Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 34

Some thoughts and concerns

I used to think of myself as a typical Iowa State fan. Once I read some of your thoughts, I realize I may not be so typical. Maybe it is because I grew up watching Iowa State in the 1980's and a lot of you are college kids whose first memories were probably in the lat 1990's. Who knows? But I ALWAYS expect the worst when it comes to Iowa State sports. I expect the losss, I'm thrilled with the win. It doesn't been that I'm not disappointed with the season (so far) or that I didn't think we had a good shot at the NCAA (I actually told someone that this might be the year it was all worth it), it just means that I'm not shocked that things have gone poorly.

I'm clearly a McDermott supporter. I think he has a brillent basketball mind. I think he is bringing in a lot of guys who are just good people. We haven't sniffed legal trouble since Mike Taylor was stealing cough medicine. We haven't had one academic issue. Obviously, McDermott hasn't managed win much in conference in his 3.5 years here. That is disturbing and puzzling to me.

So what are our problems?

1. Talent. I think DG is a good Big 12 guard. I think he has improved a ton in the last 2.5 years. I think that we need a great Big 12 guard. I hope Colvin can be that.

2. Player retention/coaching relations. This is the biggest issue, in my opinion. Player retention issues are like a spinning top that just keeps going and going, faster and faster. One player leaves, that makes the team worse, then another player leaves, etc, etc, until no player stays. Winning is probably the only thing that solves it because I believe that even a player unhappy with playing time is more likely to stay when winning than when losing. But you can't win without players staying, so the cycle just continues. The other side of it is coaching relationships with the players. This is the area which concerns me the most. I have to believe that there is some disconnect between the staff and the players and while I don't understand it, it appears to be hurting us. It's not all on the coaches because sometimes you have to learn that you just need to suck it up and work hard no matter what. Again, I think winning would take care of a lot of the problems.

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 38

Re: Some thoughts and concerns

I can't say that I disagree with you. What I will say is that the grammar/spelling police are going to nail you on this one.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,158
    Given: 2,018

While I agree that those are problems, I don't think they are the biggest problem with this team. I actually think this team has enough talent to be competitive, or did at the beginning of the year at least.

The biggest problem I see are the intangibles: chemistry, attitude, identity, etc.

This team just has never clicked together, they have not developed an identity of who they are as a team and they haven't played with an attitude or a chip on their shoulder at all.

The bad thing is that, to me, the intangibles are the hardest thing to fix with a team, look at UNC this year. You can't tell me Roy Williams is a bad coach, yet he hasn't been able to fix that issue this year. The good thing is that it's not necessarily a structural problem, and it can right itself quickly.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 963
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 0

UNC doesn't have intangible problems - they have PG and guard problems. Just like us. Of all the things to have in common with UNC.....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,158
    Given: 2,018

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    UNC doesn't have intangible problems - they have PG and guard problems. Just like us. Of all the things to have in common with UNC.....
    PG and guard problems go away (or are covered up) if the intangibles are fixed and the team wins.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,941
    Given: 2,353

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    PG and guard problems go away (or are covered up) if the intangibles are fixed and the team wins.
    I think they do, but I think the guard play puts the intangibles in place, too. It's kind of a vicious circle.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 57

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post

1. Talent. I think DG is a good Big 12 guard. I think he has improved a ton in the last 2.5 years. I think that we need a great Big 12 guard. I hope Colvin can be that.
    I'm always surprised that people think DG is serviceable. Here is my take on DG - by the time his eligibility expires at the end of next season, he will have been a starter on McDermott's teams for 3.5 years. Has there ever been a four-year starter in the history of ISU basketball that you've felt so ambivalent about? I think of recent past four-year starters and have a certain nostalgia about them. Unfortunately I don't have, and can't imagine ever having, any warm and fuzzy feelings about DG and his time running the show here. In one sense I'm of course grateful to him for the time he spent at ISU, but I think he will go down as the least-memorable four-year starter in ISU history.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Is there anybody eles that you would want to start in front of DG for the first 3 years? Buck? questionable, he has a lot of true point guard potential, now colvin, but if you have a vetran pg that has been runing the show why not let him keep doing it, and let our freshman pg learn the right way. and not let him hit a slump. I think dg has done a pretty good job at pg. how many times last night did we see him try to run a play, and everybody standed in a line down by the base line? with an agressive defense like mizzou runs, its very tough as a point guard to be great if the people around him are not great, he can get to rim at will, and has developed a pretty nice 15 ft. shot.

but i agree he will not be an isu great, but colvin might, and the way i've seen colvin getting better, im sure that dg is helping him in many aspecs of the game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 902
    Given: 550

DG is not a good Big 12 PG. However, since Lucca has left our shooting guard play has been worse than our point guard play, and that is saying something.

You state that winning solves everything.... in what year do you see us winning with GM as our coach?

You state in your post that you are not shocked that things have gone poorly... 4 years of the worst basketball since the early 1980's doesn't surprise you and yet you are a huge supporter of the current coach? That just doesn't make sense.