Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cyclists in traffic

I have to first admit that I'm a cycling fanatic, and often ride in various traffic settings......with that said, some cyclists are ******* IDIOTS!

Driving out of downtown tonight I had to watch some dumba$$ give all cycling enthusiasts a bad name. He ran stop signs and attempted to take an entire lane of traffic on a busy street. Instead of waiting in line, like those in cars have to at a busy intersection, he rode the curb to the front of the pack to get back in front of all the cars that were pi$$ed for having to get around him in the first place. The funny part about that, he thought he was entitled to the entire lane when moving, but when stopping he didn't feel the need to maintain said lane.

During the Spring/Summer/Fall I expect to see a fair amount of other cyclists who do stupid stuff. But if you're riding to and from work in the Winter, with snow drifts and other obstacles to contend with, shouldn't you be a little more conscientious about your riding techniques?

Recruit
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Cyclists in traffic

I just get frustrated when there are cyclists on busy streets when there is an open wide sidewalk or bike path right next to the road. Many bikers around campus also seem to think they don't have to obey traffic signs and expect drivers to stop for them.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,103
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

You would think so. But there are idiots involved with everything.

I like riding my bike when the weather is nice. I don't like the idea of riding it on a highway or busy street ever. It's my opinion that bicycles should be kept off of all streets with a speed limit greater than 25 mph. I wish there was a better option for bicyclists that could make this happen.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 108

Ok, before this argument gets going again for the umpteenth time, just a reminder to keep it civil.

That is all.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 190

Quote Originally Posted by ThePollinator View Post
    I just get frustrated when there are cyclists on busy streets when there is an open wide sidewalk or bike path right next to the road. Many bikers around campus also seem to think they don't have to obey traffic signs and expect drivers to stop for them.
    I'm with you on this! Cyclist love to ride on a bridge that I have to cross to and from work. The bridge is probably a bit under a mile and traffic moves at about 60mph. Until some idiot on a bike is on it going 18mph! And yes there is a bike path on this bridge, come to think of it there are two. One on each side!

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    You would think so. But there are idiots involved with everything.

I like riding my bike when the weather is nice. I don't like the idea of riding it on a highway or busy street ever. It's my opinion that bicycles should be kept off of all streets with a speed limit greater than 25 mph. I wish there was a better option for bicyclists that could make this happen.

I like riding in season as well, and don't begrudge people riding whenever they want. Just obey the laws.

I do ride on highways and I ride on trails. In June I'm riding a tran-Iowa ride in a 24 hour period, so it will be all highway (HWY 9), but I will be very aware of my vulnerability and will be respectful of the cars that have to use that roadway. I'm sure some won't appreciate me being there, but I will obey the laws. If I get hurt, I accept that risk.

I just get mad when I see others blatantly disregarding the traffic laws. It breeds contempt from non-cyclists and I feel that wrath later...