Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Great interview with Billy and Lyndsey (Medders) Fennelly

Iowa State University Alumni Association - February 2010

Billy, was it difficult dating one of your dad’s players?
    Billy: It was very tough. I really did not want people to know; I did not want to put Lyndsey or my dad in a tough situation if the word got out. We had to keep a very low profile because, in Ames, everyone knows Iowa State basketball. People would recognize Lyndsey or me very easily and would start making assumptions and talking. That’s not what I wanted. We had a lot of classes together, and then we would be at practice together. Once practice was over, we just hung out at one of our places. We did not go out in public together.

What did Coach Fennelly think of all this? How about Lyndsey’s teammates?
    Lyndsey: He didn’t know for the longest time. Not many people besides our friends knew. It was well hidden from him, and we wanted to keep it that way. The one thing we agreed on from the beginning was it was never right for Coach to have to answer the question, “What do you think of Lyndsey and Billy?” in the media room. It wasn’t his business -- nor anyone else’s, really -- so we kept it that way. He started to figure it out by our junior and senior years, but it was this unspoken understanding we had. As a player/coach, we always had a close relationship. So I think he trusted how we were handling it. Now that I’m his daughter-in-law, our relationship hasn’t changed a ton. I still call him ‘Coach;’ he’s a lifelong mentor of mine; and we still talk a few times a week.

My teammates weren’t too tough on me. One of my first concerns, especially as a freshman, was making sure no one had negative feelings about it or thought I was getting “preferred” treatment. (Trust me, I didn’t!) They got to know [Billy] and weren’t surprised as to why we were together. They all were great about it, and we had a ton of fun.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Re: Great interview with Billy and Lyndsey (Medders) Fennelly

Nice find - There was speculation about her getting into coaching - I wonder if the Point Guard College experience and exposure is instead of or a prelude to a team coaching position.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    Nice find - There was speculation about her getting into coaching - I wonder if the Point Guard College experience and exposure is instead of or a prelude to a team coaching position.
    Biding their time to take over the "family business"? Probably not, but it would be fun.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

She has always been one of my favorites