View Poll Results: Where will Blythe be drafted?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st Round

23 10.00%
  • 2nd Round

83 36.09%
  • 3rd or 4th Round

100 43.48%
  • 5th Round or later

14 6.09%
  • Undrafted

10 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

2008 NFL Draft - Todd Blythe

It's never too early to start talking NFL draft. Yet with the '07 draft just around the corner, why not really get ahead of ourselves and talk '08 draft?

Plus, it's only fun to get that speculation in before the '07 collegiate season begins. Vote and discuss where you think Todd Blythe will end up in the '08 draft...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 9

Re: 2008 NFL Draft - Todd Blythe

He's got the size and the hands, but he needs to show scouts that he can run crisp, quick routes. Also needs to improve his yards after catch.

I think he's a later round pick (4th-6th) - and that's if he has a great season.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

2nd or 3rd round. Just a gut feeling, unless he has an incredible season.

I believe he stacks up well against those listed 2-3 here...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6422014

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I think that Blythe made a good decision staying. Not only does he get to learn a new offense, but he has a S&C staff that will really push him. On top of that, next year is not going to be a great WR year in the draft. Calvin Johnson is probably the best WR to come out in 5 years at least. The two at USC were pretty good as was Meachem at UT, Ginn and Gonzales at tOSU and Bowe at LSU, not to mention the ND WR that is going to MLB. TT lost their two studs too. Really, who is left? I think that Blythe is a top 5 WR by default.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Blythe is a sure thing in the NFL draft because of his size, speed and hands. Big receivers are not easy to come by, and he can either be a wide out or converted to a tight end by an NFL team. Just look at the woes of the Minnesota Vikings, Blythe would probably start for them this season. I see him as close to a sure thing in making it in the NFL as any ISU player on the team this year. Great guy, smart and a gamer. Gotta love it!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I think he's about a 4th rounder or later unless he can get his 40 time under 4.5.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If he has a good senior year I think he'll be a middle round pick.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I think he's about a 4th rounder or later unless he can get his 40 time under 4.5.
    agreed 100%. that is the only thing he really needs. he already has great hands and great size, if he can get that 40 down a bit more, lookout!

You can't polish a turd.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

"Blythe is a sure thing in the NFL draft because of his size, speed and hands. Big receivers are not easy to come by, and he can either be a wide out or converted to a tight end by an NFL team. Just look at the woes of the Minnesota Vikings, Blythe would probably start for them this season. I see him as close to a sure thing in making it in the NFL as any ISU player on the team this year. Great guy, smart and a gamer. Gotta love it!"

I have to agree to disagree with everything you say here, not throwing you under the bus, but I think Blythe is going to have to have a very good season to get drafted...there are still alot of questions. Was it the coaches, play calling, o'line play, or Blythe not doing the little things. Seemed to me he took plays off when he was not being thrown to. If you are big time and the focus for the defense you need to create space...get yourself open. Blythe does NOT have a tight end body. The Vikings are hurting at receiver but I would not pencil him in as a starter or even making the team. Todd Blythe has a lot to prove this season....whats good is I think he knows it and we will see the Todd Blythe we all were expecting last year.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RedStorm View Post
    "Blythe is a sure thing in the NFL draft because of his size, speed and hands. Big receivers are not easy to come by, and he can either be a wide out or converted to a tight end by an NFL team. Just look at the woes of the Minnesota Vikings, Blythe would probably start for them this season. I see him as close to a sure thing in making it in the NFL as any ISU player on the team this year. Great guy, smart and a gamer. Gotta love it!"

I have to agree to disagree with everything you say here, not throwing you under the bus, but I think Blythe is going to have to have a very good season to get drafted...there are still alot of questions. Was it the coaches, play calling, o'line play, or Blythe not doing the little things. Seemed to me he took plays off when he was not being thrown to. If you are big time and the focus for the defense you need to create space...get yourself open. Blythe does NOT have a tight end body. The Vikings are hurting at receiver but I would not pencil him in as a starter or even making the team. Todd Blythe has a lot to prove this season....whats good is I think he knows it and we will see the Todd Blythe we all were expecting last year.
    You think he needs a great season just to get drafted? Sorry, but I think you're crazy. The only way Blythe doesn't get drafted is if he runs a 4.7+. Even then, he has late round value as a "jump-ball" endzone WR. Blythe has to be fairly fast if he can beat Big XII defenders deep. WHERE TB gets drafted depends almost solely on his combine 40 time. Everyone knows he has the hands and ball skills. Here's my guess:

4.4-4.5 = Round 1 or 2.
    4.5-4.6 = Round 3 or 4
    4.6-4.7 = Round 5 or 6
    4.7+ = Round 7 or UFA

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One thing I have noticed about Blythe and discussed with others is that he seems to avoid hits. With the acception of the catch he made against Colorado where he landed on his head, you rarely ever see him get hit. That said, that could be coaching. Blythe never crosses the middle and almost all his routes are fly or deep post routes.

I think if you're going to have someone as big as him to throw to, he's going to have to be able to hit and make blocks for your backs (i.e. Keyshawn Johnson).

I am a huge Blythe fan and have always been. I wish him the best and would be the first one to buy his NFL jersey when he's drafted.

TRUE & VALIANT

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 7

Blythe better seriously step it up this year if he wants to be drafted. He was insane as a frosh, and solid as a soph, but his junior year was a dissapointment. IF he can kick it back up he could be a 3rd to 4th rounder.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Read an interview with Blythe somewhere where he says he is really excited about this season. Apparently, last coaching staff only felt he could go deep. Period. Now he is working on crossing pattens, short and middle distance routes etc and is really fired up. I sense past coaches were pretty one dimensional with players. We'll soon find out what he has going. I think everyone will be surprised.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

"You think he needs a great season just to get drafted? Sorry, but I think you're crazy. The only way Blythe doesn't get drafted is if he runs a 4.7+. Even then, he has late round value as a "jump-ball" endzone WR. Blythe has to be fairly fast if he can beat Big XII defenders deep. WHERE TB gets drafted depends almost solely on his combine 40 time. Everyone knows he has the hands and ball skills. Here's my guess:

4.4-4.5 = Round 1 or 2.
    4.5-4.6 = Round 3 or 4
    4.6-4.7 = Round 5 or 6
    4.7+ = Round 7 or UFA"

There are a lot of other things than speed and hands. He has not proved to anyone that he is willing to go across the middle. Play 100% every play, be physical enough to get open or create space, and his toughness. When teams bumped him, doubled him, or he had to take a hit...he disapeared. Chizik had to game plan for Blythe last year and I am sure he saw all this and has communcated it to Blythe, so it is all up to him, if he does not show the toughness and consistancy Chizik expects he will not be on the field and I will not be surprised if that happens during the season....we are deep at WR. I think if the 2008 draft was held today...he would be a late round pick at best and maybe a free-agent. I am not blasting your opinion or Todd Blythe but he has a lot ot prove this year. Now to his defense....I don't think the old coaching staff did what they needed to to help him get open....move him around, run him out of the slot, motion, or run him across the middle. They always ran him in the same pattern...itwas frustrateing and predictable.

Last edited by RedStorm; 04-03-2007 at 03:25 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There's no way he cracks the top two rounds unfortunately. You have to also think of all the top players at every position, not just WR. He may end up as one of the top 10 WR's in the draft next year but nobody may take him until 3 or 4. If there's no great WR's, teams won't stretch and take a usually lower round WR higher in the draft. It doesn't work that way. It's the way the business works. Here's to Blythe outdoing everyone's expectations and thriving in the NFL to make a career out of it!

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes