Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Negative Reps

Could someone explain the idea behind negative or positive reps are on this site? I've seen some people complain about getting a negative rep after posting an opinion and it befuddles me?

Personally I don't really care if I get a negative or postive post on anything I say? It's my opinion which is important to me and what other people think of the opinion really doesn't enter into the equation for me?

Last edited by Bobber; 04-01-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Negative Reps

It's just a fun little feature. The only reason most people care about the neg rep is when they won't leave their name. I could really care less if they would leave their name so I could ask them directly why they felt the need to call me a homosexual as a derogatory term for posting as he-man.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Personally, I think it's a dumb feature to have.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I'm also not a big fan. I'll leave positive rep for somebody if I feel they explain something really well or give unknown information or even just make me laugh. But a couple things I've noticed that kinda bug me are people censoring themselves to avoid negative rep and not being forced to leave your name when you leave negative rep.

I just think the rep system creates an unnecessary hierarchy and childish bickering.

Last edited by Michael Lastuvka; 04-01-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I don't think the rep system itself creates the hierarchy, but that it's just a part of it. The activity/lengevity bars help create the hierarchy as well. Someone who doesn't post much looks like someone who may not have much of an opinion, or are scared to voice out. The longer someone has been a member, the more credible they can looks as well. I think all those things create the "hierarchy" that you speak of. However, as long as you're not an idiot, you don't put too much stock into those things anyway.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I've come to see negative rep as a positive. Generally, I believe people get it because they have something to say and they say it. That makes a board much more interesting than a gang happy talk sort of place to hang out.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 127

I'm working on either re-doing the rep feature or making it less "important". This morning I took away the green and red rep images that show on a user's information block to minimize the importance somewhat. I personally don't really like or dislike the rep feature but it's one of those things that half of the users like and half don't like. The best I can do is take suggestions and do what the majority wish.

Any other ideas?

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I'm working on either re-doing the rep feature or making it less "important". This morning I took away the green and red rep images that show on a user's information block to minimize the importance somewhat. I personally don't really like or dislike the rep feature but it's one of those things that half of the users like and half don't like. The best I can do is take suggestions and do what the majority wish.

Any other ideas?
    Get rid of it. If someone has a beef with what someone said they can do it publicly on the message board or send a private message.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Could someone explain the idea behind negtive or postive reps are on this site? I've seen some people complain about getting a negative rep after posting an opinion and it befuddles me?
    It is GAY, and whoever came up with the idea is also gay! Like I care what someone on the internet thinks

If you have to be PC when you give your opinion, is it really your opinion? You really don't have an opinion if you don't offend someone. It is like every other kiss ***** system we have in our society and needs to go away.

If you can't handle the Ann Coulter opinion, Hawkreport.com might be the place for you.

Last edited by VII_Fe; 04-01-2007 at 06:25 PM.
    When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Not to kiss ***, but taking away the red and green is a good solution, less noticable but still there for those that want it.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think it's kind of a fun feature. Nobody really makes a big deal about it, but it's a self-esteem booster when you get positive rep. Plus, if somebody doens't have 10,000 rep, that doesn't mean I'll consider their opinion any less than someone who does. It's kind of like poking on facebook, it doesn't serve a purpose, but it's fun to play with.

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Rep is important because it reassures the members of their involvment of the site. Unfortunately, the bad comes with the good, and negative rep is given usually when members go against site rules, or post opinions that are not agreeable.

To have rep still be of some impotance, but not to be misused, maybe rep is given out by the admins and moderators. This way for most members, it will be meaningful to recieve recognition from senior members, and when you see neg rep it is for a more valid reason, as opposed to someone just taking advantage of the function.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Rep is important because it reassures the members of their involvment of the site. Unfortunately, the bad comes with the good, and negative rep is given usually when members go against site rules, or post opinions that are not agreeable.

To have rep still be of some impotance, but not to be misused, maybe rep is given out by the admins and moderators. This way for most members, it will be meaningful to recieve recognition from senior members, and when you see neg rep it is for a more valid reason, as opposed to someone just taking advantage of the function.
    Absolutely not. Moderators already have the power of censorship. Your opinion on if a certain post merits positive or negitive rep carries no more or less weight than somebody without mod status. Mods are not the almighty final word on right and wrong.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 77

who cares, just keep it

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny8 View Post
    I think it's kind of a fun feature. Nobody really makes a big deal about it, but it's a self-esteem booster when you get positive rep.
    That is a good point, I know my day always goes better when my "rep level" is on the rise... NOT!

When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"