Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 4,868, Level: 20
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    miami / ames
    Posts
    132
    Points
    4,868
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

    Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    According to cyride, we'll find tomorrow how much funding we should get for the facility.

    -Some background with a rendering link half way down the page
    CyRide - Ames Transit Feasibility Study

    -cyride release
    CyRide Signals October 2009



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 406,135, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,154
    Points
    406,135
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 135

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    Best part of that is the 750 spot parking deck... would make it easier to park and walk to welch.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 81,912, Level: 88
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,833
    Points
    81,912
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 0

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Best part of that is the 750 spot parking deck... would make it easier to park and walk to welch.
    I wonder how this will work. Will these spots be metered (and thus bringing in money to the city) or will they be public parking. I worry with the location that if they are not metered, you're going to have people parking there longterm, but yet having to deal with feeding the meter is rather annoying if you are out at a restaurant or bar.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 28,566, Level: 51
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    1,749
    Points
    28,566
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 3

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility




  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 433,179, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,879
    Points
    433,179
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    It makes too much sense for Ames to ever do.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 406,135, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,154
    Points
    406,135
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 135

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I wonder how this will work. Will these spots be metered (and thus bringing in money to the city) or will they be public parking. I worry with the location that if they are not metered, you're going to have people parking there longterm, but yet having to deal with feeding the meter is rather annoying if you are out at a restaurant or bar.
    If you went the metered route, you could just use a ticket system, like they already have in the MU (i'd hope for lower rates, especially at night). If you went the public parking route, yes, you'd have to find a way to keep long term parking out of there.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 406,135, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,154
    Points
    406,135
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 135

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    Another thought, how quickly would those lots fill during the day? If you could jump onto a route that goes around campus from there, it might be quicker than the commuter lot by hilton. Could see it taking some revenue from the MU ramp.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 110,514, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,252
    Points
    110,514
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 126

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    More taxi availability there would be great! Ames has always needed a stronger taxi presence at 2am.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,529, Level: 96
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,521
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,247
    Points
    95,529
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 594
    Given: 137

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    This would be fantastic. I'm a bit skeptical they'll get funding though.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 95,063, Level: 96
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,185
    Points
    95,063
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    I wish Ames luck but they have a ton of competition for Tiger grant money.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    In response to the parking concerns: the spots in the ramp will be shared by the city and ISU. The university and the city will each have a certain number of spots that they "own", and there will be a certain number of 'swing spaces'- stalls that are ISU by day and city by night/weekend. There was insinuation that most city spots would be free, especially after 5pm. I believe the idea is to use a permit & ticket system similar to what ISU already uses- you need an ISU permit or an entrance timestamp ticket to be parked in a spot. DPS will have its new headquarters there, so enforcement will be simple. Belive me, they're not going to overlook the concept of people parking there without a permit and leaving their cars all semester.


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 406,135, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,154
    Points
    406,135
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 135

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    I bet i know where we could get $365k in funding for this.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 81,912, Level: 88
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,833
    Points
    81,912
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 0

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    In response to the parking concerns: the spots in the ramp will be shared by the city and ISU. The university and the city will each have a certain number of spots that they "own", and there will be a certain number of 'swing spaces'- stalls that are ISU by day and city by night/weekend. There was insinuation that most city spots would be free, especially after 5pm. I believe the idea is to use a permit & ticket system similar to what ISU already uses- you need an ISU permit or an entrance timestamp ticket to be parked in a spot. DPS will have its new headquarters there, so enforcement will be simple. Belive me, they're not going to overlook the concept of people parking there without a permit and leaving their cars all semester.
    So there will be no parking for people going to stores and restaurants around Welch? If you need a permit to park there then it really doesn't help much. I guess I thought this was more of a boost to campustown businesses, not to create a place for people to park and ride the bus to work.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 13,532, Level: 35
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    La Fox, IL
    Posts
    1,207
    Points
    13,532
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    So there will be no parking for people going to stores and restaurants around Welch? If you need a permit to park there then it really doesn't help much. I guess I thought this was more of a boost to campustown businesses, not to create a place for people to park and ride the bus to work.
    As of right now, campus town business is primarily done at night, mainly on Friday and Saturday nights. It sounds like there are rules for when the ramp will be free of charge, just like many university parking sports expire after 5 or 7 pm.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Campustown/Intermodal Transportation Facility

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    So there will be no parking for people going to stores and restaurants around Welch? If you need a permit to park there then it really doesn't help much. I guess I thought this was more of a boost to campustown businesses, not to create a place for people to park and ride the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    As of right now, campus town business is primarily done at night, mainly on Friday and Saturday nights. It sounds like there are rules for when the ramp will be free of charge, just like many university parking sports expire after 5 or 7 pm.
    Exactly. Homer, if you'd read my post closer, you'd understand. The spots that are "owned" by the city will likely replace most of the current metered spots in Campustown. It will be exactly like using any other pay lot in the area.


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM