I think there are a few small things like that that if fixed could make him better.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 762
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 25

I don't think it is any secret Gilstrap has been playing hurt for most of the season, thing is whatever exactly is wrong with him seems to be getting worse. The guy is a warrior. The only guy on the team that dosen't make me wanna vomit.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyededric View Post
    I don't think it is any secret Gilstrap has been playing hurt for most of the season, thing is whatever exactly is wrong with him seems to be getting worse. The guy is a warrior. The only guy on the team that dosen't make me wanna vomit.
    As it has been said, Ham, Booz, and Scotty all seem to be doing the best with what they got. If G-Strap misses a chip in or gets hacked with no call he is the last one down the floor, I guess this could be due to being a little dinged up. To me DG just looks uncomfortable at the point, but if you watch he gives great effort without the basketball and on defense. Our offense seems to click (relatively speaking) with Buck or Colvin at the point.

In my opinion Colvin is the only kid we have with what I like to call the "Tinsley Mentality." I don't think Jamaal was rattled once in his career and he sure didn't back down from anyone either. If DG, Craig, and Strap had this kind of attitude I think we would be in a lot better shape.

Now, when Dendy heads to the free throw line, thats when I have to fight back the vomit.

"I loved it dearly for the experiences, for the people. I've never seen people embrace you with love as much as they did when I was in college," he said. "They just opened up their arms. I'm proud to be a Cyclone. They gave me a chance when nobody else would." -Ellis Hobbs III