Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 516
    Given: 338

Woes for the Olympics

Olympics | Woe, Canada! Olympic problems and missteps pile up | Seattle Times Newspaper

The additional Cypress cancellations announced Tuesday now totaling 28,000 tickets stemmed from the closure, for all remaining events, of the standing-room area for snowboard and freestyle skiing events.
    That viewing area, which accommodated about 4,000 fans, was built by packing tons of snow on top of bales of straw, but persistent rains have washed away much of the snow, said Caley Denton, VANOC's vice president for ticketing.
    As a result, the remaining snow cover is so thin, people walking across it have slipped up to their knees or higher in gaps between the straw bales. Denton said crews considered ways to reinforce the area, but "at the end of the day, we just came to the conclusion that it's just too unstable."
    VANOC will refund the purchase price of the tickets, $50 to $65 apiece, but only to the original buyer. Anyone who bought tickets at an inflated price on the secondary market is stuck.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 51

Re: Woes for the Olympics

I have a friend from VC, BC. She has been laughing about how the announcers are constantly commenting on the "unseasonably warm weather" She says it's always like that. She grew up skiing Whistler and never remembers ever being there when there was not a lake of meltwater at the bottom. She's surprised they were given the Olympics. Their weather isn't much different than Seattle.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 468

Here's the thing - (not to get all political) now the world is going to go all "global warming" on these Olympics, but an honest question - considering everyone knows what the climate in Seattle is like, would anyone with half a brain hold Winter Olympics there? Then why the hell would you hold them in Vancouver, a place that's just 2 hours north with the exact same climate? Because it's Canada and every part of Canada is cold in the winter? Where's Jim Rome's manual buzzer when I need it?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 24

Dumb *** Canadians can't even keep indoor ice from thawing.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Dumb *** Canadians can't even keep indoor ice from thawing.
    At least they have the recipe for ice, unlike the students at EIU because the senior who had it graduated...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 588

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Here's the thing - (not to get all political) now the world is going to go all "global warming" on these Olympics, but an honest question - considering everyone knows what the climate in Seattle is like, would anyone with half a brain hold Winter Olympics there? Then why the hell would you hold them in Vancouver, a place that's just 2 hours north with the exact same climate? Because it's Canada and every part of Canada is cold in the winter? Where's Jim Rome's manual buzzer when I need it?
    This. I am not surprised the country that gave us disasters like Celine Dione and Bryan Adams can't host a Winter Olympics without having many major problems.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 10

Nice. Bashing the country that's been our strongest ally and good neighbor for over 200 years. I guess it's the conservative thing to do since they have national health insurance, but they also provide more oil for us than the middle east, and got into world war 2 before we did. Not exactly the dumb wimps some people like to make them out to be (and I think their economy is doing a lot better than ours). I've been to Canada numerous times and they have a beautiful country and great people.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Nice. Bashing the country that's been our strongest ally and good neighbor for over 200 years. I guess it's the conservative thing to do since they have national health insurance, but they also provide more oil for us than the middle east, and got into world war 2 before we did. Not exactly the dumb wimps some people like to make them out to be (and I think their economy is doing a lot better than ours). I've been to Canada numerous times and they have a beautiful country and great people.
    Sensitive much? It's called a rivalry. Ever say something negative about the Hawk fans on this site?

I love Canada. I even want to get one of those hockey jerseys. But on Saturday when it's U.S. V Canada, it's going down...

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 259

I don't think anybody here was planning on killing a bunch of Canadians...
    It's a rivalry between neighboring countries. Kind of like ISU and UI. I talk more smack about the hawks and have more hate towards them, than I do Canada, yet, I still have many close relatives and friends who are Hawkeye fans.
    But, don't worry, I'm sure when/if we ever get attacked by zombies or aliens, we will all come together as humans and fight for our lives, with joining hands.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    This. I am not surprised the country that gave us disasters like Celine Dione and Bryan Adams can't host a Winter Olympics without having many major problems.
    Hey now, the Canadian government has appologized for Bryan Adams on numerous occasions...

In all seriousness though, they did comment during the opening ceremonies that Vancouver is the warmest city to ever host the winter games. They had to know that there was the potential to have some of these issues.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have some relatives there, so I may be a little sensitive. We're rivals in the Olympics but I don't feel anywhere near the dislike for Canada as I do the hawkeyes. Maybe it's because Canada isn't much of a threat to us in most sports or anything else except hockey and a few winter sports. Also my experience is that Canadiens are a more humble and likeable group than the squawks.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 259

I have some relatives there, so I may be a little sensitive. We're rivals in the Olympics but I don't feel anywhere near the dislike for Canada as I do the hawkeyes. Maybe it's because Canada isn't much of a threat to us in most sports or anything else except hockey and a few winter sports. Also my experience is that Canadiens are a more humble and likeable group than the squawks.
    That's not saying much.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Prospect
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Not to be picky, but technically we went to war with Canada/Great Britain in 1812, i.e. less than 200 years ago. We actually tried to invade Canada on several occasions. just sayin

I root forISU () and anyone playing the huskers ()

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Forgot about 1812. Make it just under 200 years.