Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 99
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 164,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,963
    Points
    164,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 48

    My observation about the players

    I'm very happy GMac showed some life and got T'd up, but I noticed something after that. Usually, when you are playing at home and your coach is getting ****** and gets T'd up, the crowd and the players typically will come unglued as well. Well, according to my two eyes, that was the point where the team fell down and couldn't get back up. My point here is, I wonder if these kids are really that passive and don't react to uprising well? I'm really getting the feeling that these kids are just too damn emotional to play like we need them. From the different things we've all heard coming from the locker room throughout the season, I'm starting to really think that this isn't at all a Mac problem, rather a bunch of soft kids.

    DISCLAIMER: I know there are a few tough kids on the team(Ham, SC, Booz). This is directed at the majority.

    I know toughness has been talked about quite a bit, but last night really put it into perspective, for me anyway.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 265,595, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,039
    Points
    265,595
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 134

    Re: My observation about the players

    I thought that T would be the point where we really put the game away, especially after OSU missed both of the free throws on the T. Boy was I wrong.

    The crowd, for as small as it was, was absolutely loud after the T, and is probably what lead to the two missed free throws. Than, after that, the crowd still quite loud, ISU has one of the worst defensive breakdowns of the game, and maybe all season, on the inbound pass from OSU.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 856,902, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,049
    Points
    856,902
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,289
    Given: 1,120

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    I'm very happy GMac showed some life and got T'd up, but I noticed something after that. Usually, when you are playing at home and your coach is getting ****** and gets T'd up, the crowd and the players typically will come unglued as well. Well, according to my two eyes, that was the point where the team fell down and couldn't get back up. My point here is, I wonder if these kids are really that passive and don't react to uprising well? I'm really getting the feeling that these kids are just too damn emotional to play like we need them. From the different things we've all heard coming from the locker room throughout the season, I'm starting to really think that this isn't at all a Mac problem, rather a bunch of soft kids.

    DISCLAIMER: I know there are a few tough kids on the team(Ham, SC, Booz). This is directed at the majority.

    I know toughness has been talked about quite a bit, but last night really put it into perspective, for me anyway.

    That's why this team is so tough to figure out. There doesn't seem to be anything that actually brings that out of them.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 97,388, Level: 97
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,662
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,700
    Points
    97,388
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 14

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    I'm very happy GMac showed some life and got T'd up, but I noticed something after that. Usually, when you are playing at home and your coach is getting ****** and gets T'd up, the crowd and the players typically will come unglued as well. Well, according to my two eyes, that was the point where the team fell down and couldn't get back up. My point here is, I wonder if these kids are really that passive and don't react to uprising well? I'm really getting the feeling that these kids are just too damn emotional to play like we need them. From the different things we've all heard coming from the locker room throughout the season, I'm starting to really think that this isn't at all a Mac problem, rather a bunch of soft kids.

    DISCLAIMER: I know there are a few tough kids on the team(Ham, SC, Booz). This is directed at the majority.

    I know toughness has been talked about quite a bit, but last night really put it into perspective, for me anyway.

    I hate to be a broken record but McDermott always shows life on the bench. He is always talking to the officials and yelling at them. ALWAYS. If you aren't at the games you maybe can't see this. If you are at the games you should try watching him.

    I do agree about the players. McDermott has mentioned as much in the past about how the players are sensitive (for lack of a better word) and that they don't respond to being beat down. Not sure why.



  5. #5
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: My observation about the players

    Overall I agree with Stewo. The only exception I might make is Brackins, although I only caught the final 10 minutes. Coincidentally right when GMac got T'd up.

    But from there on, I thought Craig played pretty tough and aggressive (perhaps he was throughout the game). On a couple of occassions I thought he was going to go after an OSU player after a play. He was very strong in posting up. Once did his turnaround, baseline fadeaway (and missed), but after than he backed the defender down and went hard to the hoop. Glad to see it.

    The rest of the team was more or less asleep. DG had moments - particularly on D.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,437, Level: 95
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    94,437
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Overall I agree with Stewo. The only exception I might make is Brackins, although I only caught the final 10 minutes. Coincidentally right when GMac got T'd up.

    But from there on, I thought Craig played pretty tough and aggressive (perhaps he was throughout the game). On a couple of occassions I thought he was going to go after an OSU player after a play. He was very strong in posting up. Once did his turnaround, baseline fadeaway (and missed), but after than he backed the defender down and went hard to the hoop. Glad to see it.

    The rest of the team was more or less asleep. DG had moments - particularly on D.

    Good thread...

    Brackins took a lot of dumb shots last night...



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 355,853, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,900
    Points
    355,853
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 39

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    I hate to be a broken record but McDermott always shows life on the bench. He is always talking to the officials and yelling at them. ALWAYS. If you aren't at the games you maybe can't see this. If you are at the games you should try watching him.

    I do agree about the players. McDermott has mentioned as much in the past about how the players are sensitive (for lack of a better word) and that they don't respond to being beat down. Not sure why.
    No he isn't. Obviously last night was the first time. You aren't working them unless you get a T.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 27,040, Level: 50
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cloned4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,541
    Points
    27,040
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: My observation about the players

    This is my opinion - I do not see a lot of mental toughness on this team.

    And the fact that it gets implied on here sometimes that what we say on these message boards could potentially affect the emotional well being of a player or players on our team only amplifies my opinion.

    I just see very little of the mental traits I really thought I'd see out of a Greg coached team. I see a lot of softness.



  9. #9
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    colorado springs, co
    Posts
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: My observation about the players

    is that why they're so undisciplined? coach is too scared to make touch criticisms? there seems to be no consequences for continual selfish play.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 355,853, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,900
    Points
    355,853
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 39

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    Good thread...

    Brackins took a lot of dumb shots last night...
    and missed the good ones. Heres what i think. I think it is very hard to judge how tough a kid is in high school. A lot of the guys we are recruiting are going to be standouts and they normally won't have to show toughness. I can't think of one player on the team that I would classify as tough on the court. It seems like everyone is willing to fold up when it matters. Hopefully Ejim and Phillips bring a little attitude with them to Ames.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,437, Level: 95
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    94,437
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    This is my opinion - I do not see a lot of mental toughness on this team.

    And the fact that it gets implied on here sometimes that what we say on these message boards could potentially affect the emotional well being of a player or players on our team only amplifies my opinion.

    I just see very little of the mental traits I really thought I'd see out of a Greg coached team. I see a lot of softness.

    I agree...How would you coach toughness and effort?



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 265,595, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,039
    Points
    265,595
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 134

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    I agree...How would you coach toughness and effort?
    The same way every other coach in the country does it?



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,714, Level: 76
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 936
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    3,635
    Points
    60,714
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 14

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    I agree...How would you coach toughness and effort?
    Pushball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

  14. #14
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: My observation about the players

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    I agree...How would you coach toughness and effort?
    I believe Tom Izzo borrows equipment from the football team...



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,437, Level: 95
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    94,437
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: My observation about the players

    Well, it was a good thread.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM