Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 273,382, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,728
    Points
    273,382
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 177

    Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    With the likes of Texas, Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska, and ISU to have all been rumored in the last few months at being interested in switching conferences, does this finally force the Big 12 to look at the way they run the conference?

    Do you think we start to see more revenue sharing across the board, and the creation of the Big 12 network? If ISU does not move to the Big 10, and I think there is little to no chance it happens, I personally hope all this talk finally makes the Big 12 realize their business model sucks *** and is in dire need of change.


    Last edited by chuckd4735; 02-12-2010 at 03:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 600,157, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,292
    Points
    600,157
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,279
    Given: 116

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    With the likes of Texas, Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska, and ISU to have all been rumored in the last few months at being interested in switching conferences, does this finally force the Big 12 to look at the way they run the conference?

    Do you think we start to see more revenue sharing across the board, and the creation of the Big 12 network? If ISU does not move to the Big 10, and I think there is little to no chance that happens, I personally hope all this talk finally makes the Big 12 realize their business model sucks *** and is in dire need of change.
    I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying.

    If ISU does not move to the Big 10, and I think there is little to no chance that happens,
    You think there's little to no chance that ISU does not move to the Big 10?


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 273,382, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,728
    Points
    273,382
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 177

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying.



    You think there's little to no chance that ISU does not move to the Big 10?
    Sorry for the double negative, fixed it.

    What I am asking is, do you think all this talk about schools possibly leaving the Big 12 for other conferences, that the Big 12 looks at a different business model to become a conference that BCS teams want to stay in.



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 19,378, Level: 42
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    LeaningCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    868
    Points
    19,378
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 15

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    They might look at some different policies, but I fail to see how the rumor of Texas leaving would result in revenue sharing. The only teams that would benefit from revenue sharing are not attractive enough to get an offer from another conference anyway. Like the OP said, maybe this lights a fire for a better TV deal?


    Winning cures all.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 101,690, Level: 99
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,360
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,459
    Points
    101,690
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    If revenue sharing was started that would be a positive for schools like ISU, CU, and maybe/probably MU but that would be a reason for Texas to bail. I simply can't fathom that Texas would make more with the B10 and sharing so much more revenue than they do currently. Admittedly, I haven't been reading up much on this stuff lately because the possiblities scare me.

    My guess is Texas is leaking their name out to leverage the B12 to leave things as they are, but then the B12 would have to worry about other schools bailing if there was a conference that wanted them.

    The TV thing is what it is because you have to consider how many more tv sets the B10 has in their footprint. You saw how much they struggled that first year to get on to cable programming, and that was with mass amounts of viewership in their area. The B12 doing that would be more difficult by far, that's why I'm intrigued bye the idea of a B12/P10 shared network to share resources a bit and increase the number of top media markets in the footprint.

    Either way, ISU would be best off in the B10 for a number of reasons, are likely to not make that move, and all of this talk terrifies me.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 188,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,511
    Points
    188,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 115

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    ISU is rumored to be leaving?


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 273,382, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,728
    Points
    273,382
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 177

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    ISU is rumored to be leaving?
    ISU's name has been on every long list I have seen for Big 10 expansion. Most of them have it as one of the least likely, but it is showing up in some places.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 273,382, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,728
    Points
    273,382
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 177

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by cymonat View Post
    They might look at some different policies, but I fail to see how the rumor of Texas leaving would result in revenue sharing. The only teams that would benefit from revenue sharing are not attractive enough to get an offer from another conference anyway. Like the OP said, maybe this lights a fire for a better TV deal?
    Missouri, Texas Tech, Ok. State and Colorado would all benefit form revenue sharing, at least according these numbers from 2007-2008...http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...-sharing-funds



  9. #9
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    118
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Big Ten has absolutely no interest in ISU. We do absolutely zero for them in terms of revenue. They already have most of the television sets in the state and are only interested in tapping into a fresh, major metropolitan market. I am somewhat worried that ISU may be asked to leave the Big 12 eventually.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 14,363, Level: 36
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    664
    Points
    14,363
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 32

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    The poor revenue sharing of the Big 12 compared to other BCS conferences obviously bothers me, but if the Big 12 would just get their crappy football TV package fixed, I would be happy. In the year 2010, is it to much to ask that I can see every ISU game on TV? I don't care if Mediacom has to pick them up or they are only on ESPNU or some other crappy network, I just want to watch more Big 12 football. I have to imagine there is a higher demand for Big 12 football on TV than the current supply. Why is it so hard to get the damn games on TV? Fix that and I'm happy with the Big 12.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 29,464, Level: 52
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,157
    Points
    29,464
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    The poor revenue sharing of the Big 12 compared to other BCS conferences obviously bothers me, but if the Big 12 would just get their crappy football TV package fixed, I would be happy. In the year 2010, is it to much to ask that I can see every ISU game on TV? I don't care if Mediacom has to pick them up or they are only on ESPNU or some other crappy network, I just want to watch more Big 12 football. I have to imagine there is a higher demand for Big 12 football on TV than the current supply. Why is it so hard to get the damn games on TV? Fix that and I'm happy with the Big 12.
    nothing is going to happen until the end of the Fox TV contract which is at the end of the 2011-12 academic year and even then, there is no guarantee of a full blown TV network similar to what The Big 10 has. If the SEC didn't go that route, I don't think any other conference will.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 101,690, Level: 99
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,360
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,459
    Points
    101,690
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by westcyedclone View Post
    Big Ten has absolutely no interest in ISU. We do absolutely zero for them in terms of revenue. They already have most of the television sets in the state and are only interested in tapping into a fresh, major metropolitan market. I am somewhat worried that ISU may be asked to leave the Big 12 eventually.
    I'd be surprised as a charter member of the B8 if ISU were ever asked to leave. But the idea of other schools leaving ISU behind is what is more plausible and scary to me.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 177,333, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,383
    Points
    177,333
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by westcyedclone View Post
    Big Ten has absolutely no interest in ISU. We do absolutely zero for them in terms of revenue. They already have most of the television sets in the state and are only interested in tapping into a fresh, major metropolitan market. I am somewhat worried that ISU may be asked to leave the Big 12 eventually.
    If televisions are the main concern, then why Pitt? The Big Ten already has the Pennsylvania TV market with Penn State. Secondly, ISU is a charter member of the original Big 6. We will never be asked to leave. Now, if we wanted to leave, I doubt anyone would put up a stink.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 14,363, Level: 36
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    664
    Points
    14,363
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 32

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    nothing is going to happen until the end of the Fox TV contract which is at the end of the 2011-12 academic year and even then, there is no guarantee of a full blown TV network similar to what The Big 10 has. If the SEC didn't go that route, I don't think any other conference will.
    Do you think the Big 12 could get a comprehensive TV package like the SEC or ACC has when the Fox contract runs out? IMO, the Big 12 has enough prestige and marketability to get a significant upgrade. If you read the SEC ESPN deal, it states every SEC matchup will be televised in some fashion by ESPN. I have a hard time believing the Big 12 can't get something like that. Also, since the Pac-10 and Big 12 lag behind their peers in TV exposure, I believe the idea of a Pac-10/Big 12 network would be the most ideal scenario, though I have no idea how feasible it is.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 154,632, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,477
    Points
    154,632
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 26

    Re: Does the Big 12 change their ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    If televisions are the main concern, then why Pitt? The Big Ten already has the Pennsylvania TV market with Penn State. Secondly, ISU is a charter member of the original Big 6. We will never be asked to leave. Now, if we wanted to leave, I doubt anyone would put up a stink.
    Rutgers or Syracuse would seem more likely so that they could tap into New York/Jersey.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM