Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Can Meyer be THE man for ISU?

I'm hoping that Bret Meyer can do the job for the Cyclones this season, but there are questions.
    1. Can he run an option? At times he showed some speed, but most of the time very tentative on runs.
    2. Can he take a hit? Very few times did we see him put his head down and take a defensive player on
    3. Can he find receivers all over the field? As as been discussed, he wasn't allowed to throw all over the field, but who knows if he can do it
    4. ISU basically ran stop routes on passes. Can Meyer lead receivers on patters, instead of throwing to a stopped receiver?
    5. Can he read defenses in a wide open offense? We really don't know this.
    It seemed he played:
    -not to get hurt
    -not to make a mistake
    This is probably what the coaches wanted.There are more questions than answers about Meyer. I'd like others read on this. Does Meyer have the tools to do the job?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

Re: Can Meyer be THE man for ISU?

For the first time in a while, it looks like we have a very serviceable backup QB. That can really reshape what your QB is allowed to do within the offense. Taking off the don't-get-hurt shackles should allow Meyer to flourish.

I've watched Meyer make some pretty damn good throws in his career here. So I think with more coaching and practice, he can do the things we need him to do - and more.

He looks bigger/stronger already and it's only April. I think as he continues to get more comfortable with the new staff, new techniques and new offense - he'll do just fine.

Again, I think a big part of his growth this year will be having a guy that can come in and back him up and has the potential to do well. Not only does this allow the coaches to take a few more risks with their QB, it should keep Meyer on his toes.

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

From watching Brett in his first 3 years, I always found him to be very bad at running the option. He was much better at the draws and just taking off during a pass play.

My question is what makes you think that the option will be a big part of our offense this year?

"Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!!" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I think so.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    I'm hoping that Bret Meyer can do the job for the Cyclones this season, but there are questions.
    1. Can he run an option? At times he showed some speed, but most of the time very tentative on runs.
    2. Can he take a hit? Very few times did we see him put his head down and take a defensive player on
    3. Can he find receivers all over the field? As as been discussed, he wasn't allowed to throw all over the field, but who knows if he can do it
    4. ISU basically ran stop routes on passes. Can Meyer lead receivers on patters, instead of throwing to a stopped receiver?
    5. Can he read defenses in a wide open offense? We really don't know this.
    It seemed he played:
    -not to get hurt
    -not to make a mistake
    This is probably what the coaches wanted.There are more questions than answers about Meyer. I'd like others read on this. Does Meyer have the tools to do the job?
    1. I seem to remember Bret running the option decently well when we actually did run an option play. He struggled in scrambling on undesigned running plays in my opinion.

2. Yes he can take a hit, he's been sacked so much and never been injured. Do we want our QB to take on defensive players head on? I don't think so, that should not be his job.

3. I felt last season Bret focused on one part of the field or locked on to a reciever far too often. With the recent findings that he was told to only focus on 1/2 or less of the field per play explains that. We'll see if he can prove himself to be a quality quaterback in a wide open offense. I think there he is poised to make a strong statement and do very well this season. He's been there before and has plenty of gametime experiences. He has seen a lot of defenses and will do well in my opinion.

4. Depends on timing, which is this offenses major dependency. I think he'll be fine with work. He knows what it takes.

5. I feel he will be able to read defenses. Being a fourth year starter he has seen so many defenses and game situations. He will do well, and if not there will be changes made to the depth chart. Bret is very capable, and will only help his future this season.

Wow, I am excited...can't wait for football season!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Will ISU run some option offense? I don't know. But I surmise that Chizik won't have his QB run out of bounds or throw out of bounds like past regiem did. I'm only guessing there will be some run option in. Could be wrong on that.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

First, define your expectations for the season. Here are mine: Four wins. Can Brett Meyer get us four wins? I believe so. So I guess he's the man.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Meyer's biggest problems are locking onto receivers and missing wide open 2nd or 3rd option receivers on a play and also being very indecisive at times. I don't know how many times we were screaming that Brett didn't see a wide open guy and remained locked onto his primary target that was covered. There are also times he should just tuck it in and run when all his receivers are covered and he has room to do it but a lot of times he seems to hesitate and hope one of them comes back and gets open before tucking it in at the last second because he's about to get hit.

Even a check down on another receiver would go a long ways to helping the passing game because more times than not it was painfully obvious he was locked onto a receiver from the snap.

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Like ISUFan22 said, the biggest help to Meyer is that we have a more than capable backup QB. For the first time in several years Meyer is being pushed. If he doesn't produce, then he will sit. Simple as that.

If he is the player we all know/hope that he is, then this competition will spur him to new heights. If not, we will probably be seeing what Arnaud is capable of this fall.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

According to Meyer, under DM's offense, he was only allowed to look at 1/3 of the field on passes. That may account for his apparent inability to find receivers. The whole concept seems crazy to me, but I'm not a coach.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Meyer is a drop back passer. He's a pretty fast runner, but he's not quick like the "experts" tout him. He doesn't have breakaway quickness; that's why he's a better QB draw quarterback than option QB.

I am hoping we see the offense we were expecting last year, this year!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Meyer isn't quick, if you noticed him and Blythe both have the longest strides on the field. Which means it takes them a little bit longer to get going.

I would definately agree that the coaches taught him to not make mistakes, instead of teaching him how to make plays.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 12

I wouldn't judge Meyer's option ability by what he has shown in the past. No QB would be effective as a option runner with what Meyer has had to work with in his career. The OL was too slow to be able to get any outside leverage and none of the RBs who saw the field last year had sufficient speed to be a legitimate option threat.

There was actually some success with option plays in goal line situations. This was due more to defenses overloading the inside with an extra lineman which helped even out the speed discrepency and allowed for a numbers advantage on the corners.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    There was actually some success with option plays in goal line situations. This was due more to defenses overloading the inside with an extra lineman which helped even out the speed discrepency and allowed for a numbers advantage on the corners.
    Well, it worked against the teams that didn't do their homework enough to see that our goal line strategy consisted of up the middle, option, fade to the corner, bring out the kicking team and pray.