Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 10

Shawn Taggert

This doesn't really fit Cyclone Basketball anymore since Taggert decided to leave the Cyclone Program. However, in the sporting news is Memphis coach John Calipari turned down the Arkansas job. He could be headed elsewhere like Kentucky if Billy Donovan turns them down. Wouldn't it be something though that Taggert transfers from ISU to Memphis after the coaching change at ISU. He sits out the mandatory year for transfers and then Memphis coach Calipari leaves for another school.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Shawn Taggert

First of all, it's spelled TaggArt. And second of all, you bring up a good point I hadn't thought about yet. I think I'd laugh pretty heartily if Calipari got a different job...I'd feel bad for Shawn if I felt he worked hard while he was here and transferred for the right reasons, but the kid was lazy and didn't wanna put in the work GMac was gonna demand. I guess, whatever happens, I'm ultimately indifferent.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    I'd feel bad for Shawn if I felt he worked hard while he was here and transferred for the right reasons, but the kid was lazy and didn't wanna put in the work GMac was gonna demand.
    Well said. Does anyone here expect him to even see th court next season? Memphis has too much talent for a guy with his attitude to break in. So unless he's really committed himself, I expect that random threads here will be his only source of publicity.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 49

Shawn who?

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

People have to remember that Taggart got really sick before his season here. He lost a bunch of weight, and I don't think he ever recovered. I think it's unfair to criticize the guys work ethic, because nobody on here knows his practice habits. The guy was a top 50 player, so he obviously has talent. I think with a year of development, and conditioning, he may be an effective player for them. The fact that he was welcomed with open arms by a top ten program speaks volumes.

Also, I don't think that he was in tune with McDermott from the beginning. He was recruited here by a coach he obviously had a relationship with. And that coach was replaced by someone who was a complete opposite in terms of style of play. Plus being in a completely foreign environment, and having many of the people that he played with leaving, I can see where he would leave.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    People have to remember that Taggart got really sick before his season here. He lost a bunch of weight, and I don't think he ever recovered. I think it's unfair to criticize the guys work ethic, because nobody on here knows his practice habits. The guy was a top 50 player, so he obviously has talent. I think with a year of development, and conditioning, he may be an effective player for them. The fact that he was welcomed with open arms by a top ten program speaks volumes.

Also, I don't think that he was in tune with McDermott from the beginning. He was recruited here by a coach he obviously had a relationship with. And that coach was replaced by someone who was a complete opposite in terms of style of play. Plus being in a completely foreign environment, and having many of the people that he played with leaving, I can see where he would leave.
    You're right, I don't know his work ethic. That's why I said I felt he didn't work hard; he never struck me as a team-first kind of guy who just absolutely stuck it out and gave it his all. I also might be being unnecessarily hard on him because of the injury. There's no doubt in my mind he has tremendous talent, and may still become a really good player.

We don't know what relationship he developed with McDermott, if any. The fact was he was recruited by a coach that had no business coaching a major program. The style Wayno preached NEVER got the best out of its players; it was a lazy system that relied on athleticism to patch up its strategical flaws. Taggart probably got comfortable with that.

As far as not being comfortable with a new environment, what would you call Memphis?

I say all this at the risk of seeming bitter, but I'm not. I honestly wish he had stayed and had the opportunity to get coached by GMac. Oh well, life goes on.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I don't buy that he doesn't work hard... Has anyone seen him on the bench this year, I would guess he has put on 25 pounds of muscle minimum... But then again I think there are some shady supplements in that program...

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 288

I have a friend who went to UMass when Calipari was coach. He told me that Calipari found out that Marcus Camby had missed a couple of weightlifting sessions and called Camby into his office. Camby figured he was going to get chewed out. Instead Calipari was calm with Camby. Calipari told Camby that he didn't mind if he missed his workouts. Calipari said that he would rather have Camby stay all 4 years at UMass instead of working out and being an NBA lottery pick in 2-3 years. Needless to say Camby was in the weight room the following day...

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mine was said with a hint of bitterness, but beyond that he just never played with any kind of passion. He never seemed fired up. Maybe he realized at the beginning of the season that he didn't want to be here.

Side note: it would sure be nice to see some of our guys pack on a bit of weight during the off season. Taggart needed 25 pounds and so do a few of our big guys.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by HOTDON View Post
    Taggart needed 25 pounds

Umm, he had it when he came here, but he got horribly sick before the season and lost a lot of weight.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post

Totally agree. I completely respect Taggert. I think he would have really flourished under GM though. People remember his defense, but hey he was a freshman. I think the same thing about Cory Johnson, it was his 1st year but you can see the potential. Although I wasn't a Wayne fan I don't think his defensive philosophy was bad. He didn't work out because the players didn't really get any better because of lack of coaching. The defensive style of play was fine with the zone, there just wasn't any improvement. Jared Homan was a good post defender because he was guided under LE.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I find it odd that, in retrospect, the guys that left the program when McDermott was hired might have actually been a better fit with the type of system he runs. Taggart is more of a pure post-up guy than Hubalek before the season started; Rahshon Clark struggled offensively in the system this year, although he is a great defender. Farnold Degand probably would have played a lot, if not started, at the point had he stayed. Tasheed Carr is a question mark; he was downright bad last year!

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I bet Taggart contributes next year at Memphis and then starts his junior and senior year. While i agree he was awful most of the time last year, you could tell he had talent!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 240

I really wish we still had him. Getting sick really set him back and when he did get on the court, he showed some flashes of what he could do.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

In my college hoops 2k7 legacy, Taggart didn't do anything for Memphis his sophomore or junior seasons. ;)

In real life, I think Taggart has a nice upside and he showed flashes of it here despite that illness. I don't believe we ever saw the real Shawn Taggart. I will be interested to watch him next season, along with Tasheed.