Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Denver writer makes the case for CU to the Pac 10

He left out one important issue, but that would be more suited for the Politics/Religion forum

Woelk: Pac-10 move no longer mere rumor - Buffzone

Understand that Colorado is by no means unhappy with its current position in the Big 12. It`s a lucrative situation for CU, and athletic director Mike Bohn will be the first to say CU has benefited greatly from its membership. And, Bohn has repeatedly said no official contact has been made.

But it also might be time for a change -- and as I`ve written here before, a Colorado move to the Pac-10 makes too much sense to ignore:

CU`s largest and strongest out-of-state alumni base resides on the West Coast. A move to the Pac-10 would greatly enhance CU`s visibility there, and thus increase the school`s fundraising capabilities among an alumni base waiting to be courted. It`s a marketing bonanza begging to be fully tapped.

Colorado`s academic standards are much more in line with those of the Pac-10 than the Big 12. I`ve said for years that CU somehow needs to level the playing field in that regard. A move to the Pac-10 would be a huge step in that direction.
    From a competitive financial standpoint, CU is a much better fit with the Pac-10. What`s becoming increasingly clear is that the Big 12 is turning into an arms race for the mega-rich. Forbes Magazine`s recent list of the 20 most valuable football programs in America included five Big 12 teams. Only one from the Pac-10 -- Southern Cal -- made the list. Colorado fits the Pac-10 profile in that regard.

Big 12 schools "sell" their schools via facilities. Bigger locker rooms, stadium scoreboards, indoor practice facilities -- wherever money can be spent in order to gloss over less-than-ideal locations. ("Welcome to Lincoln. That`s not the end of the world out there ... it just looks like it. Hey, want to see our weight room?")
    Pac-10 schools are more inclined to sell the campus, the location and academics. Again, CU fits the Pac-10 profile.

Ask yourself this: Seattle or Stillwater? Tempe or Ames? Los Angeles or Lincoln? Tucson or Waco? Bay Area or College Station? `Nuff said.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Denver writer makes the case for CU to the Pac 10

Woelk actually writes for the Boulder Daily Camera, but whatever. These conference shake up rumors are really getting interesting. I wonder if CU would be thinking of this move if the original Big 8 were still intact and the Texas schools weren't a part of the Big12 arms race. In football, they were the program that punctured the OU-kNU dominance of the 70s and 80s, but besides that they don't offer much in rich tradition in other sports (besides track and x-country). CU has always had an elitist viewpoint towards the rest of the big 12 schools, many of which are land grant institutions with strong Ag backgorunds (see student at coors events center that always holds a sign up saying: "You live in Iowa or Kansas (or wherever)". According to US News and World Report College Rankings, CU is 3rd of Big 12 schools for public universities (granted we all hate those rankings when our school isn't as high, but pound our chest when we like the rankings)... so perhaps CU is a better fit with the Stanfords and Cal-Bezerkly's of the world. I wonder how this would do for attendance at CU sporting events, b/c so many alumni of every other Big12 school live along the front range and come support their teams when visiting in boulder (see KU in b-ball, kNU and Texas in football)... I just don't see 20,000 Wazoo or Oregon State fans making the roadie to Boulder for a football or basketball game. But hey, if it makes them feel better about themselves getting out of the hillbilly Big12, so be it CU. Enjoy those short trips to Seattle, Pullman, and Corvallis.

Last edited by frontrangeclone; 02-12-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Seattle or Stillwater? Tempe or Ames? Los Angeles or Lincoln? Tucson or Waco? Bay Area or College Station?

Seriously.....dumb comparisons.

Colorado will suck where ever they decide to fall. I think out of all the teams though, they are the Big 12 team that doesn't "fit".

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

He makes some good points. It would be worth it for CU to explore the possibilities. I would hate to lose CU, but they could easily be replaced with CSU or TCU.

Frontrangeclone makes a good point, I doubt that they get many visitors from Pac 10 schools, but I doubt that Colorado is even considering that point. I probably would not if I was making the decision.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

some of the comments after the Woelk article are pretty funny, kNU and CU fan going at it... and many Cali CU alum saying how great it would be for CU to be in the PAC-10. Considering the attitude of many of these Cali-Buffs towards the rest of the big 12 reminds me of one of my all-time favorite Onion articles....

'Midwest' Discovered Between East, West Coasts | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Its getting so overplayed all these X to X conference articles.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"Ask yourself this: Seattle or Stillwater? Tempe or Ames? Los Angeles or Lincoln? Tucson or Waco? Bay Area or College Station? `Nuff said."

I grew up in Boulder. It's statements like these are the reason that I limit my visits to Iowa State games.

It's a beautiful place, but it is overrun with some of the smuggest of people I have ever met. Their world view and condescending attitude is certainly in line with much of the West Coast, that's for sure.

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why don't you just say you hate hippies?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 282

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    "Ask yourself this: Seattle or Stillwater? Tempe or Ames? Los Angeles or Lincoln? Tucson or Waco? Bay Area or College Station? `Nuff said."

I grew up in Boulder. It's statements like these are the reason that I limit my visits to Iowa State games.

It's a beautiful place, but it is overrun with some of the smuggest of people I have ever met. Their world view and condescending attitude is certainly in line with much of the West Coast, that's for sure.
    Do they drive a lot of hybrids? That's a leading cause of smug.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

face it, most of us are Iowans, everyone is going to appear smug compared to us.

Seriously though, characterizing all boulderites as smug, elitist hippies is just as ridiculous as their painting of Iowa/Iowans as ignorant, uncultured, boring, etc... yes, stereotypes are easy to use, but they backfire way too much. I have some good friends in boulder, many who grew up there, who are some of the nicest down to earth people I know. And conversely, some of the most pinheaded idiotic people I've known hail from the midwest. I think there is a cross section of types of people no matter where you are at.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 565
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by jpete24 View Post
    Colorado will suck where ever they decide to fall.

I think out of all the teams though, they are the Big 12 team that doesn't "fit".
    Yes, and yes.

I don't like the rumors of MU or UT to Big 10; or CU to Pac-10; but only because ISU is very fortunate to be in the Big 12. While it could be improved, I think we come out on the bad end of any conference shakeups that involve Big 12 teams moving to other conferences.

That said, CU would not be a material loss.

Maybe JP ought to be proactive and reach out to the Big 10? They would see no value in ISU per se, but if they could pick off MU and one of Rutgers/Syracuse/Pitt, they could feel good about going to 14 and add ISU.